Forget Babcock... Who will coach Detroit?

wings95

Mar 17, 2009
Georgia
Jeff Blashill, and this has been known for quite some time.

It has been known by who? Do you have sources or is it your opinion? I have read from Detroit papers that Blashill is content right now with the Griffians. He could be just saying that but I am curious where you get your information or do you just have a strong opinion? Thanks!

HockeyThoughts

Delivering The Truth
Jul 23, 2007
Mississauga
Wouldn't shock me if Eakins went to another team and did well.

Not sure why he gets such hate for what has been an 8 year long dumpster fire which he oversaw for not even a year and a half.

I am sure if he had defensive competent players he could have done much better.

This. Half the threads I go into Dallas Eakins is getting showered with hate. He had one bad stint with the league's most consistent bad and hard to coach teams. He made some bad decisions but who doesn't as a 1st year coach facing a nearly insurmountable challenge?

It's going to be funny when Eakins succeeds elsewhere and everyone is all surprised :shakehead

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
So is this Blashill guy thought of very highly within the Red Wings organization? I ask because I honestly don't know.

Yep. He's basically Babcock Jr.

He's already won the Calder cup in his brief time in GR, he spent one year a few years back on the bench with the Wings as assistant coach, has a very calm but powerful persona similar to Babcock, and has pretty much been the forerunner for the HC replacement job for years.

The only thing that makes it interesting this season is the quality of other potential coaches that will be out there, though even with McClellan and potentially a few others, I still think either Babcock or Blashill will be the coach of the Wings next year.

MovesLikeJagr68

Mar 26, 2012
It's expected they promote from Blashill from the AHL. If they don't he'll probably end up somewhere in the NHL anyways.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Paulrus?

I mean- obviously if the stars don't align on the promotion of THE Jeff Blashill, that is.

Guy Boucher.

He would be a FANTASTIC coach for Detroit.

Would be an awesome troll job on the habs, too.

They'd be stuck with Therrien for the foreseeable future.:laugh:

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
It has been known by who? Do you have sources or is it your opinion? I have read from Detroit papers that Blashill is content right now with the Griffians. He could be just saying that but I am curious where you get your information or do you just have a strong opinion? Thanks!

Blashill is one of, if the not the most highly rated coaches outside the NHL. His contract ended last season, but to everyones surprise he did not take an NHL job, instead he signed an extension with Grand Rapids.

Although it was never explicitly stated by anyone in authority, it was pretty much universally agreed by fans and the media that the only reason Blashill would do this is if he had been promised the Wings job in 12 months time, or would be released from his contract if Babcock re-signed with the Wings.

McJeety McJeet

Nov 5, 2011
Edmonton
This. Half the threads I go into Dallas Eakins is getting showered with hate. He had one bad stint with the league's most consistent bad and hard to coach teams. He made some bad decisions but who doesn't as a 1st year coach facing a nearly insurmountable challenge?

It's going to be funny when Eakins succeeds elsewhere and everyone is all surprised :shakehead

Watch a lot of Oilers games do ya? He created new problems. It wouldn't be funny if he succeeds elsewhere it would be miracle on ice #2.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Flash_series_logo.png

The Blash

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
I'd imagine it would be Ted Nolan since he's the best coach in the world according to here.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
Honest question for Detroit fans. Do they even want Babcock to re-sign and continue on? I realize they're rebuilding/retooling on the fly and that lots of the roster is getting turned over so he's not necessarily having the same group of guys over and over... but even still, has the atmosphere perhaps not gotten a little stale with him at the helm? Of course he is a world class coach, one of the best of the best, I'm just curious if the shelf life has expired. Typically NHL coaches tenures are shorter than in most other pro sports.

Could it be a good thing for each party to go their separate ways and Detroit get somebody like McLellan? It's a tough/awkward situation for the club to be in.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
If Babcock doesn't leave, neither does Blashill who is signed for two more years and will not be given permission to talk to other teams.

If Babcock signs they will gladly let Blashill talk to NHL teams and get draft picks or whatever in return. That's why Blashill was given good money and term to stay around, it's either NHL with us soon or it'll be somewhere else but at least we'll get compensation in that scenario.

Honest question for Detroit fans. Do they even want Babcock to re-sign and continue on? I realize they're rebuilding/retooling on the fly and that lots of the roster is getting turned over so he's not necessarily having the same group of guys over and over... but even still, has the atmosphere perhaps not gotten a little stale with him at the helm? Of course he is a world class coach, one of the best of the best, I'm just curious if the shelf life has expired. Typically NHL coaches tenures are shorter than in most other pro sports.

Could it be a good thing for each party to go their separate ways and Detroit get somebody like McLellan? It's a tough/awkward situation for the club to be in.

You will find both camps. I think the anti-Babcock camp is a tad bigger right now tbh and mostly because of the reasons you mentioned. But it'd be Blashill, he's exactly like Babcock except he helped develop a lot of the current roster and it would be a very natural move to make.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad