Forbes: Atlanta Thrashers Will Likely Be Sold For $110 Million

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
If true, that is a shame.

A damn shame.

EDIT: Oh, I see what you are saying. There are no local parties interested, but there are parties interested in keeping the team local.

So it does not kill "The Balkan".

The gist of the article is:

“We continue to have discussions with different prospective investors or buyers of the franchise,” Gearon told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution this week. “The comments I made in February generated some preliminary interest. I wish there was more. There are some people we are talking to, but nothing that is far enough along at this stage that it deserves further comment.”

Since February, the Spirit has had at least preliminary talks with several individuals or groups interested in buying the Thrashers and keeping them in Atlanta. Some parties also have expressed interest in the Spirit’s other holdings: the Hawks and the Philips Arena operating rights. But there is no indication that a deal is close with any of the parties.

“There is still a sense of urgency, and that has not changed one bit,” Gearon said. “Each day that goes by, we need to find a solution.”

Gearon: “But we need others in the community that are willing to come in and either invest alongside us or buy the franchise. I would be more than happy to stay in and roll over my equity and continue to participate as a minority partner.”

Thrashers president Don Waddell has been dealing with prospective purchasers who are interested in keeping the team in Atlanta. He told the AJC this week that two such prospects are currently in the mix, both from out of town.

“I’m optimistic we have some potential buyers out there,” Waddell said. “Is anything close? No. These things always take time. The disappointing thing is we don’t have anybody locally. There was one local group early on, but they faded away.”

Last edited:

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
Important thing to note here, is that Waddell handles Thrashers talk only. Waddell has said he is not involved in discussion regarding the entire package.

Assuming the Balkan is real, this article does not kill anything (and we all have our own opinions on whether or not The Balkan is real, so I'll leave it at that).

Bobster231*

If people are still claming there is a Balkan even after ASG just admitted there isn't once you need to give your head a shake... You can thank Kincade for the Balkin lies...

I mean seriously.. Gearon just said there are no local buyers for the Thrashers.. What else will it take to dismiss this Balkan?

Do you put your faith in a shoe or Gearon? I feel bad for Atlanta fans having to deal with this false hope... You guys deserve better.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
If people are still claming there is a Balkan even after ASG just admitted there isn't once you need to give your head a shake... You can thank Kincade for the Balkin lies...

I mean seriously.. Gearon just said there are no local buyers for the Thrashers.. What else will it take to dismiss this Balkan?

Do you put your faith in a shoe or Gearon? I feel bad for Atlanta fans having to deal with this false hope... You guys deserve better.

Kincade's already said that The Balkan is not a local owner.

If you want to believe or not believe that The Balkan exists, that's your business. But Gearon and Waddell said nothing that disproves (or proves, for that matter) that The Balkan exists.

I'm going to assume you made the same mistake I did, and mistook no local interest as no interest in keeping the team local. There is a difference, and Waddell pointed out that while there is no local interest, there is interest in keeping the team in Atlanta.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Kincade's already said that The Balkan is not a local owner.

If you want to believe or not believe that The Balkan exists, that's your business. But Gearon and Waddell said nothing that disproves (or proves, for that matter) that The Balkan exists.

I'm going to assume you made the same mistake I did, and mistook no local interest as no interest in keeping the team local. There is a difference, and Waddell pointed out that while there is no local interest, there is interest in keeping the team in Atlanta.

A local owner means someone who will own the team locally. I am quite sure the zip code of where he sleeps is irrelevant.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
A local owner means someone who will own the team locally. I am quite sure the zip code of where he sleeps is irrelevant.

Right, I made the mistake of thinking it meant no one wanted to own the team in Atlanta (ie only interest was in moving them).

EDIT: Waddell says in the article that there are 2 people who want to buy the Thrashers, while not local (ie based in Atlanta), want to keep the team there.

Thrashers president Don Waddell has been dealing with prospective purchasers who are interested in keeping the team in Atlanta. He told the AJC this week that two such prospects are currently in the mix, both from out of town.

Last edited:

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
Right, I made the mistake of thinking it meant no one wanted to own the team in Atlanta (ie only interest was in moving them).

Ahhhhh....I'm pretty sure that is what he is saying.

Local owner=someone who won't move the team.

Since there are no local owner types who are interested in the team, then the 2 prospective buyers want to move the team.

This is, at least, what I could gather.

btn

Gone Hollywood
Feb 27, 2002
ATL
Visit site
While I understand there is a segment of the population that desperately wants to disprove there is no Balkan, bear this in mind. The Balkan, according to Kincade, wants to purchase all three, and the article early on mentions interest in all of the Spirit properties.

The fact that there is not just one, but two different groups that want to keep the Thrashers in Atlanta is good news. I could care less where they live. There is a good chunk of the current ownership that lives in Atlanta, and they could care less about hockey. Local owners are overrated, ask the Sabres if they care where their new owner lives.

GSC2k2*

Ahhhhh....I'm pretty sure that is what he is saying.

Local owner=someone who won't move the team.

Since there are no local owner types who are interested in the team, then the 2 prospective buyers want to move the team.

This is, at least, what I could gather.

Some people either are nto very good at reading, or read very selectively. From the article, quoted above:

btn

Gone Hollywood
Feb 27, 2002
ATL
Visit site
Heck isn't the guy trying to buy the Yotes from Chicago.

I think it is hilarious that TSN puts up a new article based on the AJC article headlined "Thrashers having trouble finding local investors" when their article clearly states TWO groups are interested in keeping the team in Atlanta.

It seems as if they are intentionally misleading readers with that title, no?

borno87

Dec 16, 2010
Another case of people reading different stories in the same report.

The AJC article is titled, "Uncertain Future Looms over Thrashers"

TSN's title doesn't really stray too far from that theme.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
Some people either are nto very good at reading, or read very selectively. From the article, quoted above:

And some people have trouble with the word "not" ;)

Reading what Superduper posted, vs what Anton said, created lots of confusion. "Local means wanting to keep the team there" and "Wadell stating he's disappointed there's no local interest". Didn't see the article. Easy to miss stuff on the mobile version of this board. My bad.

atl thrasher344

Believe in Blueland
Nov 23, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Another case of people reading different stories in the same report.

The AJC article is titled, "Uncertain Future Looms over Thrashers"

TSN's title doesn't really stray too far from that theme.

One deliberately misleads the reader (for the sole purpose of hits, gossip, and propaganda) and one just states a fact. There's a difference.

Is the Thrashers' future uncertain? Yes.

Are they having trouble finding local investors? No. There are two that are interested in just the Thrashers (if I read that right).

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
You seem to be confusing being paid to act as a front-man for a potential ownership group with actual interest in ownership itself. MacLean also played that role for Balsillie for a few months. He was simply acting as a hired consultant in both cases.

You also state that he makes things up and claims them as facts; perhaps they are facts but don't fit in with your own narrative so you dispute their veracity? Again, I'm much more inclined to take the word of a former NHL GM than would I the words of a clearly disgruntled and anonymous fan of the franchise that GM used to manage.

This is way off topic though, as such is also my last post on the matter. If you wish to further attempt to straw man Doug MacLean for some bizarre reason, carry on.

That's rich. I was responding to someone's post. You felt compelled to weigh in, flame me a little bit, then when I respond to you, you accuse me of building a strawman.

MacLean is a bull *******. If you don't want to believe that, that's your prerogative. I think you'll find most of the on air talent at Rogers Sportsnet hold an opinion much like mine. For some reason, they regularly hold MacLean up for ridicule. If you didn't want to participate in the discussion, why did you choose to jump in?

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
there is a big difference in
FINDING LOCAL INVESTORS
and
FINDING INVESTOR TO KEEP THE TEAM LOCAL

there might be an investor to buy the team and keep them in atlanta
however they might not LIVE in atlanta

borno87

Dec 16, 2010
One deliberately misleads the reader (for the sole purpose of hits, gossip, and propaganda) and one just states a fact. There's a difference.

Is the Thrashers' future uncertain? Yes.

Are they having trouble finding local investors? No. There are two that are interested in just the Thrashers (if I read that right).

It's pretty clear from the comments that ASG only wants to sell their sake in the Thrashers. Gearon's original cry for help in February was in reference to only the Thrashers. Now a few months later, it's a very similar call for help, and you'll notice that Gearon is not quoted as saying anything about a group buying all 3 or "the Balkan"

Again, read quotes carefully. Gearon emphasizes the urgency of the situation of the Thrashers, and reiterates that neither of the groups has gone far enough the elicit an optimistic quote. He pays lip service the market and his desire for the team to stay, however offers no optimism and again repeats his call for new investors/ownership.

If Gearon had any confidence in the interested parties currenty engaged, why would he be talking to the press calling for more investors? Don't tell me it's to drive the price up... As Gearon says, every day it becomes more urgent.

Also interesting to compare Gearon's statements about urgency with Waddel's assertion that the purchasers need time.

dj4aces

Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
It's pretty clear from the comments that ASG only wants to sell their sake in the Thrashers. Gearon's original cry for help in February was in reference to only the Thrashers. Now a few months later, it's a very similar call for help, and you'll notice that Gearon is not quoted as saying anything about a group buying all 3 or "the Balkan"

I think people are so used to the saga in Phoenix, that they forget what a real sale looks like.

That is, very little, if any at all, is conducted in public.

As I've said before, this is going to be a long and bumpy ride. Strap in tight.

borno87

Dec 16, 2010
I think people are so used to the saga in Phoenix, that they forget what a real sale looks like.

That is, very little, if any at all, is conducted in public.

As I've said before, this is going to be a long and bumpy ride. Strap in tight.

Go take a look at the Dallas thread, plenty of information about serious buyers, include one who is in an exclusive period of negotiations (not to mention the fact that we know his name).

peter sullivan

Winnipeg
Apr 9, 2010
that is quite an odd article....its almost two separate articles cobbled into one....certainly full of mixed messages...you can read whatever you want from it.

gearon's comments are totally pessimistic and it is difficult to believe that he is upset that nobody who lives in atlanta wants to buy the team while there are two groups who live elsewhere but want to keep it there....certainly if there were real buyers wanting to remain in atlanta he would not have waxed poetic about urgency and the children not having a team.

it makes little sense that he wouldnt answer the question regarding relocation with something like, there are outsiders willing to keep the team here...i'm optimistic it will stay, regardless of where the buyers live.

hulsizer is considered a local buyer, not because he lives in phoenix but because he doesnt want to relocate.

then the article makes a dramatic about face and waddell suddenly sounds optimistic that there are buyers to keep the team there.

and then he says this: “Is anything close? No."

this brings me back to my original point.....if the coyotes are saved in glendale in the coming days, how long does TNSE's $170m cheque sit on ASG's desk?....that offer if it comes, will arrive within weeks or even days...will they get from 'nothing close' to 'close enough to risk it' in that short time?

Last edited:

dj4aces

Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
Go take a look at the Dallas thread, plenty of information about serious buyers, include one who is in an exclusive period of negotiations (not to mention the fact that we know his name).

All this stuff has come out recently. How long has Dallas been on the market?

Don't give me that. The impression that big negotiations like this are conducted in public on a regular basis is preposterous.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
ASG (Waddell) is talking with some people about purchasing the Thrashers. This purchase will take a while.

Really, the only thing that we learned that was not already known was the fact that no Atlanta based investors stepped forward to help with the sale of the Thrashers.

At least we can now confirm that there is interest in keeping the team local.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->