Friedman: Flyers working with Seattle to move a High Salary Player (Potentially Voracek)

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Voracek and the Philly 1st to me makes sense.

Seattle is going to be a bad team, and with Voracek moving, they could likely keep the chain going with retention.

For example:
Philly trades a 1st to Seattle for a 7th for them to select Jakub Voracek.
Seattle trades Jakub Voracek @50% to Edmonton for 2021 1st rounder, 2022 second rounder and Kailer Yamamoto

Not sure about the Edmonton thing, but they could definitely flip him for other stuff especially if they retain and if they get Philadelphia to retain $500k. Seattle retains $2m and trade him at a more reasonable $5.75m or less if Seattle retains more.

They could keep him too, and trade him next summer when he has 2 years left on his deal.

Lots of good options.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Flyers maybe going hard for Hamilton? That’s about the amount of salary they would roughly need to get Dougie at 6/7 years.
Rumor mill is Seth Jones. Flyers need a rhd man badly. Hamilton, Jones or even trade for Ryan Ellis would add legit salary tags.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
If the flyers cant get Seth Jones, I can see them being very interested in Ryan Ellis. Maybe a deal around Nolan Patrick or something

Reactions: TheKingPin

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Why should Edmonton fleese themselfs with a 1st , young top6 player AND a second for a almost elite player

A first in a 'who knows' draft.
A 'young top 6 player' with 21 points this year while being stapled to Leon Draisaitl.
A second.

For a guy who's been a consistent 60-80 point player in the NHL since 2013.

'tis why Oilers should be doomed to toil. That's a no brainer trade for me.

Reactions: Skizwald

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
A 'young top 6 player' with 21 points this year while being stapled to Leon Draisaitl.
A second.

^^it's not that simple because the Oilers aren't very good at trades as we saw when Chia was here and as we saw last season with the Athanasiou trade. they're likely to get Voracek and he'll turn into Kyle Okposo 2.0 or something !! :facepalm:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
^^it's not that simple because the Oilers aren't very good at trades as we saw when Chia was here and as we saw last season with the Athanasiou trade. they're likely to get Voracek and he'll turn into Kyle Okposo 2.0 or something !! :facepalm:

I really don't see the bad side of having Voracek on your roster at like 4.1 million for three seasons; that'd be just about the best value in the league :laugh:

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I would think they could include Voracek (with a small retention) in a deal for Jones (Columbus can retain to offset next year, leaving only two year differential) and then Columbus could flip Voracek (with retention) for additional assets as another way to continue to rebuild.

pooch

May 30, 2017
it would be so stupid.

If Seattle wants to take Hagg, Braun or NAK-3rd pairing men and a 4th liner....instead of guys producing as 1st liners/2nd liners at worst....go ahead.
Honestly, I don’t even mind if they select Jake, Ghost or JVR, but I don’t want to pay them to do it. That’s dumb.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site

Seattle is going to be a bad team, and with Voracek moving, they could likely keep the chain going with retention.

For example:
Seattle trades Jakub Voracek @50% to Edmonton for 2021 1st rounder, 2022 second rounder and Kailer Yamamoto
Are you sure you don’t want to throw Mcdavid in there?

Reactions: Rich Nixon

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Honestly, I don’t even mind if they select Jake, Ghost or JVR, but I don’t want to pay them to do it. That’s dumb.
Agreed.

It's one thing to expose cap, and if they take one of them, oh well...you have the cap.

But it's another to ADD a sweetener to lose that cap...and much better players, than guys who are easily replaced.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Obviously trying to clear cap space to give Johnny Gaudreau that big $$ extension he'll want at the end of his contract next summer.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Are you sure you don’t want to throw Mcdavid in there?

Yeah, 60-80 point players that make 4 million sure are only worth a 5th round pick... and not a first in a bad draft, a mediocre undersized winger and a second :laugh:

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Seattle should do it for a significant bribe from Philly, and then (provided he doesnt have a terrible season or something) eat another 3ish million of cap at the deadline to flip him for another return.

That's plenty of salary to swallow the next couple of years, but a productive Voracek at around 5.5M in a flat cap world would probably get a boatload from contenders. And assuming Seattle doesnt turn into the next VGK overnight, the two years of dead cap wont hurt them too much.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Flyers "may". So basically utter bullshit.

Shocker.

all teams are kicking the tires.

it’s a flat cap the next few years so teams are looking ahead at what the team will look like in 2023 or 2024. In 2924 you have Aho and Mathews are UFAs.

they can only do about 8-10 of these high salary players vs the 20 or so teams offering them high salaried players.

from taking these players they get picks and prospects for future.

about 4-6 players they pick just yo flip.

it’s possible in one of these flip trades they coukd do something like.

Seattle picks some young cheap exposed player A from tampa
Seattle picks B fromanother team
Then Seattle trades A and B to tampa for Johmson, 1st, 2nd, 3rd in different drafts and 2-3young prospects.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
A second.

Of course it’s a no brainer for you. You clear 4 plus million of cap space while acquiring a 22 old quality winger, a first and a second when all you had to give up is a guy now in his 30’s you’re team has been rumored to be moving. His history is great but no one is assuming he’s going to be doing that for much longer. The Oilers may get 50 pts out of just keeping Yamamoto if he plays with the right guys in the right situations. That’s an awful offer.

When you’re trading away the not super star older guy with the cap hit you’re not the one who ends up with the young players and high picks. Even retained that’s a crazy return.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
all teams are kicking the tires.

it’s a flat cap the next few years so teams are looking ahead at what the team will look like in 2023 or 2024. In 2924 you have Aho and Mathews are UFAs.

they can only do about 8-10 of these high salary players vs the 20 or so teams offering them high salaried players.

from taking these players they get picks and prospects for future.

about 4-6 players they pick just yo flip.

it’s possible in one of these flip trades they coukd do something like.

Seattle picks some young cheap exposed player A from tampa
Seattle picks B fromanother team
Then Seattle trades A and B to tampa for Johmson, 1st, 2nd, 3rd in different drafts and 2-3young prospects.
Or Seattle could hold on to its surplus cap space (I don't even think they have to reach the floor by the conclusion of the expansion draft) and only trade it when teams are serious about paying a decent price for it.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Or Seattle could hold on to its surplus cap space and only trade it when teams are serious about paying a decent price for it.

you forget…

Seattle needs to do…

( 1) create a 23 player nhl roster cap compliant.
2. Thry need to plan in fielding a full AHL team in 22/23

how do you field an AHL next year and going forward…

5 players in final year of ELC in 22/23
5 players in 2nd year of EL.C in 22/23
5 players who start ELC in 22/23
5 players they draft in 21 that project to start in 23/24 season.

they can get other AHL players at 22 season trade deadline and 23 trade season deadline

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
you forget…

Seattle needs to do…

( 1) create a 23 player nhl roster cap compliant.
2. Thry need to plan in fielding a full AHL team in 22/23

how do you field an AHL next year and going forward…

5 players in final year of ELC in 22/23
5 players in 2nd year of EL.C in 22/23
5 players who start ELC in 22/23
5 players they draft in 21 that project to start in 23/24 season.

they can get other AHL players at 22 season trade deadline and 23 trade season deadline
You don't have to spend anywhere near the cap to do any of this so there will still be lots of surplus to trade away for a pile of picks and prospects.

23 players at the NHL minimum is, at the very least, something like $19 million so there's still lots of room to move to reach 60% of the cap. If teams want Seattle to claim more expensive players off their roster they can negotiate a trade where even more picks go Seattle's way.

After the expansion draft, if teams aren't willing to pay a fair price for cap space, Seattle can sign free agents and make waiver claims in order to reach their cap floor.

As for the AHL team, lots of organizations, for example, sign up to 11-12 players on AHL contracts to fill out their development team roster. It's a great way to keep their overall contract count well under 50 and it's also a great way to audition young players who need a chance to earn an NHL contract.

Again, I have no idea why so many people are desperate to give away Seattle surplus cap space for virtually nothing in return.

Reactions: brewski420

Picklepete

Jun 5, 2002
Tampa
Visit site

For example:

LOL !!
A 1st, 2nd, & Kailer.. No

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad