Flyers World Championship thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
any opinions/reviews on Ivan's play for Russia ?
thanks
:cheers:

From what I saw, he was playing very conservative and his foot speed looked slower. I suspect he was a bit worn down after playing all 82 NHL games as a rookie leading the team in ice time. He was also going from the smaller NHL to the larger international ice. I think he is better suited for NHL ice.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
You can do that, Branch Rickey did it for decades. His motto was always trade a player a year early rather than a year late.

That's why Hextall wants so much talent depth, it allows you to move out veterans for draft picks and prospects, plug in a young player who has been kept in the AHL until he's ready, stay well under the salary cap and not miss a beat.

Branch Rickey wasn't working under a salary cap, and that makes all the difference - the same reasons you would want to move them on are the same reasons you couldn't find a trade partner, and you can't deny them big wages when they have performed well for you up to age 26, etc. - it's a utopian idea that wouldn't function in the real world of the salary cap. I agree with you in the broad sense that we want to avoid cap hell and promote youth continually, for sure, but there are situations where it won't be possible and we just have to manage those. We had a choice to sign Jake to this contract or move him on, because he wouldn't have accepted a super team friendly deal - when he signed it, there is no way it was a good move to trade him away - we were stuck, "victims" of his success. That's pretty much exactly the situation I am talking about.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
That contract is looking horrible right now. Giroux and Voracek are two guys we need to find ways to unload soon. WE have a great young nucleus and those two do not fit in with the rebuild.
Grioux has a few good years in him and I think he will score 70pts maybe even 80pts at least once. I agree unloading him within next two years is very important.

As far as leadership BS by others "know it all posters". Giroux hasn't won anything in NHL so it is kind of overrated. Leafs, Edm or Pens back in a day did not need leadership, same goes for Hawks and LA. If you need leadership get it around dead line.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Branch Rickey wasn't working under a salary cap, and that makes all the difference - the same reasons you would want to move them on are the same reasons you couldn't find a trade partner, and you can't deny them big wages when they have performed well for you up to age 26, etc. - it's a utopian idea that wouldn't function in the real world of the salary cap. I agree with you in the broad sense that we want to avoid cap hell and promote youth continually, for sure, but there are situations where it won't be possible and we just have to manage those. We had a choice to sign Jake to this contract or move him on, because he wouldn't have accepted a super team friendly deal - when he signed it, there is no way it was a good move to trade him away - we were stuck, "victims" of his success. That's pretty much exactly the situation I am talking about.

I don't think you can really compare the business dynamics of sports franchises back then to now either. The business aspect has boomed well since then with all the sports leagues. More money & more attention are focused on them making decisions not just on the ice related anymore but off the ice as well factoring in.

If you're trading Giroux & Voracek there's no point of doing a half ass rebuild again. You might as well trade Simmonds & Schenn too as you're not going to get much value overall on their current contracts & they're just going be older/overpaid players not long after anyway. At least the fans would understand don't bother with the team for years. So there's more leeway there than currently.

It's been five years now of an unwatchable product as the team has been middling. Even if Hextall wanted to (which I doubt he even wants to) the guy isn't getting clearance from ownership to take steps back. They've made the playoffs twice in the last five years with never advancing past the first round. So they're not making much playoff revenue where money is made which is going to start getting ownership restless soon.

Last edited:

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Grioux has a few good years in him and I think he will score 70pts maybe even 80pts at least once. I agree unloading him within next two years is very important.

As far as leadership BS by others "know it all posters". Giroux hasn't won anything in NHL so it is kind of overrated. Leafs, Edm or Pens back in a day did not need leadership, same goes for Hawks and LA. If you need leadership get it around dead line.

Lol I remember there being this piece about team heart few years ago. It was a pure comedy.
Edit here it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad