Friedman: Flyers working with Seattle to move a High Salary Player (Potentially Voracek)

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Flyers fans, help us out. What would be the reason for this? They have plenty of cap space and not a ton of guys to sign. They could give Couts a $10m raise and be fine. I don't get it.
They have 68m in cap for 21-22.
They need to sign Hart, Sanheim, legit 1b goalie so that is 78mish?

To fix the defense 4-6 m is not enough. Bringing back same team and signing say Adam Larsson on D is not going to change this roster. Ergo JVR or Voracek probably need to go to add an expensive D player (whether Hamilton asap or trade for Jones and sign expensive 1 year from now)

Also note in 22 Couturier, Giroux will be ufa's and it is safe to expect Farabee will get a legit raise as well.

Reactions: burstnbloom

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Flyers fans, help us out. What would be the reason for this? They have plenty of cap space and not a ton of guys to sign. They could give Couts a $10m raise and be fine. I don't get it.
I really don’t know. I assume it’s due to resigning some RFAs and need long term cap flexibility. Gross asset management if you ask me. It’s funny that they view Voraceks production and contract as a problem, but not Hayes. That’s the flyers management we have now I guess.

I would assume Voracek got into AVs doghouse and AV wants a better player - or someone who they think is better. My personal opinion is that AV has the reigns on player decisions. Fletcher is just the face. Brent Flahr is the best talent evaluator in the org right now, but I don’t think he gets a say at all. AV is one of the worst and I think he’ll get what he wants. Ghost called out the team for a lack of identity and was waived not too long after if I’m correct. Voracek has said the team is not clicking and that they’ve been together for a while - that’s a roundabout way of saying it’s the coach. According SanFallipo (idk what his name is, but he’s a part of flyers media) Patrick doesn’t like the way AV handles the players.
Better stay on his good side I guess. That’s why the media doesn’t dare say anything bad about AV.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
I really don’t know. I assume it’s due to resigning some RFAs and need long term cap flexibility. Gross asset management if you ask me. It’s funny that they view Voraceks production and contract as a problem, but not Hayes. That’s the flyers management we have now I guess.

I would assume Voracek got into AVs doghouse and AV wants a better player - or someone who they think is better. My personal opinion is that AV has the reigns on player decisions. Fletcher is just the face. Brent Flahr is the best talent evaluator in the org right now, but I don’t think he gets a say at all. AV is one of the worst and I think he’ll get what he wants. Ghost called out the team for a lack of identity and was waived not too long after if I’m correct. Voracek has said the team is not clicking and that they’ve been together for a while - that’s a roundabout way of saying it’s the coach. According SanFallipo (idk what his name is, but he’s a part of flyers media) Patrick doesn’t like the way AV handles the players.
Better stay on his good side I guess. That’s why the media doesn’t dare say anything bad about AV.

Well no one confirmed this report (if it's true) is talking about Voracek specifically. That's just the name Friedman plucked out of the air. The candidates likely are Hayes, Voracek, JVR, Ghost, etc. to move out eventually

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
$8.2Million per season for the next three seasons? That's a commitment of 10% of Seattle's cap for the next three years.

Throw your bid on the pile Flyers.

Seattle will have their pick of a ton of decent cheap players. They need solid vets like Voracek also. It's not like he can't play anymore. He's not worth 8.2M at the moment, but that doesn't mean Seattle isn't willing to take him on for the ~50 points + leadership qualities.

I'm sure Seattle will act like they don't want him, all the while happy to get a good player + assets at the same time.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
With the Flyers being rumored to be in on Seth Jones and Hamilton, I could see them wanting to free up cap for a big move.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Seattle will have their pick of a ton of decent cheap players. They need solid vets like Voracek also. It's not like he can't play anymore. He's not worth 8.2M at the moment, but that doesn't mean Seattle isn't willing to take him on for the ~50 points + leadership qualities.

I'm sure Seattle will act like they don't want him, all the while happy to get a good player + assets at the same time.
A lot of this is accurate. However, there are are 30 teams we will be picking from and Seattle will have a lot of choices on where to get such players from. When picking expensive (but useful) players the additions are most definitely going to play a part on who they decide to take on the expensive contracts from.

Reactions: RainyCityHockey

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
No way the Flyers give up assets to move Voracek. JVR on the other hand I could see them giving up a little if they can bring in a 1D or a forward on a higher contract.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
No way the Flyers give up assets to move Voracek. JVR on the other hand I could see them giving up a little if they can bring in a 1D or a forward on a higher contract.

JVR has the cheaper, shorter contract and they both scored 43 points this season.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Hmm 14 overall in this draft seems like not enough to take on Voraceck to be honest. I think Seattle should get a prospect on top, or maybe an unprotected future 1st. They are gonna have a lot of opportunities like this, and 8.25m x 3 is not trivial.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I'm expecting Tyler Johnson to end up in Seattle too. But if Philadelphia (and Tampa) do trades like this, they're going to expect to trade a similar package to Seattle that got Clarkson in Vegas.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Well no one confirmed this report (if it's true) is talking about Voracek specifically. That's just the name Friedman plucked out of the air. The candidates likely are Hayes, Voracek, JVR, Ghost, etc. to move out eventually
I got that, just sharing my opinion if they are talking about Voracek.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary

Lots of cheaper guys out there who can provide whatever leadership Seattle needs. They don't have to tie up that much cap space in order to get it.

If the Flyers want to get rid of Voracek's contract they should have to bid on it like everybody else.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Voracek and the Philly 1st to me makes sense.

Seattle is going to be a bad team, and with Voracek moving, they could likely keep the chain going with retention.

For example:
Philly trades a 1st to Seattle for a 7th for them to select Jakub Voracek.
Seattle trades Jakub Voracek @50% to Edmonton for 2021 1st rounder, 2022 second rounder and Kailer Yamamoto

Why should Edmonton fleese themselfs with a 1st , young top6 player AND a second for a almost elite player

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad