Seravalli: Flyers turn down 1st and 2nd for Laughton

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
This only proves some of the offers for a signed DeBrincat are a complete joke.

Debrincat is a much different player with much higher cap implications. It's not comparable whatsoever.

That being said, this doesn't make sense for the Blues unless we were gaining cap space as well with extended term.

I'm not really buying that this was ever on the table.

Reactions: WingsToPick4th

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Debrincat is a much different player with much higher cap implications. It's not comparable whatsoever.

That being said, this doesn't make sense for the Blues unless we were gaining cap space as well with extended term.

I'm not really buying that this was ever on the table.
Not talking about any Blues offers. I haven't seen any Blues offers for DeBrincat. Just in general. Like if the best piece is a 2nd rounder. And I'm aware DeBrincat has a much higher cap hit. However if a team can afford him long term on a long caphit, they should be at least giving a mid first rounder.

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
No brainer to turn down. A 40 point player is worth more than a pick who more then likely will never become a full time nhler.

Drafts since 2000, pick #25 who played 200+ games. That's 20 picks if we exclude 2020+ since it's too new.

2000: Steve Ott
2002: Cam Ward
2003: Anthony Stewart
2005: Andrew Cogliano
2006: Patrik Berglund
2014: David Pastrnak
2015: Jack Roslovic

20 picks, 13 total busts, 1 decent goalie, 1 goon, 4 middle tier forwards comparable to Laughton and 1 superstar.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I can see why they turned it down. Value is fair, or close, but I bet they could get a better piece than a mid/late-20s pick.

Remember the Kapanen trade? It only takes one GM....

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Briere is just doing his job. He has a week to go until the draft to see if he gets a better offer. If he doesn't he can always circle back and take that one or get something similar elsewhere.

Also, for those being shocked it's like you don't even pay attention the league. Players like Laughton are an NHL GM's wet dream. He's tough, well respected around the league, liked by teammates, can play in a variety of different roles and positions, and is signed for three years at a reasonable cap hit. Players like him go for first round picks and more all of the time and often times even when they are pending UFA's. Three years of Laughton at a 3 million cap hit is a great piece on a 3rd line for a contending team.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Seems like a decent offer and seems reasonable to turn it down to me.

Edit: Laughton is a center signed for 3m x 3 years, who does a ton of stuff GMs covet. Seems reasonable to only accept a trade you can't say no to really.
Canucks should offer 11th overall for Laughton. He would be great for Canucks top 6 or 3rd line center.

Kuzmenko-Pettersson-Boeser
Mikheyev-Miller-Beauvillier
Garland-Laughton-Podkolzin
Joshua-Aman-Studenicka

This will make the Canucks forward and goalie depth be complete. Garland could be traded to make more cap space for someone like Hoglander. Laughton is a center and has the perfect cap hit for 3 years keeping the cost down for the Canucks.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Canucks should offer 11th overall for Laughton. He would be great for Canucks top 6 or 3rd line center.

Kuzmenko-Pettersson-Boeser
Mikheyev-Miller-Beauvillier
Garland-Laughton-Podkolzin
Joshua-Aman-Studenicka

This will make the Canucks forward and goalie depth be complete. Garland could be traded to make more cap space for someone like Hoglander. Laughton is a center and has the perfect cap hit for 3 years keeping the cost down for the Canucks.
No, they absolutely should not.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
People badly overrate picks.
His contract is great, extremely late 1st and 2nd is not as good of an offer as it sounds
it makes perfect sense for Canucks to get him. Very good low cap hit for 3 years while the team needs cap flexibility until they get rid of some of the big contracts like Boeser, Garland, Myer etc.

No, they absolutely should not.
unless they have a good player targeted for that 11th pick and still is available, they could easily get Laughton for the pick. But if there is a good player at 11th, then we shouldn't trade the pick. By that I mean if Reinbacher, Moore or someone like Will Smith is still available.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
it makes perfect sense for Canucks to get him. Very good low cap hit for 3 years while the team needs cap flexibility until they get rid of some of the big contracts like Boeser, Garland, Myer etc.

unless they have a good player targeted for that 11th pick and still is available, they could easily get Laughton for the pick. But if there is a good player at 11th, then we shouldn't trade the pick. By that I mean if Reinbacher, Moore or someone like Will Smith is still available.
There's going to be a premium player available at 11. This team has a dearth of prospects. Don't trade the pick.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
My thoughts exactly. Exactly what do the Flyers think Laughton is? He's a bottom six forward with a career high of 18 goals and 43 points. And it's not like he's got Selke defense to compensate for the middling offense.

for the trillionth time

it's not who the Flyers think he is. it's who other GMs think he is. and given that this is not the first time they've reportedly turned down a 1st+ offer for him, other GMs think he's a guy worth a 1st+.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
for the trillionth time

it's not who the Flyers think he is. it's who other GMs think he is. and given that this is not the first time they've reportedly turned down a 1st+ offer for him, other GMs think he's a guy worth a 1st+.
It's like people that are supposed NHL fans don't even pay attention to the league. Nick Foligno was a pending UFA, had a higher cap hit, was less productive, and a few years older than Laughton when he was traded for a 1st and 4th round picks. Tanner Jeannot just went for a first, second, third, fourth, fifth, and prospect. GM's simply can't help themselves when it comes to gritty character middle 6 forwards and they will always pay a premium and then some. I realize it's a different position but it's the same Florida gave up a first, fourth, and prospect for a pending UFA Ben Chiarot. No matter how much the games chances NHL GM's still love their character and grit.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
My thoughts exactly. Exactly what do the Flyers think Laughton is? He's a bottom six forward with a career high of 18 goals and 43 points. And it's not like he's got Selke defense to compensate for the middling offense.

I can actually see why they could turn that down.

1. Signed 3 years more
2. 3 mill is a good deal
3. Did well in the worlds
4. Rumor is a 1st was offered for him as a rental. He’s older now by a bit but has outplayed his contract so far.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
It's like people that are supposed NHL fans don't even pay attention to the league. Nick Foligno was a pending UFA, had a higher cap hit, was less productive, and a few years older than Laughton when he was traded for a 1st and 4th round picks. Tanner Jeannot just went for a first, second, third, fourth, fifth, and prospect. GM's simply can't help themselves when it comes to gritty character middle 6 forwards and they will always pay a premium and then some. I realize it's a different position but it's the same Florida gave up a first, fourth, and prospect for a pending UFA Ben Chiarot. No matter how much the games chances NHL GM's still love their character and grit.

Not to mention the aforementioned overrating of picks, as if pick #28 is somehow worth its weight in gold because it comes up on the first night, but pick #38 is just a middling asset because it's made in the daytime.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Not to mention the aforementioned overrating of picks, as if pick #28 is somehow worth its weight in gold because it comes up on the first night, but pick #38 is just a middling asset because it's made in the daytime.
Value is all relative. Picks and prospects are highly valuable to rebuilding teams, not nearly as much to playoff teams whose core gives them a realistic window of 2-4 years. A late first round pick who is 2-3 years away from even debuting in the NHL let alone having an impact isn't as valuable to a team trying to win a cup as fans would like to think.

St. Louis is a team who could go either way in terms of trying to make one last push for a cup over the next 2-3 years or looking towards the future. One thing I know from watching the Hextall era is you can't have it both ways and have to pick a direction. St. Louis has three first round picks this year. Giving up the 3rd of those picks which is 29th overall and a 2024 2nd round pick that wouldn't even play in NHL game until 2027 if at all, isn't anywhere near the massive haul some fans would have you believe.

Long story short is to say that I agree with you that fan bases often overrate the hell out of late first round picks because they are first round picks.

Reactions: Rich Nixon

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think this is smart by Briere. You'll probably get as much or more at the trade deadline so just be patient and keep listening. You don't need all of your rebuilding assets in one draft.

A late 1st is not worth nearly as much as folks here think it is.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
2560px-Grits1.jpg

I love my grits too but I ain't paying $30 for it, just because I like it

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Makes sense. Laughton has term, position versatility, intangibles, and is better than Jeannot.

Does Tampa still have the assets to make that trade again? If so, give them a call. Otherwise, your benchmark just left the room

Apr 9, 2009
USA
No brainer to turn down. A 40 point player is worth more than a pick who more then likely will never become a full time nhler.

Drafts since 2000, pick #25 who played 200+ games. That's 20 picks if we exclude 2020+ since it's too new.

2000: Steve Ott
2002: Cam Ward
2003: Anthony Stewart
2005: Andrew Cogliano
2006: Patrik Berglund
2014: David Pastrnak
2015: Jack Roslovic

20 picks, 13 total busts, 1 decent goalie, 1 goon, 4 middle tier forwards comparable to Laughton and 1 superstar.

Neat

Now make a list with all the players who were still available and see your entire argument fall apart.

I love that you say it’s a no-brainer to turn it down. lol

Rebuilding teams usually like to accumulate picks instead of guys who don’t fit their rebuild plans..

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
Does Tampa still have the assets to make that trade again? If so, give them a call. Otherwise, your benchmark just left the room

Why would that benchmark be limited to Tampa? There is a record of teams paying 1st rounders+ for players worse than Laughton.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Why would that benchmark be limited to Tampa? There is a record of teams paying 1st rounders+ for players worse than Laughton.

It's comical how people refer to obviously bad trades as benchmarks. And in this case, they refer to a trade probably only one team in the league makes.

Chiarot was a disaster trade and should be a cautionary tale more than a benchmark.

Foligno to Toronto? LOL.

Giroux to Florida? LOL.

It only takes one team/one dumb GM. Yea right. You can only say that so many times.

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
It's comical how people refer to obviously bad trades as benchmarks. And in this case, they refer to a trade probably only one team in the league makes.

Chiarot was a disaster trade and should be a cautionary tale more than a benchmark.

Foligno to Toronto? LOL.

Giroux to Florida? LOL.

It only takes one team/one dumb GM. Yea right. You can only say that so many times.

And yet those "cautionary tales" are not actually learned from. GMs continue to pay premiums for "playoff"-type hockey players. Therefore it is a benchmark.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad