Proposal: For the Krug-Bartkowski Believers: Make a Deal

ORRMAN

Dec 3, 2008
This is a thread for believers: Krug and Bartkowski are ready for prime time. I understand and respect others who are not, but, again, this is not a thread for non-believers. All opinions are welcome, nevertheless.

Based on the foregoing, trade a current D for something of equal value and show us the D-pairings and lines:

Trade: Boychuk for Marcus Johansson - Will take about $2.5 million per to sign him (Boychuk is scheduled to make $3.1 million this season). I chose Boychuk because of his age, value, and contract. McQuaid is not a top-4 D and would not get us as much, and I like his toughness.

Kelly for whatever draft picks he generates. Probably get a second at the trade deadline.

Lines

1. Lucic-Krecji-Erikkson (I know this is not conventional wisdom, but I think having toughness and speed on the top two lines is worth whatever compromises this creates)
2. Marchand-Bergeron-Iginla
3. Soderberg-Johannson-Knight/Spooner
4. Paille-Campbell-Thornton
Kelly

1. Chara-Krug (save Chara a lot of chasing/retrieving pucks)
2. Hamilton-Seidenberg
3. McQuaid-Bartkowski
Redden

Third line could be a real offensive threat. Defensive pairings can move the puck. Johannson is a potential top-6 winger when Iggy decides to call it quits (wrong side, I know).

God, I cannot wait for the season to start!

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
If I had my way I`d move Quaider first as I think his skill set is easier to replace but in a cap world we know who`d be going first.

As for trade target?? Geez, lost on that one, JB now has 2 Cup appearances and a ring, is there someone else who can play the role he does right now even available?

Last edited:

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
I think I've move Seids just bc he is a free agent. I like JB's rocket shot and open ice hits, and Darth Quaiders intimidation factor too much too move them. I'm certainly looking forward to next year as well.

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
I think we have 7 Dmen that are ready to play in the NHL. Three of which can gain valuable expeince from watching a few games from the press box. Injuries will happen, I would not be comfortable with anything else. I see the present as a perfect situation

don

Aug 31, 2002
Nashua, NH
I think I've move Seids just bc he is a free agent. I like JB's rocket shot and open ice hits, and Darth Quaiders intimidation factor too much too move them. I'm certainly looking forward to next year as well.

As much as I like Seidenberg I have to agree with your choice of which, if any, D-men to trade but I'd see if anyone was interested in Krug or Bartkowski first. Edmonton is loaded with good prospective D-men so I wonder if they would be interested in Iginla plus Krug for two of them. I'm not 100% sold on Bartkowski and/or Krug.

ORRMAN

Dec 3, 2008
I agree that I would move Seidenberg first, if he had decent value, but his contract is expiring and he'll be a UFA: no one's giving much for him unless it is a trade deadline deal. I believe that Krug and Bartkowski are ready for prime time, so I would try to gain assets by moving Boychuk (he has the most value of our D other than Chara). I think we could get a first rounder and a solid prospect or someone like Johannson.

If you "believe," would you trade Boychuk for a first round pick and a solid prospect or for someone like Johannson?

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Our defense is perfect for going into this season. I personally like Bart more than Krug but having those two gives us some insurance in case one of the two or Hamilton doesn't perform up to expectations. As much as I like these three young guys, I wouldn't feel comfortable trading away our 3rd best defenseman to make more room, especially considering we just lost our 4th best defenseman. We have a great #1 d-man, a great #2, and a good #3. Beyond that we have a good #6 and 3 unproven young guys. That's not enough stability to go trading either our #2 or #3.

Hamilton will be a lock for a top 6 spot as a right-handed shot, but let Bart and Krug battle it out for that spot beside McQuaid. Competition is a good thing, and it will be great to have one of them as an option to come in in case of injury. They're both RFAs at the end of the year, so it's not like it will be easy for them to bolt if they don't like their ice time (not to mention there should definitely be a full-time spot for both next year).

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Our defense is perfect for going into this season. I personally like Bart more than Krug but having those two gives us some insurance in case one of the two or Hamilton doesn't perform up to expectations. As much as I like these three young guys, I wouldn't feel comfortable trading away our 3rd best defenseman to make more room, especially considering we just lost our 4th best defenseman.

Hamilton will be a lock for a top 6 spot as a right-handed shot, but let Bart and Krug battle it out for that spot beside McQuaid. Competition is a good thing, and it will be great to have one of them as an option to come in in case of injury. They're both RFAs at the end of the year, so it's not like it will be easy for them to bolt if they don't like their ice time (not to mention there should definitely be a full-time spot for both next year).

I agree.

Gives us a very balanced top-6, whether the 6th guy is Krug or Bart. Both are great skaters, Krug brings a lot more to the PP and offense while Bart is a bit more balanced. Also gives us better depth, both have proven they can be effective at the NHL level. If someone gets injured, Boychuk and McQuaid in particular are usually good to miss a couple of games, you have a great guy you can suit up and not lose much productivity unless it's Chara.

I really like the new element Krug, Hamilton, and Bartkowski bring to our game. A lot more mobility. Just watching how the Blackhawks got to every puck before we cleared it drove me insane. You have your shutdown guys in Chara, Seids, Boychuk, and McQuaid, you know what you're getting from them. Although both Krug and Hamilton need to learn a lot more defensively, they're extremely young and will have a vet to lean on a bit. We're in a win-now situation. Trading any of our top-7 guys would be a mistake unless we pair one of them with prospects/picks for a better one. Last thing we need is another Washington situation where McQuaid got hurt and Zanon-Corvo is a defensive pairing.

doc5hole

Nov 30, 2003
www.southcoasttoday.com
I believe Bartkowski is a potential top-four defenseman in the Seidenberg mold if not class, and Krug has already established himself as a top-sixer. If belief in Krug's case necessitates top-four, then I'm not on board. If he shows more straight-line, open-ice speed, then sign me up.
Meantime, the Bruins are very particular about their right and left shots, and reconfigurations -- if they want at all to take into account how this coaching staff deploys the sides -- might want to take this into consideration. For instance, Seidenberg is the only left shot who plays right side. Krug did so to some degree in the AHL but not yet in the NHL, and Claude Julien is not about to skate him stick inside in his first full NHL season. Not gonna happen. Andrew Ference was the only other defenseman that Julien used on his off-side, but only under duress.
The rest of the gang, the way they shoot is the side they play, so Chara is never a right (he was in the NHL before coming to the Bruins but never with the Bruins now seven years down the road), Bart is a left and Krug is a left.
Boychuk, Hamilton and McQuaid are all right shots and none have ever played left side for Julien.
So reconfigurations, if they want a connection to current team direction, will take these realities into account.

With Ference gone, moving Seids for a forward would lock Bart or Krug into a top-four position, skating a rookie with Boychuk or another rookie. It's simply not a widgetry the Bruins would consider for this season. It also runs philosophically opposed to the entire offseason approach (ie. moving Seguin and Peverley for a proven winger and replacing Horton with the closest physical approximate, all so they can spin the same top and hope for as good or better result).

If I believed in Bart for top-four right now, I would consider dealing a right-sider, and that would have to be McQuaid. Boychuk is too dynamic a player to let go when I don't have a top-3 PMD. Boychuk becomes expendable if I had Yandle, for instance. But not Seids when he's the only guy Julien trusts on either side of the ice on a regular basis.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
I like having 7 NHL caliber defenseman for a change and I think the team is in good shape for now, revisit after Thanksgiving (The American one:))

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
I believe Bartkowski is a potential top-four defenseman in the Seidenberg mold if not class, and Krug has already established himself as a top-sixer. If belief in Krug's case necessitates top-four, then I'm not on board. If he shows more straight-line, open-ice speed, then sign me up.
Meantime, the Bruins are very particular about their right and left shots, and reconfigurations -- if they want at all to take into account how this coaching staff deploys the sides -- might want to take this into consideration. For instance, Seidenberg is the only left shot who plays right side. Krug did so to some degree in the AHL but not yet in the NHL, and Claude Julien is not about to skate him stick inside in his first full NHL season. Not gonna happen. Andrew Ference was the only other defenseman that Julien used on his off-side, but only under duress.
The rest of the gang, the way they shoot is the side they play, so Chara is never a right (he was in the NHL before coming to the Bruins but never with the Bruins now seven years down the road), Bart is a left and Krug is a left.
Boychuk, Hamilton and McQuaid are all right shots and none have ever played left side for Julien.
So reconfigurations, if they want a connection to current team direction, will take these realities into account.

With Ference gone, moving Seids for a forward would lock Bart or Krug into a top-four position, skating a rookie with Boychuk or another rookie. It's simply not a widgetry the Bruins would consider for this season. It also runs philosophically opposed to the entire offseason approach (ie. moving Seguin and Peverley for a proven winger and replacing Horton with the closest physical approximate, all so they can spin the same top and hope for as good or better result).

If I believed in Bart for top-four right now, I would consider dealing a right-sider, and that would have to be McQuaid. Boychuk is too dynamic a player to let go when I don't have a top-3 PMD. Boychuk becomes expendable if I had Yandle, for instance. But not Seids when he's the only guy Julien trusts on either side of the ice on a regular basis.

Nice work, Doc --nailed it, per-usual.
You've been saying this for years (about Julien's formulas for L and R handed Dmen) and have been right every time, yet many people continue to throw out combos that do not take this into account.

Since game 6 ended I think we've been locked into this:

Chara--Hamilton
Seids--Boychuk
Krug/rotating with Bartowski --McQuaid

Of course, Hamilton can go up or down between mentoring with Chara and Seids.

What would be GREAT is if both Krug and Bart look like world beaters and then, down the stretch (post-Olympics) you could rotate Chara out for a game here and there:

Seids--Hamilton
Bartowski--Boychuk
Krug--McQuaid

It would do the big fella some good.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
You've been saying this for years (about Julien's formulas for L and R handed Dmen) and have been right every time, yet many people continue to throw out combos that do not take this into account.

Chara--Hamilton
Seids--Boychuk

What would be GREAT is if both Krug and Bart look like world beaters and then, down the stretch (post-Olympics) you could rotate Chara out for a game here and there:

Seids--Hamilton
Bartowski--Boychuk
Krug--McQuaid

Even if they don't sit him, he needs to see less ice time.

He didn't get exposed in the Blackhawks series like a lot of people said he did, he was playing 30 minutes a game against one of the fastest teams in the NHL. Especially down the stretch in the regular season, he needs to play less. He's a physical monster and is in the best shape of his life, but he's 36. Hamilton, Krug, and Bart are all pretty experienced for their age. Bart and Krug played terrific in the Rangers series, Krug was very consistent for the rest of the ride. Hamilton had his struggles during the season and playoffs, but he just turned 20. Can't think of many defenseman who made a huge impact on their team at that age in recent history besides Myers and Doughty. All three of them have played in intense playoff action and should be 100% ready for the season. Chara still has a lot of juice in him, but we have to make it last. After the Olympics, it would definitely benefit him to sit out a game or two, though.

vjcsmoke

Jun 29, 2011
As much as I like Seidenberg I have to agree with your choice of which, if any, D-men to trade but I'd see if anyone was interested in Krug or Bartkowski first. Edmonton is loaded with good prospective D-men so I wonder if they would be interested in Iginla plus Krug for two of them. I'm not 100% sold on Bartkowski and/or Krug.

1. Bruins won't move a free agent that they just signed. It would be first of all a slap in the face to Iginla, and second of all a big discouragement for any free agents to sign with Boston in the future.

2. If you're not sold on Bartkowski/Krug, what makes you think any NHL team would give up any valuable defensemen in return for them?

3. I don't see Krug or Bart on the 1st line. I think that's going to be Chara/Hamilton in the regular season and will switch back to Chara/Seids in the postseason.

4. If I'm moving a defenseman it would be McQuaid. He's the most expendable. He's a stay at home guy with not much more upside to tap. Meanwhile Bartkowski earned a lot of playoff icetime. I think B's management sees him as a starting middle pairing D next year.

5. Krug's potential at PMD is too good to waste. I see him on the 3rd pairing and the powerplay.

Lines
1. Chara/Hamilton
2. Seids/Bartkowski
3. Krug/Boychuk

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I like having 7 NHL caliber defenseman for a change and I think the team is in good shape for now, revisit after Thanksgiving (The American one:))

At not even half a season worth of NHL games between Krug, Bartkowski and three separate seasons, you can put me on the list of non-believers. Gotta figure Bruins fans would know better than to exude that kind of confidence so quickly.

That's not to say that I don't think either/both of them could become staples on an NHL blueline. The opposite, actually. I really like both players. Having guys on our defense who can really skate with or without the puck is something that has been near impossible for our team to find over the years. If these two work out, the entire team will operate far more smoothly - and the potential is definitely there for them to do just that.

But TIME... Give it some TIME. Start making the Letang comparisons only after showing an ability to replicate his numbers. For some reason, everyone has to be so hot and cold in their player assessment.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

That is where I am at as well. You need 7 NHL defensemen, and as we saw in may you may need 9by the time the season is over. Trading one just for the sake of getting to 6 is silly.

In terms of Krug, I get why some people here don't like him. I get the potential negatives, but. It should be very clear to all that Bruins management has been prioritizing a Krug type player since Chiarelli has come aboard. They have spent money and assets acquiring small quick pmd at the college level.

Beyond the young players they have invested a lot of assets chasing the kaberle, corvo, etc of the world.

Krug looks like they have finally found something they have been desperately seeking. They will not be trading him, and will be playing him

slim399

May 1, 2002
Boston
Visit site
I wouldn't mess with it. The kids along with Mcquaid can sub in and out and we can give the top guys a couple days off here and there to rest up for the playoffs. The only thing I would like to see is Kelly traded for more offensive depth to create 3 lines that have scoring ability. I think a Kelly for Hemsky trade would be great for both teams.

Lucic-Krejci-Hemsky
Marchand-Bergeron-Iginla
Soderberg-Spooner-Eriksson
Merlot

MillerTime 86

So Long Tyler SeQuin
May 11, 2007
On a Rock

Fully agree.

Reminds me of those who were so quick to want a trade when we had both Timmy and Tuukka ...

Being in a position of strength at any given position is a good thing for long-term longevity.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I don't move JB. God forbid something happens to Chara or Seids we need him. He played great this playoffs.

I move McQuaid for a 1st rounder if possible.

The trade to think about is trying to get an all star forward for Hamilton. (Someone like Nugent-Hopkins.) Cap wise I don't see how we can get someone good enough and make it fit but that is a move that puts the team over the top.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
This is a thread for believers: Krug and Bartkowski are ready for prime time. I understand and respect others who are not, but, again, this is not a thread for non-believers. All opinions are welcome, nevertheless.

Based on the foregoing, trade a current D for something of equal value and show us the D-pairings and lines:

Trade: Boychuk for Marcus Johansson - Will take about $2.5 million per to sign him (Boychuk is scheduled to make $3.1 million this season). I chose Boychuk because of his age, value, and contract. McQuaid is not a top-4 D and would not get us as much, and I like his toughness.

Kelly for whatever draft picks he generates. Probably get a second at the trade deadline.

Lines

1. Lucic-Krecji-Erikkson (I know this is not conventional wisdom, but I think having toughness and speed on the top two lines is worth whatever compromises this creates)
2. Marchand-Bergeron-Iginla
3. Soderberg-Johannson-Knight/Spooner
4. Paille-Campbell-Thornton
Kelly

1. Chara-Krug (save Chara a lot of chasing/retrieving pucks)
2. Hamilton-Seidenberg
3. McQuaid-Bartkowski
Redden

Third line could be a real offensive threat. Defensive pairings can move the puck. Johannson is a potential top-6 winger when Iggy decides to call it quits (wrong side, I know).

God, I cannot wait for the season to start!

dont like... i might be wrong but all my warning bells are going of here with this defense

if chara or seidenberg go down to injury we have like 1 legitimate top pair guy and then a whole bunch of bottom pair guys with no one to protect them from the heavy lifting.

cant see letting boychuck go unless we get back another proven top 4 guy and those guys cost too much money... until bartowski/hamilton/morrow/krug get battle tested we need to keep our guys

and then seidenberg is up for ufa at the end of this year... what will it cost to bring him back? i cant believe it will be anything reasonable.

hes a winner... a warrior... someone is going to be throwing 5 mill at him and i dont see how it makes any sense that the someone will be us

if we move boychuck this year... lose seidenberg next year... chara gets another 2 years older... its pretty ugly to imagine

i think we keep boychuck... let him be an example for one of the kids... let seidenberg be an exampe to a second kid... chara with a third kid...

leaves mcquaid as the odd man out but mcquaid is more kid then vet himself... with ference he was a pretty decent 5/6 hard nose dman for 15 mins a game but partner him with a kid for an extended period of time and i fear the duo will get lit up bad.

id probably stick hamilton with chara... ultimately hamilton needs to learn to play a big mans game... so who better to learn from?

stick bartowski with seidenberg... both are a bit challange for size but seidenberg doesnt let it slow him down one second. good mentoring experience

and krug then draws boychuck as his partner... krug is challanged the most for size and needs a stay home bigger body to protect him. boychuck protects better than mcquaid

sign someone like redden/whitney/hainsey perhaps? to serve as the 7th dman and have morrow ready for recall if one of the kids falters

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
I don't move JB. God forbid something happens to Chara or Seids we need him. He played great this playoffs.

I move McQuaid for a 1st rounder if possible.

The trade to think about is trying to get an all star forward for Hamilton. (Someone like Nugent-Hopkins.) Cap wise I don't see how we can get someone good enough and make it fit but that is a move that puts the team over the top.

Would you give up a first round pick for a 5-6 defenseman?

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
You keep them all right now, especially since McQuaid has proven he cannot stay healthy for a full season, the uncertainty of which kid will prove himself, Chara and Seids starting to show some signs of aging, etc etc. A d group that's 7 deep will help out a lot. You switch out someone for the extra when there's a slump, nagging injury, poor play, etc etc. In a perfect world, the games played would be something around this:

Chara: 80 games
Seids: 78 games
Boychuk: 75 games
Hamilton: 75 games
McQuaid: 60 games
Krug: 45 games
Bartkowski: 45 games
Vet Dman: 10 games

doc5hole

Nov 30, 2003
www.southcoasttoday.com

Chara--Hamilton
Seids--Boychuk

Seids--Hamilton
Bartowski--Boychuk
Krug--McQuaid

Thanks Colt. I agree that Chara (whom Julien does not skate into the ground every time I check the minutes ... Seids is often higher) needs to get some nights off. The Bruins will rue the day they let him dictate and then he reaches that stage where he's broken down at the end when they need him at his perkiest best. What happened this past playoff isn't necessarily any more indicative of decline than 2009 -- similar deal -- but next playoff he'll be 37. That's not the same mileage as when Lidstrom was 37.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
You keep them all right now, especially since McQuaid has proven he cannot stay healthy for a full season, the uncertainty of which kid will prove himself, Chara and Seids starting to show some signs of aging, etc etc. A d group that's 7 deep will help out a lot. You switch out someone for the extra when there's a slump, nagging injury, poor play, etc etc. In a perfect world, the games played would be something around this:

Chara: 80 games
Seids: 78 games
Boychuk: 75 games
Hamilton: 75 games
McQuaid: 60 games
Krug: 45 games
Bartkowski: 45 games
Vet Dman: 10 games

And this is a really good point.

One can be a "belieber" and not insist that we have an excess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad