For a Few Dollars More (CBA & Lockout Discussion)- Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
From the Twitterverse
@JSportsnet Bill Daly just confirmed that he was in Toronto to meet withe the NHLPA today.
@reporterchris CBA talks have quietly resumed in Toronto with a meeting of the Big Four: Bettman, Daly, Fehr brothers.
@Real_ESPNLeBrun: NHL and NHLPA met in Toronto today. Slated to meet again over the weekendâ€

Good get the players/owners and their emotions out of it.

TCsmyth

Mar 25, 2011
The NHLPA keeps saying "yea would play the year under the old CBA"-I've noticed no reporter has asked them "would you do it with a signed legal document to the NHL saying you will NOT strike at any time in regular season or playoffs, and if you do it would incur HUGE penalties?"

The response would probably be "well, I don't want to deal in speculation...."

You are probably exactly right on your speculation.

However, the question is beyond ridiculous...the owners don't want to play under 57%...that's why there is a lockout in the first place. Not sure why these players keep getting airtime with this line

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Having a closed door meeting will either be progressive (even if small) or disastrous. I just hope they don't finish this weekend with more insults slung towards one another.

TCsmyth

Mar 25, 2011
“We know we’re going to have to take a hit,†Capitals defenseman Karl Alzner told CSNWashington.com “It’s just how big of a hit we need to take.â€

“I think both sides know what their next proposal is, it’s just who wants to give it first,†Alzner said. “The owners know what their bottom percentage is and I’m sure Don [Fehr] knows what’s going to be a good one for us economically.

“But who’s going to be the first one to bite the bullet? No one wants to lose the negotiation. We understand we’re definitely not going to win it.â€

http://www.csnwashington.com/hockey...ont-win-labor-war?blockID=784509&feedID=10283

If you know this, tell your guy to get back at the table and get the "softest hit" he can get wihtout me losing paychecks :shakehead

wilty00

May 15, 2007
Kelowna/Winnipeg
Forgive me if I'm out of line here, but have the last few reports and pages in this thread not been... OPTIMISTIC?

What is this feeling??

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Forgive me if I'm out of line here, but have the last few reports and pages in this thread not been... OPTIMISTIC?

What is this feeling??

There are rumors of NHLPA making a counter-proposal "soon". Whatever that means.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
From Adrian dater.

Based on my talks with NHL people, this is the kind of offer that would settle the lockout from player side:

Player percentages of 54 (maybe 53) in first year, then sliding down to 50-50 by year three or four. My sources also indicate NHL would not be averse to doing a 10-year deal that keeps it a 50-50 split in years 3-10.

I like this proposal. The percentages seem fair and the 10 year duration makes sure we don't have any more of this strike/lockout crap for a good long while.

I wonder if it would have any traction actually signing the deal.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
There are rumors of NHLPA making a counter-proposal "soon". Whatever that means.

As I've said in the previous thread I'd like to know what "soon" means. Does it mean that something is going to happen early next week? Sometime next month? Maybe in the new year?

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Having a closed door meeting will either be progressive (even if small) or disastrous. I just hope they don't finish this weekend with more insults slung towards one another.

I'm beginning to wonder of both sides are realizing that neither one is going to win the PR war here so they may as well try to get a deal done soon.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
As I've said in the previous thread I'd like to know what "soon" means. Does it mean that something is going to happen early next week? Sometime next month? Maybe in the new year?

As I've said the other threads, "soon" to NHLPA is "sometime in 2013" compared to "next week or so" on planet earth.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
From Adrian dater.

Based on my talks with NHL people, this is the kind of offer that would settle the lockout from player side:

Player percentages of 54 (maybe 53) in first year, then sliding down to 50-50 by year three or four. My sources also indicate NHL would not be averse to doing a 10-year deal that keeps it a 50-50 split in years 3-10.

The percentages don't matter until the NHL puts increased revenue sharing on the table and loosens up relocation so that low revenue franchises can move to better markets (or alternatively agrees to expansion).

GoSensGo6172

BELIEVE!
Jan 2, 2008
Ottawa
Everything we have heard today sounds very positive! A secret unexpected meeting with the big 4 guys is exactly what is needed for the process. Lines of communication are open and more meetings likely coming next week after Canadian Thanksgiving, and possibly a new proposal coming!!

Let's get this done boys, time to get serious.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
The percentages don't matter until the NHL puts increased revenue sharing on the table and loosens up relocation so that low revenue franchises can move to better markets (or alternatively agrees to expansion).

Pay attention please, the latest NHL offer has 190M in RS compared to NHLPA's 250M.

JAX

Apr 7, 2009
Sault Ste. Marie
Coming from another direction.... Fehr has shown that he wants the players involved in the meetings and negotiations, yet once the season was underway, it would be next to impossible to get the players together to talk about things. So was it all just rhetoric from Fehr because he himself was never going to ask the NHL to keep playing while they negotiate, because he knew it would be very difficult to do so? Yet because the NHL locked them out, he can point and say "Bad NHL".

If he is posturing now when the players are missing games we could assume it would be worse once hockey started, it would be excuse after excuse not to negotiate.

JAX

Apr 7, 2009
Sault Ste. Marie

Expansion? Yea that's just what the league needs....

Crows*

@Real_ESPNLeBrun: Told that NHL strongly urged NHLPA in meeting today to come up with new offer. In turn, NHLPA also asked league to come up with new offer...

@Real_ESPNLeBrun: In short, both sides expressing to each other that it's time to compromise

Mar 31, 2005
East Coast
From Adrian dater.

I like it.

Remember 54% was the starting point for the last deal, then sliding the player's way.

This is the same idea sliding the owners way.

Casper

30 goal grinder
Mar 23, 2010
MN
@Real_ESPNLeBrun: Told that NHL strongly urged NHLPA in meeting today to come up with new offer. In turn, NHLPA also asked league to come up with new offer...

@Real_ESPNLeBrun: In short, both sides expressing to each other that it's time to compromise

lol, all of these guys are such asshats. Some one man up and make an offer!!

GoSensGo6172

BELIEVE!
Jan 2, 2008
Ottawa

This........is..........very.......good...... :amazed:

NickyMaz

Dec 19, 2011
Omaha, NE

Neither side wants to make the first move so I say they meet this weekend and they can exchange deals at the same time and hash this out once and for all.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
From Adrian dater.

That's a reasonable deal and a 10 year deal gives the players years of security with a new CBA and it gives the owners some breathing room to believe that in 10 years, revenue will eventually allow a 50/50 to be phased in. Now if this is what it would take for the players to sign a deal, why on earth did they waste so much time putting the same delinked proposal on the table when they could've put this kind of proposal on the table? Of course they wouldn't put a 50/50 split on the table in the first offer, but they could have started out with something like no rollbacks and phase in to to a final 45/55 split and so on where the players negotiate down from 57% and the owners negotiate up from 43%. If this was plan B, then they could have pulled it out sooner and avoid any games being lost.

Edit: Actually, if they were able to strike a deal before Oct. 11, and the arenas weren't booked, could they technically reverse the cancellation and allow the season to start normally?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad