Forget Babcock... Who will coach Detroit?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
If Babcock doesn't leave, neither does Blashill who is signed for two more years and will not be given permission to talk to other teams.

I would expect he has an NHL HC out clause in his contract. Is there anything to suggest he doesn't? He must've been a hot commodity when he signed the thing. I'd be surprised if it didn't have clause for NHL head coaching offers.

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
If Babcock signs they will gladly let Blashill talk to NHL teams and get draft picks or whatever in return. That's why Blashill was given good money and term to stay around, it's either NHL with us soon or it'll be somewhere else but at least we'll get compensation in that scenario.

You will?

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Honest question for Detroit fans. Do they even want Babcock to re-sign and continue on? I realize they're rebuilding/retooling on the fly and that lots of the roster is getting turned over so he's not necessarily having the same group of guys over and over... but even still, has the atmosphere perhaps not gotten a little stale with him at the helm? Of course he is a world class coach, one of the best of the best, I'm just curious if the shelf life has expired. Typically NHL coaches tenures are shorter than in most other pro sports.

Could it be a good thing for each party to go their separate ways and Detroit get somebody like McLellan? It's a tough/awkward situation for the club to be in.

This whole team is stale, and I think Babcock overworks them to be honest. Detroit is essentially San Jose 2.0 right now.

Declining veterans
Subpar young talent
Too many redundant/mediocre grinders
Unwilling to change their ways or make big roster moves

notheroic

Aug 2, 2005
Fort McMurray, AB
Jeff Blashill has been the contingency plan since day one of Detroit hiring him into the org.

Why do you think they blocked out teams from interviewing him for a job the last time the big coach free for all happened? (FLA, NSH, CAR)

He's won in the AHL(and is currently coaching in the playoffs) and USHL. He's been groomed.

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
No. Julien does not coach Red Wings style hockey. Have to assume Blashill and Mclellan would be the first two considerations.

One thing I've noticed with Julien he's pretty organic. The three NHL teams he has coached were completely different in terms of styles. He really coaches based on the roster he has and it's particular strengths and weaknesses, rather than impose his preconceived notions of how a team should play upon the roster.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Jeff Blashill is the only reason they haven't offered Babcock a contract renewal. I'm sure if they can come to a deal they'll be happy, but if they need to break the bank and give into his demands, then Blashill.

Sleepy

rEf jOsE
Apr 7, 2009
Jeff Blashill is the only reason they haven't offered Babcock a contract renewal. I'm sure if they can come to a deal they'll be happy, but if they need to break the bank and give into his demands, then Blashill.

McLellan as well. Detroit's in a great spot. Assuming the top 3 desirable jobs are Detroit(Org), Edmonton(Young Talent), and Toronto($) they will likely end up with 1 of Babcock/McLellan/Blashill. Since they have the inside track on Blashill, they are in a great position IMO.

My bet is Babcock to Toronto, TM to Edmonton, Blashill in Detroit.

San Jose will be begging for scraps :( Best case scenario may be Tippet :(

bigtimehockeyfan999*

Oilers getting chiarelli, and then mcdavid and now potentially babcock is a massive step forward for that team....they still need to ad vets and a legit goalie....but those are big strides.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Babcock just said he has zero interest in playing the GM role. He's a coach and simply wants to stay coach. He said having the GM role doesn't interest him and that's not where his skillset is. He said where he currently is he already has lots of input and doesn't need more.

SlavaKozlov

Feb 16, 2003
Akron, OH
Visit site
If Babcock signs they will gladly let Blashill talk to NHL teams and get draft picks or whatever in return. That's why Blashill was given good money and term to stay around, it's either NHL with us soon or it'll be somewhere else but at least we'll get compensation in that scenario.

Yeah, I agree with this. They extended Blashill's contract to keep him around in case Babcock leaves. I don't think Blashill is 100% the guy if Babcock leaves, Holland will interview several guys and go through the whole process, but Blashill is certainly a favorite for the job.

If Babcock stays, or the Wings hire someone other than Blashill, there is no doubt that the Wings will let Blashill interview for other NHL head coaching jobs. If the head job in Detroit is not available to him, why force him to stay in the AHL? Yes, he is under contract with the Wings, but they won't force him to stay in the AHL for 2 or 3 more years, how ever long is left on his contract.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Hopefully someone gives Dallas Eakins the job so he can show his secret Corsi formula he won't share but has learned now for his next coaching gig.

So basically he's going to take it to the grave with him.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Hopefully someone gives Dallas Eakins the job so he can show his secret Corsi formula he won't share but has learned now for his next coaching gig.

So basically he's going to take it to the grave with him.

But the team looked "visually" better. :sarcasm:

Todd M isnt coaching Detroit, Not sure why people think this.

I guess because he's one of the few on the open market at the moment and he's a vet coach. Why not throw his name around. /shrug

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
But the team looked "visually" better. :sarcasm:

I guess because he's one of the few on the open market at the moment and he's a vet coach. Why not throw his name around. /shrug

I want Alexander Daigle 2 coach. Not Tommy M

McDeathbyCheerios*

This. Half the threads I go into Dallas Eakins is getting showered with hate. He had one bad stint with the league's most consistent bad and hard to coach teams. He made some bad decisions but who doesn't as a 1st year coach facing a nearly insurmountable challenge?

It's going to be funny when Eakins succeeds elsewhere and everyone is all surprised :shakehead
He destroyed players confidence, while he was here this year all our young guns were on pace for extreme career lows.

Nelson a rookie coach came in and had the team playing hard, completely turned around the pp and had players producing again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad