Flyers trade deadline (Flyers claim J. Oduya off waivers; lose Alt to Colorado)

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
It obviously depends on where the Flyers are in a month. They're technically a playoff bubble team right now, so it's unlikely they'll be sellers if that stays the same.

Shodein

May 27, 2015
Maybe Morin gets given away for a pick,,
Maybe Raffl for a pick

Nothing else imo,, Manning and FLip are worthless, better players are being waived all the time
Don't think"given away" is the correct term. He doesn't have the upside of Sanheim or Myers but I'd be more inclined to move Gudas before him.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Filpula get moved for a late pick as a playoff rental. I'd be surprised if Raffl gets traded... They really like him for his $

Shodein

May 27, 2015
Raffle, Simmonds,weise,lethera,leier,Manning,gudas, Mac and filp should be gone starting now and kill the chance at playoffs.
Seems like you really want Simmonds traded. Can't imagine he goes at the deadline, but maybe if contact talks aren't going well, we could see him gone this summer. I think the value may be at its highest for a playoff team making a run though.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Moving Simmonds now would bring a good bit more value rather than in the summer. I don't think Hextall has the moxie to do it though.

Reactions: BillDineen

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I don’t think Simmonds is going anywhere. Part of the reason Schenn was traded was probably to clear some cap space (assuming Lehtera gets bought out after the season).

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Interestingly enough, since the current 5 man PP1 unit was assembled, Simmonds has been putting up points at the lowest rate. Almost 0.7 points less than Coots, though of course that is subject to wide fluctuation still given the size of the sample of PP time in general, let alone 2.5 months of it. And he's been unlucky too, and I don't doubt his influence goes beyond points, and there's some coinciding with injury.

But you have Coots basically matching Schenn's totals, and the main trio at the top of the umbrella is doing as good as ever on the PP. Simmonds is at 3.98 p/60......down from 4.98, 4.35, 6.14, 5.24 the last 4 years. I don't believe he's not replaceable too long-term, whether that's Patrick (who might not score as much but might create more) or TK or a lefty like Lindblom. That's not minimizing he's one of the best.

He's scoring like a 4th liner at 5v5, two years in a row. Not that I think he's not a product to at least some extent of poor depth and circumstance too, but it's just not encouraging either. His signing will simply come down to intangibles, which is a dangerous game for an early 30s guy signing long term. This will be the biggest decision Hextall has made yet, cluing us in to whether he really has a plan with the kids or just likes to spin plates. Waiting to trade him only takes a piece out of his trade value, but Hextall is probably not doing anything this deadline, let alone trading a major player.

Last edited:

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
I'm legitimately considering making a list of everyone who's saying to trade Simmonds.

That way, if it does happen, they can't get away with *****ing about it if he has a good year on a new team and saying how they never wanted him traded (like so many did with the Schenn trade).
He's a good player and will have a good year but we're six to seven yrs away.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I'm legitimately considering making a list of everyone who's saying to trade Simmonds.

That way, if it does happen, they can't get away with *****ing about it if he has a good year on a new team and saying how they never wanted him traded (like so many did with the Schenn trade).

My official declaration is this..

Don't trade him in-season while the team is pushing for the playoffs.

Consider trading him this summer if a team makes a strong offer.

That offer should include either an elite prospect (Tolvanen) or good forward aged 24 or younger (Fiala) AND a 1st round pick.

If you don't get a strong offer hold onto him. The Flyers should be better next season and having Simmonds here would still be good for the club. Re-assess the situation with regards to his contract as the season progresses.

Reactions: The Rage Kage

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Another thing that theoretically could impact Simmonds’ value is he has a 12-team no trade clause.

I assume those are mostly non-playoff teams who wouldn’t be his top suitors, but you never know for sure. Could stop them from getting the best deal.

I’d be fine with a 3 year extension. After that it gets dicey. If he wants 5 years or more I wouldn’t blame them for trading him while they can. Still think it’s unlikely, & that it wouldn’t happen until after the season or if they’re eliminated before the trade deadline.

Reactions: hatcher

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
My official declaration is this..

Don't trade him in-season while the team is pushing for the playoffs.

Consider trading him this summer if a team makes a strong offer.

That offer should include either an elite prospect (Tolvanen) or good forward aged 24 or younger (Fiala) AND a 1st round pick.

If you don't get a strong offer hold onto him. The Flyers should be better next season and having Simmonds here would still be good for the club. Re-assess the situation with regards to his contract as the season progresses.
Basically my thoughts too.

Reactions: Rebels57

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
I'd be interested in OEL if we can get a decent price. Maybe our late 1st and some other stuff...Hagg and Friedman? And Cap dump them if possible. Weise or someone.

I'd also be open to looking into E. Kane for an energetic, speedy scorer. He may cost less, and will fix a different problem.

These aren't prototypical one-and-done vets, these are 26 year olds who could be part of your future.

But all of this depends if we're buyers or sellers. Either way, I'd love to dump the garbage and open roster spots like others are mentioning.

Reactions: hatcher

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I'd be interested in OEL if we can get a decent price. Maybe our late 1st and some other stuff...Hagg and Friedman? And Cap dump them if possible. Weise or someone.

I'd also be open to looking into E. Kane for an energetic, speedy scorer. He may cost less, and will fix a different problem.

These aren't prototypical one-and-done vets, these are 26 year olds who could be part of your future.

But all of this depends if we're buyers or sellers. Either way, I'd love to dump the garbage and open roster spots like others are mentioning.

There would have to be a significant prospect or young player attached to our 1st to land OEL. He's a top 20 defensemen in the NHL. This guy added to an actual good team would be a major boost.

Oliver Ekman-Larsson Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad