Friedman: Flyers working with Seattle to move a High Salary Player (Potentially Voracek)

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Alzner would also do great in Edmonton.. shut down the other teams top players while McDavid does his magic I bet.

oh wait, he was bought out and JVR is close to being a candidate
:laugh:

What a shit take!

Player A: 56 games, 17 goals, 43 pts
Player B: 56 games, 16 goals, 43 pts

One is JVR, the other Matthew Tkachuk.
giphy.gif

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
You sir are about to have 5 people reply to you screaming "BUT IT'S A FLAT CAP ENVIRONMENT THIS TIME! ALMIGHTY CAP SPACE IS WORTH ITS WEIGHT IN RUBIES NOW!"

The space is important - but not as important as many fans believe this year. Open cap space has officially jumped the shark this offseason.
Oh, it's valuable for sure, but giving up assets to take top six serviceable players is the kind of stupidity that got some GM's in the mess they are in to begin with. I keep laughing about people here thinking that a Voracek trade or selection in the expansion draft needs a sweetener when we've got Andrew "all I ever do is fish" Ladd on our friggin' roster. That is the kind of contract that needs a sweetener, not Voracek.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Oh, it's valuable for sure, but giving up assets to take top six serviceable players is the kind of stupidity that got some GM's in the mess they are in to begin with. I keep laughing about people here thinking that a Voracek trade or selection in the expansion draft needs a sweetener when we've got Andrew "all I ever do is fish" Ladd on our friggin' roster. That is the kind of contract that needs a sweetener, not Voracek.

This guy gets it

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
I have no problem if the Flyers give up a 2nd in order for the Kracken to take Voracek off our hands. Voracek and Giroux should not be on the Flyers next year, it's time for Fletcher to figure out the Flyers core and I don't see either one of these guys as part of that core going forward.
I would on everything about Jake. I love the dude, but he has been here for a decade in which the team has won nothing and he has come up small in the playoffs when they did make it. Add that to his salary, age, and the fact that this team needs to go in a different direction and it's just time.

As far as Giroux goes, I would keep him in Philly as long as he wants to be.

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
If it were that easy, the Flyers would just do it and not risk losing either for nothing.

If you have to retain or take cap back to get a 2nd or 3rd round pick, what is the actual net positive of flipping either?

I would expect JVR to return a 2nd or 3rd without retention and Voracek at least a 1st.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
I would expect JVR to return a 2nd or 3rd without retention and Voracek at least a 1st.
In a vacuum, I won't disagree with your value assessment, but there are probably no contenders that could use the players that can just take on those contracts without retention or some cap going the other way.

Which muddles the actual cost of moving them, as well as the value they return.

Reactions: brewski420

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
In a vacuum, I won't disagree with your value assessment, but there are probably no contenders that could use the players that can just take on those contracts without retention or some cap going the other way.

Which muddles the actual cost of moving them, as well as the value they return.

Not as much when you think the flyers can take as much back as five million in salary. I'd expect a 1st plus for either depending on the player.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Not as much when you think the flyers can take as much back as five million in salary. I'd expect a 1st plus for either depending on the player.
If the salary coming back is attached to a valuable piece, you won't get the picks, but maybe you could address holes in the roster.

If the salary coming back is overpriced players, you would get your picks, but I am not sure how that would help you compete, which is the reason you make the moves in the first place. If that is the case, you might as well just hold on to your own guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad