Status
Not open for further replies.

Warhead77

Jets4Life
Jun 28, 2011
The River City
This........is..........very.......good...... :amazed:

....or not.

Seems like there is still a very hard stalemate to overcome.

What I don't understand is why doesn't the PA present another proposal to the NHL's last offer??? Why are they requesting the NHL to come up with a new one?? Don't they know how negotiating works?

GoSensGo6172

BELIEVE!
Jan 2, 2008
Ottawa
Exactly!! That's what I've kept thinking. Rather than one side come forward with the new proposal which neither side wants to do so they don't look "weak" just come out and make one at the same time and work off BOTH of them until you reach a middle ground between the two. Take the best aspects of each proposal, each side gives up a bit and gets some things they want and in the end both sides are as happy as you possibly can be in this situation.

THAT is how a deal will get done and that's what I see happening over the next week or two.

GoSensGo6172

BELIEVE!
Jan 2, 2008
Ottawa
....or not.

Seems like there is still a very hard stalemate to overcome.

What I don't understand is why doesn't the PA present another proposal to the NHL's last offer??? Why are they requesting the NHL to come up with a new one?? Don't they know how negotiating works?

Each come up with at least a framework of a proposal and work off both sides desires. It's really not that hard to grasp. This is exactly what can come of these meetings.

JAX

Apr 7, 2009
Sault Ste. Marie
Exactly!! That's what I've kept thinking. Rather than one side come forward with the new proposal which neither side wants to do so they don't look "weak" just come out and make one at the same time and work off BOTH of them until you reach a middle ground between the two. Take the best aspects of each proposal, each side gives up a bit and gets some things they want and in the end both sides are as happy as you possibly can be in this situation.

THAT is how a deal will get done and that's what I see happening over the next week or two.

Your more optimistic then I am....At best we will have half a season.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
What I think will happen is they will have quiet unannounced meetings during the next weeks where both sides will present proposals at the same time. And the lockout will end suddenly without much lead up to it. But this is still at least weeks or months away.

MacOfNiagara

Feb 8, 2006
Ithaca
A well thought out and insightful post by a player who really seems to get it. No one really 'wins' these things. Nice to see.

Alzner > Barch

Agreed. Gained a lot of respect for Alzner. A mature and reasonable statement and approach to the negotiations instead of the insulting and asinine comments from some of his fellow players.

MISC*

How dare you! :rant::sarcasm:

Hopefully we get a proposal by one or both sides this weekend so they could still salvage an 82 game schedule even if it is condensed.

NHL should come up to 48 percent. PA will say 55. NHL counters with 50/50.

GoSensGo6172

BELIEVE!
Jan 2, 2008
Ottawa
Tempering expectations is fine, but when you wake up from a nap and are completely surprised to find out the big 4 names are randomly meeting on a Friday afternoon and they're going to set up further meetings and the rumblings of a new proposal or maybe working off two different ones and meeting in the middle that way....

When you hear all that it does indicate one thing. The two sides DO indeed want to get this done. May not always seem that way, but it would be absolutely asinine to think either side actually wants to miss a whole season.

They CAN figure this out, they just need to stick with it and hammer it out.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Just hope they're not still defining HRR.

What might be easier and more productive is if they left HRR as is, but added to it and expanded it to cover any new revenue streams. In exchange, the players accepted a lesser percentage of revenues.

It gives the league and owners incentive to grow revenues. If the league strengthens some of its markets, like Phoenix and Columbus and Florida, then overall league revenues will be higher than the $3.3B recorded this past season, and the players will benefit as a result.

Give a little, gain a little. Both sides win.

Uemoda

Formerly OminousGrey
Jun 28, 2011
Pennsylvania
www.twitter.com
@Real_ESPNLeBrun: Told that NHL strongly urged NHLPA in meeting today to come up with new offer. In turn, NHLPA also asked league to come up with new offer...

@Real_ESPNLeBrun: In short, both sides expressing to each other that it's time to compromise

:nod:

Very cool.

This hasn't been like last time. At least they're talking and not acting like babies when their feelings get hurt.

And anyone who points to the PR talk (mainly from the players) as being childish, go read some quotes from the last lockout. Go ahead, I'll wait.

Reason is at least a factor this time around.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
That was certainly the goal.

Apparently, this CBA is the first business plan ever that hasn't worked out exactly as planned/envisioned and has run into kinks, obstacles and economic circumstances over the course of time since its inception, thus necessitating changes to that plan.

I agree, and Alzner gets credit for admitting it. Which is why my opinion has since the NHL's first proposal is that now that we've had time to see what works and what doesn't the players here need to fight for something that can become permanent. Look at the last CBA as the Beta edition, and this one needs to be the finished product. Minor revisions are acceptable but they can't let themselves be pushed into a position where upon every CBA expiration the league locks them out and holds their jobs hostage unless they give up more.

That's why 50/50 is a good settling point. Reality may be far more complex but the 50/50 mark comes with a strong psychological association of being 'fair'. If the players stay above it the owners are going to feel slighted and will always be trying to knock it down. If the players fall below it the owners well get greedy and say well you were earning 48% before, why not give us 46% this time so you don't lose a year. That's never going to end though, if they got it once then they'll always ask for more. 50/50 on the other hand while it's not a guarantee is their best and only chance for reaching a permanent fixture.

Now the point of negotiation is to make it clear that they're the ones making concessions here, and the league can't expect add additional losses to their freedom of movement as well. 3 year rookie contracts and 7 years till UFA isn't what's causing the league financial problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad