Forbes: Atlanta Thrashers Will Likely Be Sold For $110 Million

Status
Not open for further replies.

Potrzebie

Mar 25, 2010
I don't believe ASG has, "washed their hands of this team and has said they no longer want to pay for losses."Heck, from one of the other articles, Gearon is mentioning becoming a minority investor.

People saw the smoke when Gearon mentioned selling the team back in Feburary, but it wasn't because Atlanta was burning. It was more like smoke signals, to draw attention to the team. Too many people are wrapped up in believing there's a full on fire-sale.

The Thrashers are staying in Atlanta next year. All bets are off once the Coyotes sale is completed or a ton more "issues" within ASG.

“If we are faced with that as the only alternative, that’s what’s going to happen,” Gearon told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution in an exclusive interview Tuesday. “I don’t think there is an ability to stomach another $20 million in losses. We just can’t do it.
“The reality is we need fans showing up and we need investors, or a primary investor.”

http://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-thrashers/owner-sense-of-urgency-840692.html

Was there any other way to read that?

Potrzebie

Mar 25, 2010
The main hole in this theory is that during the court case, ASG was required to provide any and all information that would have helped the court determine the value of the Thrashers and the value of Belkin's majority share. Such as evidence of any due diligence that you suggest.

Because all the documents from this court where made available to the public, we know for a fact that this is not the case. No documents indicate that any serious discussions were made between ASG and a buyer.

The most (and Gearon has confirmed this) was rudimentary "kicking the tires" interest, which soon dissipated after the Brawl with Belkin (alliteration lol) began.

So when you suggest that ASG, while the court case was occurring, did anything more than kicking tires talks, then they are liable to held in contempt of court, for withholding valuable documents.

...or maybe the lack of documentation was due to a lack of serious buyers and there really was nothing to report. Besides, I thought ASG were all liars anyway...? :)

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
I'll tell you what is rich; that you are still trying to build your Doug MacLean strawman.

Rogers Sportsnet is a television network broadcast in Canada. I suspect you don't watch it much in Ohio, given that it isn't available there. Yet you presume to speak on behalf of on air personalities of a network you can't watch. I believe you are probably confusing Rogers Sportsnet with the Fan 590 radio station, which is also owned by Rogers. Yes, MacLean did have a publicized spat with Bob McCown a year or two ago, but FYI, Bob McCown, a singular radio host mind you, does not equate to "most of the on air talent at Rogers Sportsnet", nor those at Fan 590 for that matter. McCown also refuses to speak MacLean's name now, so I'm unsure of how that equates to his regularly holding MacLean up for ridicule as you claimed, given that McCown won't even say the guy's name. If you want to participate in the discussion, try to get your facts straight.

I'm talking about Rogers Sportsnet. As you posted you don't know who I am. You don't know where I go or who I know. Perhaps you should attempt to find out. Forget the Bobcat.

Listen to Kypper, Broadhead, Brophy, Berger, Millard, Spector or anyone else there. They seem to share a singular opinion. What was even funnier was when Bill Watters was on.

Grudy0

Mar 16, 2011
Maryland
“If we are faced with that as the only alternative, that’s what’s going to happen,” Gearon told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution in an exclusive interview Tuesday. “I don’t think there is an ability to stomach another $20 million in losses. We just can’t do it.
“The reality is we need fans showing up and we need investors, or a primary investor.”

http://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-thrashers/owner-sense-of-urgency-840692.html

Was there any other way to read that?
HFBoards are subject to the immediate concept that the Thrashers want out now, simply by redefining the statements within that February article.

The Thrashers did not have $20 million of losses this year. The records are showing about $8 million this year.

And according to the last couple of article over the last couple of days, there are at least two investors willing to look at the Thrashers, even if those people are out of town.

That appears to be quite a far cry from wanting out now. Smoke, and the assumption is the city is burning and about to implode.

borno87

Dec 16, 2010
HFBoards are subject to the immediate concept that the Thrashers want out now, simply by redefining the statements within that February article.

The Thrashers did not have $20 million of losses this year. The records are showing about $8 million this year.

And according to the last couple of article over the last couple of days, there are at least two investors willing to look at the Thrashers, even if those people are out of town.

That appears to be quite a far cry from wanting out now. Smoke, and the assumption is the city is burning and about to implode.

It amazes me that you completely ignore the quotes from Gearon in your own post.

Gearon isn't predicting that the Thrashers are going to lose another $20M next season, he is stating that no one in ASG is willing to accept the risk of that happening again, and therefor they "can’t do it"

You can't discredit a direct quote from Gearon himself.

“If we are faced with that as the only alternative, that’s what’s going to happen,â€

Grudy0

Mar 16, 2011
Maryland
It amazes me that you completely ignore the quotes from Gearon in your own post.

Gearon isn't predicting that the Thrashers are going to lose another $20M next season, he is stating that no one in ASG is willing to accept the risk of that happening again, and therefor they "can’t do it"

You can't discredit a direct quote from Gearon himself.
“If we are faced with that as the only alternative, that’s what’s going to happen,”
Discredit a direct quote from Gearon? The very first paragraph of that same article from Feburary:
Atlanta Spirit co-owner Michael Gearon said there is now a “sense of urgency” to find additional investors or a buyer willing to keep the Thrashers in Atlanta. If the ownership group does not get additional financial help in the near future the franchise could be sold and moved to another city.​
Instead, the rumor mill has the Thrashers packing their bags for Winnipeg right now.

I am not ignoring anything. Yes, there are troubles. No, the Thrashers will not be sold and moved until the Coyotes situation is exhausted and ASG has exhausted all options in finding a buyer to keep the team local. But don't take my word for it...
“We need fan support. We need investors,” Gearon said. “I would love to have other members of the Atlanta community step up and take a lead role in this and I would be glad to stay in. We need support. We’ve put a lot of money into this team.”​
As was stated, you can't discredit a direct quote from Gearon himself.

Last edited:

Fugu

I admit to not following this story as closely as some. Can you remind us where these losses are cited? Thanks.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
...or maybe the lack of documentation was due to a lack of serious buyers and there really was nothing to report. Besides, I thought ASG were all liars anyway...? :)

That is what I am saying.

The fact that there is no documentation means that ASG did not engage in serious discussions with anyone about the sale of the Thrashers.

Potrzebie

Mar 25, 2010

I was not attempting to redefine anything. I was responding to your statement that you did not believe ASG had said they no longer want to pay for losses. Gearon said exactly this in the quoted interview. I have no idea if they want out now but I think one could reasonably assume given the losses involved and Gearon's statements in February about not having the stomach for another year of losses, that they would be looking at the sooner the better.

Grudy0

Mar 16, 2011
Maryland
I admit to not following this story as closely as some. Can you remind us where these losses are cited? Thanks.
It was within a thread somewhere around here. I'll have to look for it.

Edit: I got it from the Version 3.0 Atlanta Thrashers' thread.

Last edited:

Grudy0

Mar 16, 2011
Maryland
I was not attempting to redefine anything. I was responding to your statement that you did not believe ASG had said they no longer want to pay for losses. Gearon said exactly this in the quoted interview. I have no idea if they want out now but I think one could reasonably assume given the losses involved and Gearon's statements in February about not having the stomach for another year of losses, that they would be looking at the sooner the better.
No, I wrote:
I don't believe ASG has, "washed their hands of this team and has said they no longer want to pay for losses."​
The exact quote does not match this statement verbatim. I was replying to another poster, using their exact quote. And notice that nowhere in a quoted article did it say ASG wanted to wash their hands of this team nor state they can't stomach another year of losses. They would love to have the Thrashers around under new ownership and even be a minority owner in the franchise. ASG doesn't want to own the team outright anymore.

Like I said, ASG (specifically Gearon) started smoke signals back in February. However, I am simply trying to point out that many are in the belief that Thrashers-to-Winnipeg is practically a done deal, by using the leap of faith that ASG doesn't want to pay for losses anymore and have practically handed the keys over to the NHL to do with as they wish, when even the reports over the past couple of days suggest otherwise.

ThrasherMinion

Just Chucky
Oct 2, 2006
Gearon: "unfair to say we are cheap with the HAWKS! 7th highest payroll in the NBA."

Kincade: "Your hockey team is the lowest or one of the lowest payrolls."

Gearon: Let's talk about basketball.

Kincade: "what about the Winnipeg rumors? What about the fans?"

Gearon: "Blah, blah, blah. No promises. I suck, Septocluster sucks, but WE ARE BLAMING THE FANS!!!!" Yes, he blamed the fans after saying that they have a low payroll and cares more about Basketball!!!!

Nice.

Totally deflecting all questions and talking about basketball again.

I'd like to take a hobnailed boot to his jejunum.

Kincade is grilling him, Gearon is sounding like an ass. He HAS NOT disputed Kincade's buyer, in fact he started to say yes, but then said he's already been fined by the league once for talking and then he talked basketball....again.

BACK TO BASKETBALL!!! Upon Kincade's question about hockey!!!!!
This is what we hate!
He's talking Lebron and the Celtics after a hockey question!!!!!

Last edited:

atl thrasher344

Believe in Blueland
Nov 23, 2010
Atlanta, GA
if you believe that all of this will shake down a year from now you have a surprise coming.
I think that if you think it will go down next week, then you have a surprise coming, too.

It was supposed to happen twice last week, what about that? We'll just ignore that because it was just a "timing issue?"

ThrasherMinion

Just Chucky
Oct 2, 2006
Kincade continues to ask hockey questions!

Gearon continues to wear the skirt!
He said the Arena would definitely lose value without the hockey team.

He said he knows there would be a black mark against him and the basketball team if the Thrashers left.

He's still the same idiot we think he is. He went right back to basketball. Jackass.

Gotta give Kincade credit for his questions. He didn't let Gearon off the hook but Gearon just wasted time until the end.

Kincade: WE BOTH KNOW THERE IS AN OUTSIDE INTEREST THAT WANTS ALL OF IT...

Gearon: "YES. But I want to find a local person to give us money as a minority or majority owner. I don't want to sell my basketball interest."

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
I'd like to take a hobnailed boot to his jejunum.

Kincade is grilling him, Gearon is sounding like an ass. He HAS NOT disputed Kincade's buyer, in fact he started to say yes, but then said he's already been fined by the league once for talking and then he talked basketball....again.

Did he specify which league fined him?

Assuming it was the NHL, then that is VERY interesting news indeed. Does the NHL have the power to fine owners for talking about their business? Or is the sale of the Thrashers automatically considered league business?

Or is the NHL, in fact, helping the sale of the Thrashers along? Could you provide anymore context, Minion?

ThrasherMinion

Just Chucky
Oct 2, 2006
He said, "Yes, but you know, I've already been fined by one league, I don't need another."

Fined for Anti-Tampering rules in the NBA. Nothing NHL.

http://www.nba.com/2010/news/05/27/gearon.fined/index.html

Had to do with Joe Johnson's new contract.

He's an idiot, but he's not allowed to breach the NDA either, I assume. Remember, David McDavid made out like a bandit because of wrangling at the end of the exclusivity period, so there are scars and should be fear during negotiations. There can't be any true comments until exclusivity is reached. There are currently 2 groups working against each other.

He might be crying for local investors because he's the only one left and he might be forced out by "outside buyers" if he can't create his own group to bail him out. I haven't heard anything from any of the other 6 and haven't even seen them in Hawks coverage.

Last edited:

ThrasherMinion

Just Chucky
Oct 2, 2006
IF Gearon is the only stomach left in the Septogarbage, then it's just a waiting game to get him to turn over the last key to the executive washroom.

He's the only local guy (he covered Seydel's cash calls from what I've heard) and the rest of the group really never showed any interest in anything.

He's on the radio with the "death wails" perhaps because he sees the end of his line as the others will vote him down and be willing to sell to the Bundy. No one cares about out-of-town ownership. 6/8 of the original Cluster were from outside and he didn't care a flip then. No, I'm starting to think he's the last leaf on the branch and after the BBall team gets blown away, so will he.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad