GDT: Flyers vs. Devils - 7:00 PM - MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If we’re worried about the out of town scores already, the Islanders are in the desert the next two games Colorado on Tuesday. Colorado still have about 6 or 7 AHL players in their lineup, but they did get Rodrigues back tonight and Nichuskin came back a few games ago. They probably beat Arizona, but maybe Vegas beats them.

The Rangers have a back to back with Philly and Chicago, both on the road. They could potentially sweep the weekend, but you know they’re gonna give Halak one of those games and he’s pretty much the reason they lost to Anaheim and Chicago and Philly is no slam dunk for a loss, as we saw tonight and too many other times this season.

Let’s knock off Florida and that really sticks them further in a hole.

Reactions: Louskoolaid89

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Yeah, we literally had no bottom 6 for the first half of that year.

I don't know how many games it was that we played BOTH Boulton and Janssen in the same game, but there were quite a bit. And I don't think both were a healthy scratch in the same game until the regular season finale.

We had no bottom 6. Tedenby played the first half of that season and scored one goal and it was off his skate. Pretty sure he had under 10 points before he was finally demoted to the minors when Ponikarovsky was acquired.

A couple old players really overachieved that year and the two names particularly were Johan Hedberg in goal and Petr Sykora having a comeback year after not playing in the NHL at all the year before and only 14 games the year before that and being 35 years old. That was also the last good season of Dainius Zubrus, who probably had his best season as a Devil that year. And you can't talk about that season and career years without bringing up David Clarkson, who by far had the best year of his career and got one of the worst contracts ever in the cap era not even an entire full season of hockey after that year.

The defense on paper was kind of uhhh meh? And it was one of the worst offense producing defenses we've ever had, at least until Zidlicky. I remember Zidlicky publicly asked to be traded here cause he wanted to play with Elias and Sykora and they were already friends and countrymates.

But yeah, like I said, the playoffs were not a gimme, nor anywhere close to guaranteed for a lot of that season. We were only just coming off our first playoff miss in 15 years the year before that. We had the Parise being a pending UFA thing hanging over our heads. A long playoff run was so unexpected and unimaginable at that time that many people wanted to trade Parise.

One other thing that was getting uncomfortable at the end of that year was Buffalo made a strong second half push. That was Ruff's last full year there. Buffalo came close to beating out Washington for the final playoff spot that year. They even beat Washington I think in DC late in the year. Ryan Miller was horrific in the first half of that year (that's when Lucic drilled him) and then turned it on in the second half of that year. I think they had a similar type of run to what we did under Lemaire the year before, only it wasn't quite as good, nor were they in quite the hole we were in to begin with.
Looks like 21 games with both Jansen and Boulton.

2011-12 was a defense first team with a couple of nice offensive stars. It was completely devoid of offense from the blue line before we got Zidlicky and then he was the offense from the blue line. You can’t have a good offense with that.

0F238E14-EC36-4B4F-943B-30D81D9249F1.png

For those less interested in stats, that is bad.

5362A94D-D002-458B-BDAA-5485DA7355E8.png

That’s impressive.

7D2172B3-C98C-4EDA-80CB-5EA0F01E3308.png

Yep.

F6E4DA8D-3770-49EF-8F04-E4765AE245C7.png

Sal’s PK was statistically the best in the league that year, it was nuts.

A32111AF-B093-4637-B25E-4B2C3141A055.png

32CDBBE4-8B1D-4AEE-8680-FADFC2AEDF51.png

That is when you have some pop.

1A8B4B3F-1188-464B-949F-23911D728C70.png

More Marty’s fault, ironically because Hedberg just about single-handedly tanks our next season but you can only ask so much from a 39 year old journeyman goalie.

This losing streak sucks and I’m unhappy about but they happen (unfortunately).

We piled up points at a cartoonish rate and goal should always be make the playoffs.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ll even be disappointed if we don’t hang tough at the top of the Metro top 3 but people seemed to have switched awful quickly to demanding nothing less than utter domination of opponents in every game. “This isn’t the team from November.” The one that won every game? No, that wasn’t going to last.

People seemed to think the NHL factoids attached to the winning streak had more meaning than they did.

Despite this f***ing loss we’re still tied with Boston with the most regulation wins and have the second best GD. Sometimes the goals don’t come.

Stupid annoying shit losses were coming, but hey, we did hurt the Flyers chance at Bedard by giving them a regulation win, enjoy mediocrity f*** faces.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
11-12 was seriously one of Hedberg’s best years in the NHL. His 09-10 with Atlanta was definitely better, because he played 47 games that year, while just 27 in 11-12.

He also collected shutouts at a pretty crazy pace that year with 4. The only year he had more shutouts was when he had 6 playing in 66 games for Pittsburgh in 01-02.

That was technically still a rookie season for him, but he was more of a Makarov (28 years old) rookie than your typical rookie.

I think he might be third all time in Devils shutouts behind Brodeur and Schneider.

Actually….. he’s tied for third all time with none other than……wait for it……. Mackenzie Blackwood.

Reactions: Guttersniped

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
It’s not just that , it’s about snapping a losig streak against a shit team before a stretch of games against top compitition. They team should have been dialed in and found a way to win .

Getting 40+ shots on a goalie isn't enough? They can't just magically score by wishing it. They played a fine game.

If we’re worried about the out of town scores already, the Islanders are in the desert the next two games Colorado on Tuesday. Colorado still have about 6 or 7 AHL players in their lineup, but they did get Rodrigues back tonight and Nichuskin came back a few games ago. They probably beat Arizona, but maybe Vegas beats them.

The Rangers have a back to back with Philly and Chicago, both on the road. They could potentially sweep the weekend, but you know they’re gonna give Halak one of those games and he’s pretty much the reason they lost to Anaheim and Chicago and Philly is no slam dunk for a loss, as we saw tonight and too many other times this season.

Rangers show up whoever they play so theoretically they could lose either of those games and the Islanders don't scare me either. Both of them have lost to dog shit teams but apparently when we do it, we're a horrible team but we pump our rivals tires up all the time on this board. Really weird mentality from some Devils fans. Not @ing you here, Bleed lol. Was just trying to reply to your original thought.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

The Rangers and Islanders started the season with similarly very soft schedules to us and NHL Strength of Schedule lists now have them up top with us. The same with Florida, Detroit and Montreal.

So those teams will need to beat a number of good teams to go off on big winning streaks. The Rangers already failed to take advantage of the easy part of their schedule (they lost to Anaheim, Columbus, Chicago and Nashville in regulation just to point out a few missteps). The Isles won more games but not like us.

The Metro team that just finished with a very tough stretch, and now is entering one of the softer remaining SofS, is the Caps. The bad news with them is they came into tonight with a 5 game winning streak. The good news is they lost to Dallas 1-2 in regulation.

Eastern SoS [Power Ranking Guru & Tankathon, listed both if they differ.] Higher is tougher and therefore worse.

Montreal [1]
NYR [2 & 4]
Detroit [3 & 7]
New Jersey [4 & 3]
Florida [5 & 2]
NYI [6]
Columbus [7 & 11]
Ottawa [8 & 5]
Buffalo [9 & 10]
Carolina [12 & 8]
Philly [13 & 12]
Pittsburgh [14]
Boston [16]
Tampa [17 & 9]
Toronto [21]
Washington [22 & 18]

Small differences in SOS don’t really matter but it helps to be on the bottom.

So if the the Caps get healthy their schedule can help them, they’re already playing better. And I’m going to make a wild guess and say the top 3 of the Atlantic will run away with that division lol. A lot of those teams up top the SoS are the Wild Card teams though, which hurts their chances for crazy playoff runs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bleedred

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
Gotta love the severson dope head play in the last fraction of the third period

f***ing moron

I can’t say I will be sad when he goes

Severson is that guy that thinks it’s ok because there’s 50 some odd games left as opposed to being upset that he contributed to extending the losing streak

Last edited:

Sgt Brylin

Trade is one for one
Dec 28, 2012
"We got goalied"
"Refs blown call cost us momentum"
"Sevo turnover cost us the game"
"Sorry Lindy"

If the playoffs started today, we'd get swept. The total lack of D and secondary scoring is costing us, not playing a full game is costing us, the rest of the league figuring us out is costing us. We're literally relying on Jack Magic for wins now.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
"We got goalied"
"Refs blown call cost us momentum"
"Sevo turnover cost us the game"
"Sorry Lindy"

If the playoffs started today, we'd get swept. The total lack of D and secondary scoring is costing us, not playing a full game is costing us, the rest of the league figuring us out is costing us. We're literally relying on Jack Magic for wins now.
This is true and part of learning to win is more importantly learning how not to lose. This team is learning the hard way by mainly their own doing right now.

There are going to be growing pains as this team is led by a couple of young twenty year olds having their first real sucess at this level

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Devils are an extremely young team so I definitely can see them "not hitting the gas" for a bit after giving themselves a large cushion to play with. It's times like these when Leadership is proven.

Also Palat will be back soonish and that will push Haula and Tatar down the lineup.

Reactions: Satans Hockey

Louskoolaid89

We're back!
Oct 14, 2017
Gotta love the severson dope head play in the last fraction of the third period

f***ing moron

I can’t say I will be sad when he goes

Severson is that guy that thinks it’s ok because there’s 50 some odd games left as opposed to being upset that he contributed to extending the losing streak

And his offense sucks this year

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
You mean Toronto? The team we beat in overtime on the road for our 11th win in a row?
Nah in this case he probably means Winnipeg (19-9-1), although factually the Leafs do have a better points total because of two extra games played and six loser points.

Sweeping Canada was a fact though, they did sweep Canada on two separate road trips with three straight wins. A sweep doesn't mean you beat everyone in the world, just everyone on the road trip.

Reactions: Better Call Sal

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
That one’s on Damon. Inexcusable for a vet to make that play in a tie game. Need to start putting the puck in the net though. 2 goals scored in the last 7 periods isn’t going to cut it.
if you don't convert your chances the margin of error gets awfully small. in a win the rage about severson's brain fart would evaporate quickly.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Yay - another moral victory!
where were your concerns during the 13 game win streak, when the devils played meh or worse and still managed to win. the board was full of a 'sign of great team. pulling out wins, when playing bad' posts. now we are at the other end of the ledger and people here proclaim the end of the world. being lucky or unlucky is often the only difference in a tight game.

Great point. Even with the extra skater not one time was Hart's view obstructed with a screen.

One power play goal?

C'mon, Man!
if we convert 33% of our pp opportunities for the rest of the season, i am dancing 'happy' for 24 hours.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Pitt winning. Canes won. Rangers won. Shits falling apart
it's actually a good thing, when teams in the playoffs win against conference foes outside the playoffs. this means our cushion isn't shrinking, when we are losing.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
NJ is still a young team and a work in progress. They are missing a couple of guys that would help in a game like this and the Flyers got a nice night out of Hart. If you can’t see the difference between tonight and last season maybe you should consult with an optometrist.
holtz can't process the game fast enough. low hockey iq.

A lot of of this luck driven and things going the other way from where they were a month ago. But I can look at the schedule for the rest of the month. Even playing well Carolina, Boston and Florida aren’t easy games. This is a still a young team and and they are still human. Given the schedule one can easily turn into a mental thing where it end up not playing well as a result.
i hope our players aren't mentally as weak as large parts of our fan base. else it is really doom and gloom. :nod:

Reactions: Dialamo

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
How did getting beat once and one errant breakdown prevent the Devils from scoring an even strength goal?

The game-winning goal was scored with two defensemen on the ice who make nearly $14 million combined.

Think that's a bit bigger issue than Brendan Smith's play.

Perspective.
considering your posting history i had to look up the meaning of the word 'perspective'.

sigh of relief

They just outplayed 3 teams 5v5 and lost, how is what happened in November the lucky part but this is the part that's the reality of this team? You can't just pick and choose shit to fit your narrative. They're clearly somewhere in the middle of that W13 and L4 right now.
i quickly calculated a 4.5 win streak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad