For Montreal fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainBenn

Sep 8, 2012
second langage, I only speak 3 but I want to learn spanish so it could be 4 in a few years

Rickkins

Jul 22, 2007
I'm Anglo, but I speak French on a regular basis.

My written French is very poor however.

sventington

Sep 18, 2013
Who here predicted this thread would get out of hand very quickly? ....

:laugh: seems a safe bet.

Anyhow, to answer the OP's follow up question, I am pretty indifferent to the "French first" attitude you speak of, provided it isn't a detriment. I want us to win. I guess with your Bournivals will come your Bouillions. I would be utterly content if we were a 1st place team consisting of only French Canadians, but I would be just as happy if we were split between Americans and Russians.

BRAD HABSFAN

Mar 14, 2013
JERSEY COAST
Interesting topic and insights. I have been a Habsfan since age 10-11 here in New Jersey and go to games in Montreal all the time. [next one coming up vs Boston]. I would love to learn to speak French but struggling with my native English for the past 52 years makes me think butchering 2 languages would probably get me expelled from earth.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
Bilingual. Born in Montreal but now live in this mess called Toronto. Hate that my French is slipping.

Halifaxhab*

Last I heard the official languages in CANADA are both French AND English. So, if a Quebequois (I am a Montrealer by birth who was raised in Northern Ontario, and fluently bilingual) demands I speak french.....well, you can see where I could be going with this

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
I'm fluent in both French and English.

I'm good with reading lots of other languages. Knowing French & English is a good base to be able to read lots of other European languages. Just don't ask me to write, hear or speak it.

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
Well lets see.
100% English, 100%French, 70% Italian, 50% Spanish, 30% Latin due to my early school years in Quebec, 10% Klingon- "HLJOL" :yo:

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine
Anglo-Quebecers are a big part of our history, I don't get the hate because some of them (and not ALL of them) don't speak French.

Only old geezers don't speak French nowadays among Anglo-Québs. The hate is because back then they would make a point of honour not to speak French. Times have changed.

BTW for the OP, I'm fluent in French, English, and Spanish.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
Last I heard the official languages in CANADA are both French AND English. So, if a Quebequois (I am a Montrealer by birth who was raised in Northern Ontario, and fluently bilingual) demands I speak french.....well, you can see where I could be going with this

:handclap: I'd tell that person to kiss my ass. I get the occasional dirty look but nothing too bad.

1UP

Oct 2, 2007
Québec
Who here predicted this thread would get out of hand very quickly? ....

I think 100% did. But frankly, some idiot writes some flame bait, and then a couple people take the bait. No biggie, it's pretty tame, and mods will handle it. There is generally no hate at all amongst normal people, French or English speaking. Especially not amongst Habs fans. Except when DD is discussed :laugh:.

I speak french as my 1st language, since I was born in Chicoutimi, and moved to Québec City at 20. Not big english speaking hotbeds. Learned over time on the internets.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Seriously, learning the language people talk around you should be a must. Am I the only one that thinks its super interesting ? I'm so geek.

ZARTONK

Headscratcher!
Jul 4, 2008
Montreal
I speak/understand three languages, including English and French. I've also taken years of Spanish, but the lack of practice made me lose it, I've started watching cartoons in Spanish to practice.

Last edited:

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
I'm an "unusual" fan. A former Caps fan raised in Maryland and from a Chinese family whose mother immigrated from that ****hole in the 80s. I don't know much French at all. I can understand Shanghainese better than French.

French vowel structure doesn't phase me much though, although it might if I ever learn more advanced French. Who knows...

Sined

The AndroidBugler!
Jun 25, 2007
OT: People should really stop demonizing separatism.

Would it be fair to demonize the separatists who antagonize on people who don't speak perfect French but are trying really hard?

OT: I have several coworkers that I consider friends that are Americans that moved up to THQ Montreal after studios started shutting down. Many of them are trying VERY hard to learn French, many have made great strides and are pretty good given that they only have spent about a year learning (at the same time as a full time job).

But I keep hearing stories of them being mistreated when they've try to speak French (albeit it with certain mistakes), don't express themselves 100% correctly and then are antagonized and told to "leave to go back to their own country" because they didn't speak very well or tried to clarified themselves in English.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad