Confirmed with Link: Flyers trade for Erik Johnson. 2024 4th round pick to Buffalo

Grade the move!

• Total voters

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I think this is an excellent idea. I for one am tired of so many posters here going after a certain poster who shares my affinity for the Grateful Dead. Never really understood their obsession with him.

Not me! I'm very positive now. Very easy to get along with.

Anyway, every single one of us is an idiot. We passionately post and argue about a bad team in a borderline niche sport. Just lean into it.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Fantastic post. If they were really rebuilding they wouldn’t have signed the ves that kept kids out of the lineup all year and vets they didn’t deal when they could: Laughton, Hathaway, Poehling, Staal. Especially when they knew Hart was leaving, this was not the year to try to compete. This was the year to find out if Allison, Laczynski, Desnoyers, Attard, Zamula, and Andrae can play. The new mgmt had license to rebuild and tank for a legit 1C or 1D this year and blew it. Now they will miss the playoffs AND miss the elite draft talent. Bravo?

The Poehling signing is the finest of the moves, but I still question the point. I strongly doubt the guy will be relevant or possibly even in the league by the time the Flyers should be expecting to be relevant. But, they also need bodies since a certain mistake-free Clarkeboi GM decided to only acquire right wings with the plan of converting them to C/LW/D/G/Development Coach/Gritty if needed.

mercury

Mar 10, 2003
South Philly/SoCal
Visit site
Congrats. You, of the few non-idiots here, repeatedly comes to a website full of what you think are idiots to complain about the idiots. But not you though, you're above all the idiots here.

Would that we could all learn from your wise correctness.

This, but unironically.

Great post

Sadly, it's one of the best in this thread.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Not me! I'm very positive now. Very easy to get along with.

Anyway, every single one of us is an idiot. We passionately post and argue about a bad team in a borderline niche sport. Just lean into it.

By far idiots.

They are 100% in the bottom 3 of worst run franchises in the NHL. Comcast, and its financial power just help mask it a little.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
By far idiots.

They are 100% in the bottom 3 of worst run franchises in the NHL. Comcast, and its financial power just help mask it a little.

And considering the NHL by and large is run in the most hobby-like, amateur fashion of the major sports leagues, being at that bottom puts you comfortably at the bottom for sports in general.

But being positive, if you flip that around, it means they are in the TOP percentile for being... things.

mercury

Mar 10, 2003
South Philly/SoCal
Visit site
1) Yes, it's fallacious. There's nothing inherently correct or reasonable about assuming the middle ground to be true. I refuse to eat shit, while GB happily licks his plate clean. You insisting that I'm being extreme and that a plate of shit is ok eating now and then is f***ing bonkers.

2) IT ALL MATTERS! The next time one of you (non)-idiots type out that something doesn't matter, I'm going to shove a pencil into my eye. Every little decision matters. Attention to detail matters. You aren't going to get them all right, and that's fine, but you make every reasonable effort to be efficient with assets, and to correctly identify which ones can help you build a championship team. This team consistently fails at that, and it's because of a failed organizational culture that values the wrong things, and the change in leadership didn't change that.

3) It isn't that we're all parroting the company line, it's that we have all correctly deduced that the only thing this team is serving up is gigantic plates of shit, and we're done eating it. I barely post at this point, and when I do, it's usually about a fictional hockey team traveling to an alternate dimension. Why? Because this f***ing team's stupidity has robbed me from enjoying the only thing in sports I really actually cared about.

4) And that's what this comes down to: you aren't having any fun talking hockey because the board is being negative. Again, feel free to find a somewhere more to your liking, where it's ok to eat giant plates of shit every once in a while. I hear they do enjoy downing steaming piles of shit over on FB or reddit, so maybe check them out?

I'd still have a problem with it, because it would be an objectively bad decision. You don't spend even negligible assets on negative value players, because you don't target them at all! One of the biggest issues this franchise has had is bad pro player evaluations, what with their penchant for washed vets and try-hard jags, which this TDL has once again confirmed to be a problem.

You just want your own echo-chamber, nothing less and nothing more, and I'm actually totally down with that. Start a thread, call it the good vibes only thread. I think the mods might go for that if we can contain all of your shit-eating to that thread. I'll happily ban myself from it until I see anything in this team's process that even remotely smacks of having an actual plan or direction worth getting even tentatively excited about.

There is NOTHING fallacious about taking things on their own merits. You are wrong. Stop it. Incorrect calling out of fallacies is one of the most annoying things on the Internet. Stop being an illogical douche.

You are parroting a company line. You are as mindless as the old Flyers regime. Your brains are turned off. It isn't about "not having fun." YOU ARE WRONG. Dead wrong. Get this through your skull, and stop gaslighting the people correctly calling you out.

mercury

Mar 10, 2003
South Philly/SoCal
Visit site
3 percent of posts is nothingness. The fact is that you come here determined to whine about other people and you ignore the 97% of discussion that doesn't suit your preferred narrative. So you can focus on the very few comments that confirm what you falsely believe to be true.

How about you try discussing the Flyers instead of the posters? That's what this place is for. It's a sports forum, not an e-gossip club.

You were objectively wrong, and you still want to argue with me. You lost. You probably lose a lot in your life. You should be able to get over it by this point.

I envy how sheltered your life has been

Funny, I don't envy a thing about you.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
And considering the NHL by and large is run in the most hobby-like, amateur fashion of the major sports leagues, being at that bottom puts you comfortably at the bottom for sports in general.

But being positive, if you flip that around, it means they are in the TOP percentile for being... things.
I blame it on Canada.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
A 4th never means nothing -- and rebuilding teams don't trade 4ths for 36 year old cooked stop gap 6/7D at the deadline for a playoff race -- but where I will push back is: I don't think they're early in the rebuild; I think it's winding down. The only guy they moved, which everyone points to as a rebuild move, they very much tried to re-sign! They've already told us they don't plan on drafting high again and won't spend $11-12MM on a single player. Briere's own words: "Well, we did draft high the last two years. [...] Colorado has three or four high-end guys. We’re not going to be built that way. So depth will be important to us."

They speak out both sides of their mouth sometimes, but I'm struggling to see what other assets they're going to acquire. They don't want to sell anyone, not even 30 year olds. They don't plan on drafting high. If they trade for a mid-20s player with a 1st and 2nd, I think that will put the kibosh on it. They think the Culture™ they've built is the crux of the rebuild -- throw in one Michkov-- and the talent at hand will rise to meet it.

I can understand that perspective but it still feels a little too hopeless, like the rebuild is already lost anyways.

It's certainly a bad deal for the immediate future, but it just seems like a small loss in the grander sense.

Reactions: Magua

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
We called Stall will be worth nothing. He is worth nothing

We called Carter Hart will be involved in this thing
He is.

We called they dont trade Laughton. They didnt.

We called they will resign Seeler. They did.

We called they will not play the Kids in a "rebuild" they didnt.

We called they would overplay Couts and he will reinjure early. They did, he is most likely injured right now

We called they will play Atkinson over young players. They did

We called that the style of play from torts will wear the team down and it is not sustainable. The whole defense is injured now

And could go on and on. But we are just whiners without reasons! Its really good to see what is happening. When next year all is breaking Down they will say at least we were in the playoffs last year

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
If people want a more unbiased(either way) view of this deal, go to the main boards and read what lots of other fans think of this deal.

And while there, also read the Colin Miller trade thread to see the responses of that 30+ year old, 3rd pairing RHD who was also traded for a 4th.

The threads are polar opposites.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018
Konecny had bigger head issues. Much larger concerns. If you skip every pick over injury concerns you'll miss on a ton.
That was the bad “cherry”. His core issues were also a concern. Missed a lot of games with that. Combining them both, flyer team and nhl scouts (small group) not “in love” with the player, the right thing would have been to pass. In my opinion. They hid the migraine/concussion issues from the public pretty well. We all thought it was just the core issues. At least I did.

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I don’t think comparing it to Colin Miller is fair, the Devils would’ve never traded him here.

Dumba, however.

Last edited:

BlackandOrange

Jul 12, 2018
Breadalbane, PE
Gave it a D. Flyers are slammed with D injuries with Seeler, Risto (thankfully), and Drysdale on LTIR. With Walker moved we needed a body on the backend but thought better D went for the same or less.

Put Attard and Ginning as a pair. See what we have.

Keep in mind that a D doesn't pass the class but it is no F grade a la Paul Gaustad for a 1st.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad