Seravalli: Flyers turn down 1st and 2nd for Laughton

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Neat

Now make a list with all the players who were still available and see your entire argument fall apart.

I love that you say it’s a no-brainer to turn it down. lol

Rebuilding teams usually like to accumulate picks instead of guys who don’t fit their rebuild plans..

Yes, and they turned it down because they have reason to believe that they can accumulate more or better picks than what they were offered in this instance.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
And yet those "cautionary tales" are not actually learned from. GMs continue to pay premiums for "playoff"-type hockey players. Therefore it is a benchmark.

Like I mentioned, you can only say that it only takes one team so many times. And to be fair, the TDL isn't entirely comparable to the offseason.

It isn't a benchmark as much as it's wish in one hand, spit in the other, and see which fills up first.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
I know two things. This does not fit with any public comments Army has made about direction on team. St. Louis Blues front office is very tight lipped.

This smells of Briere floating this to try and drum up interest and value for his player.

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
It's comical how people refer to obviously bad trades as benchmarks. And in this case, they refer to a trade probably only one team in the league makes.

Chiarot was a disaster trade and should be a cautionary tale more than a benchmark.

Foligno to Toronto? LOL.

Giroux to Florida? LOL.

It only takes one team/one dumb GM. Yea right. You can only say that so many times.
Giroux to Florida? A first, a 3rd and a young 27 goals scorer?

pretty much one of best moves by Fletcher as Giroux forced the trade to Fla and Fla only. Did very well there.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
It's comical how people refer to obviously bad trades as benchmarks. And in this case, they refer to a trade probably only one team in the league makes.

Chiarot was a disaster trade and should be a cautionary tale more than a benchmark.

Foligno to Toronto? LOL.

Giroux to Florida? LOL.

It only takes one team/one dumb GM. Yea right. You can only say that so many times.
Do you even follow the league? People like you have been saying this very thing for years and years and NHL GM's continue to do NHL GM things over and over again. As much as maybe you or I don't think they should value certain players in a certain way they simply cannot help themselves and will always overpay for intangibles like versatility, heart, grit, and character.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
This is the exact opposite of the type of deal Armstrong said he's looking for in every interview this offseason.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Army is too smart to offer that. That doesn’t move the needle to address what the Blues need. Id rather give Zach Dean a shot at 3c and keep the picks

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
I feel like people aren’t reading the title of this thread.

The Flyers (according to a reputable insider) *already* turned down a 1st & a 2nd for Laughton.

That means the market is established already. This isn’t wishing and hoping on the Flyers part that Laughton is a commodity. It’s a fact, if you think Seravalli is truthful.

Reactions: Redpath

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I can see why a late 1st and and some spare change wouldn't get it done for Laughton.

He's easily going to command that sort of return. They don't need to move him at all...which puts them in the catbird seat on a deal. They can ask for something insane and wait to see if someone meets it.

Reactions: Redpath

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Man I can't remember which Flyer fan I was arguing with but I'll eat crow if this is true. Philly HF will remind me. Hope Danny isn't over playing his hand here though.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
If indeed this did happen, then Briere is making a mistake by leaking it. It will cause other GM's to hesitate to float things in conversations with him, if not out right freeze him out.
They mention all kinds of names all the time in private with each other, with the understanding that it is to be kept that way.

Reactions: Petes2424

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Some of these rumors are bs sold by the team to the reporters to make it sound like player has more interest than he really does
This… and let’s also not forget other managers aren’t too keen on airing anything publicly, out of respect for their own players and other teams.

Let’s just pretend it was Armstrong or Yzerman. They just won’t deal with a manager who plays the media games. So Briere wouldn’t be getting off to a great start if he’s leaking things like this.

He should be the only one involved. Period. If he didn’t take an offer, there’s no need to say things like this…. Managers do NOT like this at all. Players do not like it. It does nobody any good.

So if this is true, Briere just committed one of the mortal sins of being a manager, and it only took him a couple of months. If they have a leaker, fire the person. Look how stupid they looked with the whole JVR thing. Someone leaked something to the media. That means it was either Fletcher or someone else is involved in making decisions. Or at least trusted at a high level.

It’s just Mickey Mouse and most managers were players. They get it. You would expect Briere to get it.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
If indeed this did happen, then Briere is making a mistake by leaking it. It will cause other GM's to hesitate to float things in conversations with him, if not out right freeze him out.
They mention all kinds of names all the time in private with each other, with the understanding that it is to be kept that way.

I'd wager it's the other way around if anything. If someone leaked it...it's probably some GM who was annoyed that Briere wouldn't just take the offer and do the deal.

Reactions: MNRube

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Man this is the second Flyers-related trade board thread where I've seen you talking confidently and coming off goofy.

As others have noted, that isn't bad value for Laughton. But the contract and player are the sort of things GMs really covet. Some term, C/W flexibility, good on the PK, develops quick chemistry with most linemates, can score 15 goals and 40 points in a pinch. For $3m, that's NHL GM crack.

If the OP is correct, this would be at least the second time the Flyers turned down a 1st+ for Laughton (previously reported that Fletcher did the deadline before last—not that Fletcher's a good GM). It's not as if one lunatic GM would be coming out of the woodwork with an insane offer here, that's probably just the going rate for the player.

The Flyers really like him as a hockey player and presence in their room. They're in no rush to move on from him. He was the only player on the team that wore a letter last season, and he's the poster boy for Tortorella's TEAM CULTURE PLAY THE RIGHT WAY bullshit.

Briere, in that situation, is waiting for someone to actually pay a ludicrous price—whatever that is. Hold out a little longer to see if they can get the Jeannot special. Might be a risky game, given that Laughton has a bit of a concussion history and plays a style that's conducive to getting concussions.

Also kinda LOL at babying Briere on it. We'll have to wait and see what his future moves look like, but the return he got on his first ever trade—the Provorov deal—was pretty damn impressive. From the little evidence we have so far, he seems quite competent.
If you don’t care for reality, so be it.

Managers don’t leak things like this. That should be your first hint it’s likely not true.

Secondly. If they did leak this, it’s bush league. There will be managers who will not deal with other managers who they can’t trust to keep their mouth shut about their private conversations. They simply won’t answer the phone anymore. That only hurts the Flyers. Another reason why it’s likely not true.

You can believe what you like. That’s the reality.

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
This… and let’s also not forget other managers aren’t too keen on airing anything publicly, out of respect for their own players and other teams.

Let’s just pretend it was Armstrong or Yzerman. They just won’t deal with a manager who plays the media games. So Briere wouldn’t be getting off to a great start if he’s leaking things like this.

He should be the only one involved. Period. If he didn’t take an offer, there’s no need to say things like this…. Managers do NOT like this at all. Players do not like it. It does nobody any good.

So if this is true, Briere just committed one of the mortal sins of being a manager, and it only took him a couple of months. If they have a leaker, fire the person. Look how stupid they looked with the whole JVR thing. Someone leaked something to the media. That means it was either Fletcher or someone else is involved in making decisions. Or at least trusted at a high level.

It’s just Mickey Mouse and most managers were players. They get it. You would expect Briere to get it.

Leaking in not a mortal sin of being a manager. This is part of the game, regularly played by general managers across the league.

Armstrong and Yzerman are big boys who have been around for awhile. They aren't going to take a media pundit's rumor as some personal slight.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
What are they expecting to get? I feel like that's a pretty good offer, but maybe I'm underestimating his value.

Hes also signed for $3million/year for the next 3 seasons which is a pretty good number.

He's clearly part of the Torts approved group of core players he wants to build around. Laughton will easily be worth that as a pending UFA deadline deal in a couple of years.

Unless his play nosedives / he suffers a serious injury.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
I can see why a late 1st and and some spare change wouldn't get it done for Laughton.

He's easily going to command that sort of return. They don't need to move him at all...which puts them in the catbird seat on a deal. They can ask for something insane and wait to see if someone meets it.

Sure but what are the flyers doing anytime soon? His value is because of the contract and term. The value drops the longer they hold onto him. It is not like he is that young either.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
Absurd. Guy is almost 30 and this last season was the first time he has ever sniffed 20 goals and 50 points.

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
It’s a buyers market right now.

Calgary whole team
Philly’s guys
Debrincat
Pesce
Winnipeg players

I think Briere is naive and over playing his hand.

The smartest move, might be the first to move.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad