Friedman: Flyers willing to discuss almost anyone but Joel Farabee

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
You think Sanheim is bringing you a player who has 104 points in his last 118 games and is a +29 while Sanheim is -18 in the same span.

You think using +/- is indicative performance, let alone indicative of performance on a team where no one was a positive?

Woof.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
I think part of his problem is he's paired with another young guy in Myers. He would benefit from being paired with a vet.
I couldn't agree more. They should be looking to add not one but TWO top four D this offseason. I think trading for Jones or Ellis to play with Provorov is something they need to do, and also signing a veteran in free agency to play alongside Sanheim. It can even be a stop gap, older guy like a Goligoski.

Last edited:

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Just to summarize a few things from earlier in this thread.

From a value perspective I see no reason why the Jets would trade Ehlers for Sanheim. Ehlers looks like a superstar in the making who is still getting better and just entering his prime at 25. From the Flyers perspective though, it doesn't make sense. They are already too deep at wing and need help on D and at C.

Did someone really suggest something around Logan Stanley for Sanheim or was I seeing things.

Provorov isn't ''available'' as in make crappy offers because they are hell bent on dealing him. I doubt they would trade him at all, but the only way they would even consider it is if it were Provorov plus for a clear upgrade on defense.

If anyone is looking to deal with the Flyers, they need help on defense and at C. They have no need for picks, prospects, or wingers.

Carry on.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Fine, ignore that and make your case how that’s an equal trade

You've already made yp your mind against Sanheim, so ill spare myself the effort of showing how good he actually is. Feel free to look it up, though. In terms if 5v5 offense generation, he's one of the better ones in the league.

Edit: to clarify, no I don't think Ehlers for Sanheim 1:1 is a fair trade, and never said as much.

ArchAngel55

Nov 16, 2008
Philadelphia, Pa
I couldn't agree more. They should be looking to add not one but TWO top four D this offseason. I think trading for Jones or Ellis to play with Provorov is something they need to do, and also signing a veteran in free agency to play alongside Sanheim. It can even be a stop gap, older guy like a Goligoski.

They aren't in a bad spot. Defense just needs to be tweaked. They are young and have value if they were to move things. They don't have overpriced or negative parts back there. Take what you want with the term overpriced and Ghost.

Reactions: BrindamoursNose

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Goligoski will be 36 by the time the 21-22 season starts and mainly plays LD but can play RD even though he is a left shot. Sanheim is a LD/RD type as well but is better on LD.

I’d pass on Goligoski as the wheels have more then 900 games on them.
If the Flyers are adding from FA, I’d rather it be a right shot RD, someone like Savard, Bogosian or even Hakanpaa to play alongside Sanheim.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Goligoski will be 36 by the time the 21-22 season starts and mainly plays LD but can play RD even though he is a left shot. Sanheim is a LD/RD type as well but is better on LD.

I’d pass on Goligoski as the wheels have more then 900 games on them.
If the Flyers are adding from FA, I’d rather it be a right shot RD, someone like Savard, Bogosian or even Hakanpaa to play alongside Sanheim.
But that's not going to happen.

Braun and Myets will be the bottom 2 RHD.

Anyone we sign or trade for will be paired with Provy....at least to start the season. Myers play early next year could change that, but to start, the mystery box will be beside Provy. Fletch didn't bitch all year about not finding a Nisky replacement, only to stick Myers or Braun there again.

I still maintain I could see Sanheim moved though.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
But that's not going to happen.

Braun and Myets will be the bottom 2 RHD.

Anyone we sign or trade for will be paired with Provy....at least to start the season. Myers play early next year could change that, but to start, the mystery box will be beside Provy. Fletch didn't bitch all year about not finding a Nisky replacement, only to stick Myers or Braun there again.

I still maintain I could see Sanheim moved though.
Assuming they trade for or sign a top pairing defenseman that person is going to play with Provorov which means the top pairing is set.

Right now that leaves a few options for the second pair. Sanheim, Myers, Ghost, York, and Braun. Braun had a better second season with the Flyers but he is a third pairing guy. I'm pretty confident they have learned from their mistake of expecting too much too early from young guys so easing York in on the third pair with a solid vet like Braun makes a lot of sense.

So now you are left with Sanheim, Myers, and Ghost. I don't see them going back to the all young second pairing of Sanheim and Myers after the way they both regressed this past season. Ghost is a tough to figure out. Personal feelings aside, he played much better after being waived. That said, Fletcher and AV have never appeared to be too high on him and I doubt a brief stretch of better player after being waived and regressing in recent seasons is going to change their mind. I could be wrong but if I am correct he is a prime candidate to be taken by Seattle, with the Flyers potentially giving them some incentive to do so.

That means a second pairing of Sanheim and Myers again. I just don't see it, and add into the fact that if they are to trade for a top pairing guy chances are the other team is going to want one of them to be included in a package deal. I think a solid vet to make things easier on the young guy is something they would be interested in. It would also fall in line with what Fletcher did two years ago with Niskanen and Sanheim. Could be a trade out of left field where they give up a pick or two, or maybe they look to sign someone Goligoski or Martinez. Before someone else tells me how they old they are, I'm fully aware but both are coming off of really good seasons. Fletcher seems to understand something that very few in the echo chamber do, you can't expect to be a good NHL playoff team without the right mix of solid veterans and young talent.

All of this of course, is just my very humble opinion.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
He's one of those assets I don't think it's going anywhere until we get back an Eichel-like player, or even Seth Jones in a 1-for-1 swap

Mind you: I don't want to move Provy, and I definitely don't want to swap him for Seth Jones, but that's the range you should be thinking about if speculating about a trade.

sabres should make the trade and run Dahlin, Provorov, Jokiharju, and Powers as their top 4 for the next 10 years

kyuss

Wings make our ding-dings sing.
May 28, 2012
As a Rangers fan, trust me you don’t want him. Never seen a defenseman play worse than Sanheim in either of the blowout games. Was on ice and pretty much directly responsible for 7 goals in the first 9-0 win. Dude has the tools but is clueless, similar to Hanifin in that sense
Ah, the old scouts adage: “what shall happen in blowouts, shall happen eternally.”

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Fletch spoke openly all season how they never replaced Niskanen on the top pair and has said he needs to add a RHD. I don't see a likely scenario where they would move Myers given that they would then have to go find 2 RHD. As you can see, we have lots of lefties.

RHD: Myers, Braun
LHD: Provy, Sanheim, Ghost, Hagg, York, Zamula
That’s tough, Canucks have the same problem.

Actually, Canucks just need some more decent defensemen period :confused:

Reactions: Tripod

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Farabee seems like a kind of odd place to draw the line, on your "completely untouchable" players. But to each their own, i guess.

I honestly can't see how Philly could even conceivably "win" a Provorov deal. They'd pretty much either be getting older, or worse...in anything that would be remotely feasible (ie, other top young defencemen like Makar, Heiskanen, et al off the table). Like...who is going to offer something "better" than a 24 year old #1D on a reasonable contract? It just doesn't seem possible to make that deal, and come out ahead.

But i mean, sure...draw the line at Farabee instead i guess. Allegedly. :dunno:

If Provorov is somehow actually some degree of "available", i'd be hoping the Canucks are out there throwing everything, including the kitchen sink at it. Though i don't even know what that would actually look like.

Reactions: BrindamoursNose

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Farabee seems like a kind of odd place to draw the line, on your "completely untouchable" players. But to each their own, i guess.

I honestly can't see how Philly could even conceivably "win" a Provorov deal. They'd pretty much either be getting older, or worse...in anything that would be remotely feasible (ie, other top young defencemen like Makar, Heiskanen, et al off the table). Like...who is going to offer something "better" than a 24 year old #1D on a reasonable contract? It just doesn't seem possible to make that deal, and come out ahead.

But i mean, sure...draw the line at Farabee instead i guess. Allegedly. :dunno:

If Provorov is somehow actually some degree of "available", i'd be hoping the Canucks are out there throwing everything, including the kitchen sink at it. Though i don't even know what that would actually look like.
The analytics group of Flyers fans on our board, will tell you that Provy is overrated and that Sanheim has actually been the better Dman. And Ghost has been most years as well including this one. They also want the Flyers to stay VERY clear of Jones too.

So it all depends who you talk to. To them, dumping Provy on someone like you might be ideal if the return was right.

Last edited:

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Yikes.

You guys swapped Laine and Roz for Dubois and it backfired from a production standpoint. Are you sure you want to trade your best goal scorer AGAIN for a feisty winger who can chip in some offense?

Agreed. It would be nice to add Konecny, but he's not worth Connor.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
You've already made yp your mind against Sanheim, so ill spare myself the effort of showing how good he actually is. Feel free to look it up, though. In terms if 5v5 offense generation, he's one of the better ones in the league.

Edit: to clarify, no I don't think Ehlers for Sanheim 1:1 is a fair trade, and never said as much.

Next time check the post I was referring to

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
TK, Myers, Frost and a pick for Eichel

Bank on it...and no, Buffalo isn't going to realistically get more/much more than that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad