Flyers trade deadline (Flyers claim J. Oduya off waivers; lose Alt to Colorado)

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I really don't think you can get an A prospect and a 1st in the offseason. You're losing a ton of value if you keep him beyond this year's deadline. Pick one of those two and add a significant secondary asset.

Reactions: SnS

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If the Flyers are in playoff contention, I think Hextall makes "sideways" trades, maybe package Manning, Filppula, and . . . for a veteran center with one or two years left, take on some salary, but give up little of value.

If the Flyers are out of contention, Hextall will be trading for draft picks, or young assets for other young assets, say Sanheim/Morin, ??? and a 3rd rd pick for a top young RHD. More likely will be MacDonald with salary retained, Manning, Filppula, Leier for draft picks.

Simmonds is a special situation, they'll want to keep him if they're contending for a playoff spot, but might offer him the option of being traded to a cup contender if they're out of the playoffs. Simmonds may want the shot at the cup.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I wonder if Ghost’s presence diminishes OEL’s value somewhat.
OEL relies on the PP for a lot of his points; more than most #1s.
Had a Hägg-like 45.4% magic CF% last season, though for his career 50.2 w/ a 2.6 Rel.
That said, -39 is pretty astounding at the break, even given bad luck.
I wonder if the assets it would cost to acquire him would be better leveraged elsewhere. Like 2C.

Reactions: Shodein

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Except we have a 2C, just might take until next year, and with Frost coming, we potentially have 3 1Cs in a couple years.
We have Giroux, Voracek, Konecny, Lindblom at wing, with Allison and Rubtsov on the way.
Depends if Provorov - Ghost makes long-term sense, if not, then shuffling defensemen to find a top 4 RHD makes sense.
The one thing that might be missing in the organization is a pure sniper.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I wonder if Ghost’s presence diminishes OEL’s value somewhat.
OEL relies on the PP for a lot of his points; more than most #1s.
Had a Hägg-like 45.4% magic CF% last season, though for his career 50.2 w/ a 2.6 Rel.
That said, -39 is pretty astounding at the break, even given bad luck.
I wonder if the assets it would cost to acquire him would be better leveraged elsewhere. Like 2C.

This is why I don't think we would trade for OEL to begin with.

A team willing to pony up the assets will be a team that needs a top pairing defensemen and PP1 QB.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
Hey deadhead, when Frost is getting scratched next year for players like Filppula and Lehtera even though he is playing better, will you still defend the decision?

Reactions: kelmitchell

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
Hextall complained about the amount of picks he had last draft. I don't think he's looking to maximize the number of draft picks he has.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I'm legitimately considering making a list of everyone who's saying to trade Simmonds.

That way, if it does happen, they can't get away with *****ing about it if he has a good year on a new team and saying how they never wanted him traded (like so many did with the Schenn trade).
Don't forget me...I am in that group.

I have said that if you are willing to trade Schenn with 3 years left on his deal for futures, you should be with Simmonds with 2 years left as well. Now it's at 1.5 years left.

If we are close to the playoffs, I don't see him being moved as Hextall won't do that to the vets having great years. But if we are 6 points back, he certainly should be moved if the return is right.

Trade deadline, you can extract more in the bidding war and 2 playoff runs. Wait until the draft, and the picks have way more value than they usually have before or afterwards. You have all the scouts in the GM's ears that day.

Should we be shocked if he is traded on June 23rd? After all, that's trade a Flyers player day. Richards, Carter, JVR, Hartnell, Schenn...all gone on June 23rd.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Don't forget me...I am in that group.

I have said that if you are willing to trade Schenn with 3 years left on his deal for futures, you should be with Simmonds with 2 years left as well. Now it's at 1.5 years left.

If we are close to the playoffs, I don't see him being moved as Hextall won't do that to the vets having great years. But if we are 6 points back, he certainly should be moved if the return is right.

Trade deadline, you can extract more in the bidding war and 2 playoff runs. Wait until the draft, and the picks have way more value than they usually have before or afterwards. You have all the scouts in the GM's ears that day.

Should we be shocked if he is traded on June 23rd? After all, that's trade a Flyers player day. Richards, Carter, JVR, Hartnell, Schenn...all gone on June 23rd.
Uhhh..... I don't think you're in the group I'm talking about.

I don't remember you complaining for years that you wanted Schenn gone ASAP and then suddenly switched to loving him after the trade.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Uhhh..... I don't think you're in the group I'm talking about.

I don't remember you complaining for years that you wanted Schenn gone ASAP and then suddenly switched to loving him after the trade.
No...I was not. I wanted Simmonds moved before Schenn just due to contract length and the return I felt Simmonds would get.

Reactions: RANKKA and Striiker

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
No...I was not. I wanted Simmonds moved before Schenn just due to contract length and the return I felt Simmonds would get.
Didn't think so :laugh:

And I didn't want either moved. But after seeing the trade I'm fine with it. Now, based on Simmonds play this year, I'm worried about how he'll be during that next contract, so I'm fine with the idea of trading him.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Didn't think so :laugh:

And I didn't want either moved. But after seeing the trade I'm fine with it. Now, based on Simmonds play this year, I'm worried about how he'll be during that next contract, so I'm fine with the idea of trading him.
This year's early Simmonds was a glimpse into what a very bad Simmonds would be like. Not fun if you were paying him 6 million for 6 years. Happy we got the great years from him, let someone else overpay for the risky years.

And especially if trading Schenn was about the future, Simmonds certainly should be too. Finish the job, Hextall.

Reactions: RANKKA and Striiker

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
This year's early Simmonds was a glimpse into what a very bad Simmonds would be like. Not fun if you were paying him 6 million for 6 years. Happy we got the great years from him, let someone else overpay for the risky years.

And especially if trading Schenn was about the future, Simmonds certainly should be too. Finish the job, Hextall.
It's really sad though, Simmonds is one of my favorite Flyers ever. I never got to watch a lot of the guys many of you have great memories of, so he's one of the best (and most likable) I've seen.

Reactions: SnS and Tripod

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
It's really sad though, Simmonds is one of my favorite Flyers ever. I never got to watch a lot of the guys many of you have great memories of, so he's one of the best (and most likable) I've seen.

Still pretty productive though and its not like he cant have a better second half still..and im not convince he gets traded.

If he is willing go go 4 × $6 I think Hextall would re-sign him.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hey deadhead, when Frost is getting scratched next year for players like Filppula and Lehtera even though he is playing better, will you still defend the decision?

Frost won't get scratched for anyone, the same way Patrick hasn't been scratched this year.
And since he'll only make the team if he's physically ready, he'll play 15-16 minutes a night.
Ask Magua, Frost is one of those high hockey IQ players that doesn't need to be ridden hard.

And we're not going to have players like Filppula and Lehtera on the roster next year.
Lindblom, NAK, maybe MV will be up with Morin and Myers.
Vorobyev will probably be up by the spring.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hextall complained about the amount of picks he had last draft. I don't think he's looking to maximize the number of draft picks he has.

He's probably facing a contract limit crunch in the near future.
So while he may add draft picks, some could be futures (2019/2020) and others cannon fodder for draft day trades (Ratcliffe).
I also could see him doing some "Shero" deals, trading picks for other team's young players who are blocked or disappointments.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Patrick also isn’t getting scratched because they have no one besides Jori to fill in for a game or two. I do think there’s #2 pick magic involved.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Frost won't get scratched for anyone, the same way Patrick hasn't been scratched this year.
And since he'll only make the team if he's physically ready, he'll play 15-16 minutes a night.
Ask Magua, Frost is one of those high hockey IQ players that doesn't need to be ridden hard.

And we're not going to have players like Filppula and Lehtera on the roster next year.
Lindblom, NAK, maybe MV will be up with Morin and Myers.
Vorobyev will probably be up by the spring.
Lol...frost is doing the exact thing that Konecny did his draft+1 season...and got benched.

It's funny to watch as you start down a road about certain guys like Frost and later NAK. Oh, and Sushko once Hextall spoke out in him.

Reactions: Rebels57

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Frost is nothing like Konecny.
Konecny is exciting, but if you watched last night, he started doing the same things that got him benched, he simply doesn't have a high hockey IQ.
Speed, fiesty, skilled, but gets out of control at times, forces things and becomes a turnover machine. And sometimes forgets half the game is defense.

Guys like Couts, Patrick and Frost have been lauded for their ice sense from a young age.
Patrick's struggles this year are physical, and when a player is used to being able to do certain things and can't (see Giroux last year), it's hard to adjust and it throws off your timing (legs? legs? where's the overdrive?).

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
Simmer right now has a ton of value being traded to a team that has a legit chance at making a deep run, the return would be nice, BUT my biggest problem with it other than him being one of my favorites, is how soft this team becomes when he’s traded, it’s a struggle now for this team to play with attoand snarl, I would most likely throw up watching a Flyers team get pushed around,
Wait
Did I just crack Hexy’s code?!?
He’s taking away the grit and the team is getting pushed around and handled, then he puts together a bunch of gritty players with skill, and maked the Bullies part Duex

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad