News Article: Forget Top Six-Bottom Six, Embrace "Top-12"

Shaun_W_W

Jan 7, 2007
And yet we're still 25th in GA/G and have the 28th ranked penalty kill. So why not try rolling with a 4th line centered by Holland that can actually score instead?

We are ranked poorly for GA/G and penalty kill soo **** it lets just try and score 6 goals a game and not worry about defence:laugh:. I didn't realize that stat was mainly due to our 4th line centre (who we all admit has had to play too much because of injuries/suspensions to 5 of our top 6 centres (Bozak/Kadri/Bolland/Holland/Smith) ie everyone but McClement. Most of us on the board are with you with one of Orr/McLaren paying part time and the other waived, but I think you are wrong about McClement.

p.s. can we kill the "News Article" subheading? I don't think an 18 year old fan who can use word press counts...

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
D'amigos a bottom 6 version of Parise. Fast, good PK guy great two way player, great work ethic and goods hands and has a nose around the net. D'amigo Ashton and Ross look like really intriguing bottom 6ers, not sure about Biggs yet. Leivo and Abbott look like possible decent top sixers in a few years.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
You have got to be kidding me right? You seriously believe that a GM sets out to specifically acquire someone to comfort people in the locker room rather than provide on-ice production?

They value the production more than anything man! Its a myth that leadership actually elevates the play of a team! Its all about whether you can play the game, not whether you can give a great speech before it, that's the coach's job.

And unfortunately you have just proven that you have never played or been associated with the game at any level beyond possibly watching it on TV or playing NHL '14 on a big screen. Players don't exist in a vacuum, and it is frankly laughable that anyone would feel that leadership and defensive acumen is not factored into a player's overall worth to a team. More to hockey than simply points....

cack

Jul 30, 2013
This is nothing but a random blog with not much thought put behind it, not a news article by any stretch of the imagination. If veteran leadership and defensive players are not important one only needs to look at the Edmonton Oilers. Loads of talent, most pathetic franchise in the NHL.

ForSpareParts*

Why does the OP think that re-inventing the wheel hasn't been tried or considered?

MarkLeftBehind

Jun 24, 2013
Alberta
I've never seen anything but a potential 4th line grinder out of Ashton. He tries hard, but he's not very good at anything.

I think that's because that's the only role he has ever been given. He gets 4 minutes a night with other players that are KNOWN to have little to no offensive abilities in McClement + whichever goon Carlyle put in the line up. I think this season was too soon for him to make a jump to the NHL, but I'd like to see him in a more prominent role next year in the preseason with some talent like Kadri or Holland with some actual time to put up points.

This idea is mainly based on what he can produce at the AHL level, albeit in a few number of games this season. I for sure have not written this kid off as garbage like many others.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
There's no difference in a top 6 bottom 6 and how teams have been built for decades , which is a couple of offensive lines , a checking line and a energy bang and crash line . Burke just thinks he invents things by renaming them . It's no different from how he likes to call 2 way players 200 ft players .

His buddy McGuire among others enjoy doing the same thing . Defensive D are now shut down D . The checking line is now the shut down line . We now activate our D when behind .

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
You have got to be kidding me right? You seriously believe that a GM sets out to specifically acquire someone to comfort people in the locker room rather than provide on-ice production?

They value the production more than anything man! Its a myth that leadership actually elevates the play of a team! Its all about whether you can play the game, not whether you can give a great speech before it, that's the coach's job.

And this is why I state "close but yet sooooo far".

I have been playing team sports for 41 years , hockey being the longest lasting and "I promise you, leadership is no myth".

Get it out of your Hollywood movie of the week mentality that leadership has anything to do with "the big speech", ya, in a blue moon "THE SPEECH" has an impact.

But true leadership,real leadership is far far more subtle, sublime and longer committed to and earned then just "the speech".

We are talking about self sacrifice (without looking for acknowledgment) , doing the little things like a pat on the back, willingness to bleed, willingness to be hurt, willingness to back your teammate even tho he is in the wrong (up to a point).

Leadership is showing that you would do the exact same thing and go to the wall as far for that guy in the press box as you would for your star player.

Real leadership/true leadership is far to deep and far more necessary then I can properly illustrate, in truth it has to be lived through to properly understand, because it's about "feeling it".

A tip ; watch some Boston games, see a Allstar like Chara get scrappy for a player like Krug. That is the colour of real leadership.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008

Well it's your fault for thinking that Leadership in pro sports is based around how you described it.

No contending team loads up on developing youngsters for a playoff run for a reason it's because veterans bring the "LEADERSHIP" gained from experience to play the right way on a consistent basis which brings on the production of consistent good play.

You don't have to be a vocal guy to bring leadership you do know that?

TMLFAN4LIFE

Dec 11, 2006
By just watching him play, have we not seen more offensive instincts and prowess from Ashton as opposed to McClement? McClement is anemic in the offensive zone.

Ashton has 10 goals in 14 games this year for the Marlies and played very well during the Marlies playoffs run last year. Granted it is AHL hockey and what I just presented is a small sample size for this years stats, but I would definitely agree with you that Ashton does appear to posses greater offensive prowess than Mcclement ever will, the question is, when will all that potential that we see in Ashton at the AHL level ever translate into NHL success.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad