Confirmed with Link: Flyers Trade Jakub Voracek To Columbus For Cam Atkinson

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Jakes contract + performance combo tanked his value. Getting a similar level of player back with $3 million AAV savings is a win for me. It was time to move on from Jake. Both sides agreed.
I'm not sure why Columbus did this though. They don't look like a team that will be competing for the playoffs in the near future. Why add 32 year old Voracek and his contract?

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
upload_2021-7-24_12-13-39.gif

upload_2021-7-24_12-14-16.gif

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
If there is no retention this is a good trade though I am a big Voracek fan so it is disappointing as well. The Flyers get the extra cap space and a good player in return so you can't hate it.

Reactions: Fragmuffin

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
This is not bad... he's an all around good player.... Jake's the better player but I was expecting worse.lol
Honestly a lot easier to trade a $5.8 million dollar player in the future than $8.3 million..... plus the buyout isn't bad.... I don't like the extra year that's what bothers me the most in the trade

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I knew he was gone but jfc why for an older, worse player???? Why? I didn't expect to get a king's ransom and assumed we'd retain salary...but come on! Trade him for a 4th rounder and use the cap space to sign a player at the same price as Atkinson that will produce the same level. Ugh

Nizzle

no hope, no future, no second chance
May 13, 2009
I remember a while ago I posted "Älkää vittu tehkö mitään tyhmää". Fletcher obviusly didn't listen.

Reactions: Fasu

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
I'm not sure why Columbus did this though. They don't look like a team that will be competing for the playoffs in the near future. Why add 32 year old Voracek and his contract?

Statically how common is it for a player of his stature to age well the next four years? He's 5'9" and a shooter.

Jake is likely to play at his current level the rest of his contract and it's 1 year shorter.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I loved Jake's time as a Flyer, on and off the ice. What a horse. Him and Giroux deserved better for their tenures.

Chuck losing salary without giving up his first born is something I can live with, but you guys do know whatever is freed up is going into a shitty 4th line PKer, right? Atkinson is still value providing, but he's a 32 year old (signed until 35) who is a shoot first guy who has seen finishing and shooting rate drops. That profile is more concerning than a skating playmaker. Does that bounce back in Philly? Possible. Well, that's the bet, I guess. Easy to root for Atkinson though.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Jakes contract + performance combo tanked his value. Getting a similar level of player back with $3 million AAV savings is a win for me. It was time to move on from Jake. Both sides agreed.

I think Jake is certainly better than Cam at this point (wanna see a numbers dip, boyyyy check out Atkinson's) and it's only a 2.35 mill savings - so good, but 650K off so I have to note it for the sake of this discussion.

It's a win for me only because:
1) Jake asked for a trade, so it seems he had to go regardless
2) I expected Fletch to pay Columbus more than Jake
3) There's a chance this guy could bounce back and find some scoring stroke again with a Giroux.

I just hate trading the best player in the deal with nothing in return other than cap savings. We take on the extra contract year as well. Cam seems to be a well liked guy and has some leadership ability, but...RAWR

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad