GDT: Forgetting the First Half of This Season: Devils @ Senators, 7 PM, MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devs4L

Mar 8, 2006
I know this was sarcasm, but I still back Lou being ousted. It needed to happen.

What I’m confused on is if Shero should have been ousted or not, or if Tom Fitzgerald is simply continuing what Shero started.

I’m not sure if I agree with the decision to fire Shero or not at this point. But I feel confident in saying if things went the same way with two more playoff misses if we hadn’t fired him in 2022, he’d be axed at the end of this year. Because that would be one playoff berth in 7 years and all the guys he acquired in his first few years would have all been gone at least year ago. And that is true, all the guys he did acquire in the early years were gone last year with the departure of Palmieri and and his last offseason move in Subban is out in a few weeks.

With every game this continues, the more I want Fitzgerald gone. That may just be emotion on my part, not thinking clearly, knee-jerk reactionary thinking from the absolute hate I get filled with watching this team lol. Maybe. Whatever. I admit that.

But this team is drowning. Our fan base is literally turning away. Many fans just aren't buying what anyone in this franchise is selling anymore. Period. And you can't expect them to anymore.

And this is the first time as a Devils fan I question the care of the owners. At least, to this level. And that's demoralizing while you watch this team absolutely flounder every night, too.

Reactions: guitarguyvic

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
With every game this continues, the more I want Fitzgerald gone. That may just be emotion on my part, not thinking clearly, knee-jerk reactionary thinking from the absolute hate I get filled with watching this team lol. Maybe. Whatever. I admit that.

But this team is drowning. Our fan base is literally turning away. Many fans just aren't buying what anyone in this franchise is selling anymore. Period. And you can't expect them to anymore.

And this is the first time as a Devils fan I question the care of the owners. At least, to this level. And that's demoralizing while you watch this team absolutely flounder every night, too.

This is exactly how everything gets f***ed up is by making kneejerk changes like this. What has Fitzgerald done wrong to deserve firing?

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
I don’t think firing Fitz would be outlandish (neither is retaining him). Is he willing to do the major surgery to the roster and cut bait with some of the younger players who just haven’t worked out (the Zacha/McLeods of the world)? We just don’t know. He WAS a part of the previous failed regime. So there is doubt in the back of the mind.

I think you need to hear what is plan to move forward. Of course we aren’t ownership, so we don’t know what that is.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I don’t think firing Fitz would be outlandish (neither is retaining him). Is he willing to do the major surgery to the roster and cut bait with some of the younger players who just haven’t worked out (the Zacha/McLeods of the world)? We just don’t know. He WAS a part of the previous failed regime. So there is doubt in the back of the mind.

I think you need to hear what is plan to move forward. Of course we aren’t ownership, so we don’t know what that is.

McLeod is fine, his usage is the problem. McLeod is a perfectly capable 4C who can kill penalties and play 11/12 minutes a night. Don't understand the fixation on him as an issue.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
I mean... when is enough enough with this staff? I get there aren't any really good options out there, but this is just embarrassing for these guys at this point.

I'll get crucified here for this, but I'd take Torts for the rest of the year over this staff

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I do think we’ll see some significant changes this off-season. I expect a significant goalie to be brought in and wouldn’t even be surprised if Blackwood is dealt for that significant goalie. We’d obviously be adding, it wouldn’t just be for Blackwood. He’s an expiring contract after next year (with one more year of RFA) and there’s already been a quote from someone (was it Marty Brodeur? I don’t even know who it was?) implying that Tom still wasn’t sold on Blackwood, but the person giving this quote was. I missed that quote when it first came out, but someone posted it on the main board a few weeks ago. I’ll try to find it.

We’re gonna lock up Bratt and I feel like Zacha has already fallen out of favor here. We don’t use him on special teams like we were and it already appears that he’s sheltered against soft matchups on the ice. That tells me his time is running out here. Maybe he does get a 1-2 year deal, but I can’t see anything more than that. We’ve identified the core and he’s not part of it.

I do wonder about Severson too. Maybe he’s on his way out this deadline? We did trade Coleman with a whole year left at the prior deadline. But I’m gonna say we’re probably keeping him for now. Subban is definitely going and I’m not sure if anyone wants Vesey. Does someone want him for a 5th round pick? I’m not sure.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I mean... when is enough enough with this staff? I get there aren't any really good options out there, but this is just embarrassing for these guys at this point.

I'll get crucified here for this, but I'd take Torts for the rest of the year over this staff
I think I’d take my chances on the next John Hynes over more retreads like Ruff and Torts. I’m not even sure who that guy would be. Gronberg would definitely be it, but I think he’s signed for next year in Europe still.

The honest truth is that Ruff’s series of misfortunes probably saved him the rest of the year. If he’s not out by this weekend then the odds are very low that he’s gone before the season ends. Coaches of bottom feeders are rarely fired in February or later. Guy Boucher was a few years back, but there’s not many.

Ruff getting covid (along with everybody else) and then his father dying (and being out for the Toronto beatings) probably saved him. Because I thought there was a good chance if we lose these first two after the break in Eastern Canada then he might be out before the ST. Louis game or before the next home game and if he wasn’t then it wouldn’t be any point this season.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
I think I’d take my chances on the next John Hynes over more retreads like Ruff and Torts. I’m not even sure who that guy would be. Gronberg would definitely be it, but I think he’s signed for next year in Europe still.

The honest truth is that Ruff’s series of misfortunes probably saved him the rest of the year. If he’s not out by this weekend then the odds are very low that he’s gone before the season ends. Coaches of bottom feeders are rarely fired in February or later. Guy Boucher was a few years back, but there’s not many.

Ruff getting covid (along with everybody else) and then his father dying (and being out for the Toronto beatings) probably saved him. Because I thought there was a good chance if we lose these first two after the break in Eastern Canada then he might be out before the ST. Louis game or before the next home game and if he wasn’t then it wouldn’t be any point this season.

I'd love Gronborg, but I really don't think the timing is right for us to get him unfortunately. If he has a way out of his contract after this season, I'd love to take a chance on him, but I'm doubtful that happens.

I just really don't want to ruin these kids any further with this staff, and system, especially our younger defensemen, which is why I wouldn't mind a retread with a more structured system to finish the season. Though at this point, does it really matter? I guess not, damage is done.

As for Severson, I've never really liked him so I'd gladly move him for a top-6 winger or 1st round pick if we can. I really don't think he is going to re-sign anyway based off his comments this past offseason. I'd rather maximize his value, keep Subban for the rest of the year so we have another RHD, and see what Reilly Walsh can do in Sevs' role next year. We'll probably have to sign a RHD to fill in for Subban next year, preferably a solid PK guy.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I get the appeal of wanting Torts to kick some of these guys around, but I am not convinced his system would get the most out of these guys and he always wears out his welcome.

We really need the next coach to be a guy that is here for more then 2 years. Torts is a guy who is out in 2 years when the players revolt on him.

Sticking with Ruff isn't the answer either. This idea we can't fire him because we just fired Hynes is bunk. Ruff isn't going to last too much longer irregardless. Pull the bandaid now instead of wasting another season next year because you are too afraid of "instability"

Devs4L

Mar 8, 2006
This is exactly how everything gets f***ed up is by making kneejerk changes like this. What has Fitzgerald done wrong to deserve firing?

Nothing. He's been here 7 years. 3 seasons as GM now this season. Everything's fine.

Our two first overall centers are properly surrounded. Our 3rd and 4th lines are set. We have vets that will help the development of the young players. Our top 6 wing needs were properly addressed with Tatar. Seamless fit. Our goaltending situation throughout the organization is rock solid for the foreseeable future. The fans that are absolutely fed up and are currently refusing to watch or go to games are overreacting.

We have the coaching staff we need to keep this all together too. Of this, we're all certain. Clearly. We all wanted Ruff. Not Gallant.

But our prospects are virtual guarantees the way Josefson, Quenneville, Tedenby, Santini, Urbom, Larsson, Merrill, Boucher, Corrente, McLeod(a 12th overall pick) Bergfors, Matteau, Cormier, Blandisi, etc. Were. So we have to just wait for the development. Fitz is smart to do that.

When a once great product has turned to shit for 10 years, it's totally abnormal for consumers not to demand, but only opine that maybe people involved in the creation of that product for 7 of those years shouldn't have complete job security if results don't improve soon.

Vehement defense of those that continue to promise the turn around that never happens of that product is the only way.

Reactions: MauDevils

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
I get the appeal of wanting Torts to kick some of these guys around, but I am not convinced his system would get the most out of these guys and he always wears out his welcome.

We really need the next coach to be a guy that is here for more then 2 years. Torts is a guy who is out in 2 years when the players revolt on him.

Sticking with Ruff isn't the answer either. This idea we can't fire him because we just fired Hynes is bunk. Ruff isn't going to last too much longer irregardless. Pull the bandaid now instead of wasting another season next year because you are too afraid of "instability"
He’s had long stints of 5 years with the Rags, Lightning and Columbus, the only time he was out quickly was with the Canucks.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
We were going to win 1-0 in a shutout tonight? Makes sense. GOaLtenDing iS The prObLem.
Goal three was a bad goal.

he overplayed goal 1 also. I can’t figure out why he slides to his left when the shooter already had the puck and really could only shoot where he shot it on the short side. He totally slides over to his left for no reason and then went back over to the short side but it’s too late.

I actually thought he looked worse than Schmid did in that 5 goal game he last played.

markog

Apr 4, 2008
Slovenia

Montgomery? He did well in Dallas before alcohol issues got him.

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
The biggest issue for me is the time lines. In 3-4 years, watch out because this team will be fire. Cool, but in 3-4 years some of us will be dead. Hate to say it but that’s not chump change when it comes to life. Add those years to years past and it been like 10 crappy years.

The cherry on top, other teams are kicking our butts in the rebuild process. Detroit, LA, Ottawa. Other teams retooled Faster (Rangers, Columbus) So no, I don’t trust the process.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
I do think we’ll see some significant changes this off-season. I expect a significant goalie to be brought in and wouldn’t even be surprised if Blackwood is dealt for that significant goalie. We’d obviously be adding, it wouldn’t just be for Blackwood. He’s an expiring contract after next year (with one more year of RFA) and there’s already been a quote from someone (was it Marty Brodeur? I don’t even know who it was?) implying that Tom still wasn’t sold on Blackwood, but the person giving this quote was. I missed that quote when it first came out, but someone posted it on the main board a few weeks ago. I’ll try to find it.

We’re gonna lock up Bratt and I feel like Zacha has already fallen out of favor here. We don’t use him on special teams like we were and it already appears that he’s sheltered against soft matchups on the ice. That tells me his time is running out here. Maybe he does get a 1-2 year deal, but I can’t see anything more than that. We’ve identified the core and he’s not part of it.

I do wonder about Severson too. Maybe he’s on his way out this deadline? We did trade Coleman with a whole year left at the prior deadline. But I’m gonna say we’re probably keeping him for now. Subban is definitely going and I’m not sure if anyone wants Vesey. Does someone want him for a 5th round pick? I’m not sure.
It is going to be difficult to make changes at goaltending unless Bernier is unable to play next year. Nobody is trading for him. And I don't think we would trade Blackwood yet. Next year may be his last chance though with this team.

This season has been awful to watch, but the reality is our two high picks from the last two drafts aren't on the team yet. They will be a big part of the team and should be plus finishers for their positions.

If you want to look at it from the perspective of what makes you one of the best teams in the league in terms of roster building, getting another high pick might be the ideal outcome. Adding another talented forward is needed and we clearly lack depth up front, so if we can add someone through the draft, have them in the lineup in a few seasons on an ELC while our core guys are on 2nd/3rd contracts, that could be very valuable.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Fitz hasn't been GM for 3 years. He took over in January of 2020 and wasn't officially named GM until July 2020. Firing him this offseason would be stupid and a sign that ownership has no clue what they're doing.

Yeah I can't think of many GM's that have only gotten two years or less unless they were pure interims or it was just something stupid like Neil Smith's cup of coffee Islander tenure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad