Flyers town hall meeting (alternate jersey for 2014-15)

blinds

Jan 5, 2012
If he's not on the team then maybe opening night forwards look like this.

Schenn-Giroux-Voracek
Umberger-Couturier-Read
Akeson-Lecavalier-Simmonds
PEB-Raffl-Rinaldo

Man, that third line would be a train wreck defensively. They fit together well in the offensive zone, but I'd be terrified as soon as they lost possession of the puck. That LW depth is pathetic too, hopefully Schenn can make the switch well.

Probably the best lineup combinations I've seen if we stay pat this offseason though.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
What silly person suggested moving Voracek to the other wing ? I'd have boo'd.

chupanibre

The GhostBear Cometh
Feb 10, 2014
Bologna, ITA
The next question asked was who was going to play left wing on the top line. Again Berube said that this would be decided in training camp. He seemed to be predicting and favoring Umberger. He said that RJ is fast and should do well on that line. He had really hoped that Raffl would have been better there but it just didn’t work out.

I would much rather see Schenn on LW top line than Umberger.......

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
I found a more in-depth recap of last night's Flyers town hall meeting.

http://www.hockeyforums.net/index.php/topic/62679-flyers-sth-townhall-2014-recap/

Yep thats a great writeup. RJ playing on the top line is... Yea no really dont like that. Would honestly rather see if Raffl has improved but Schenn to play there.

Goes to show my thoughts on Laudisen were true. Seems the team thinks he is a dime a dozen player.

Hex doesnt think a young guy will make it. Berube seems to think Ghost or Laughton have a chance (well highly doubt Ghost with the logjam on defense again)

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Brayden has to be top LW and I would love Umby with Couts, but he will have to play with Vinny to protect him defensively.

Brayden-G-Jake
Akeson-Couts-Simmer
Umby-Vinny-Read

I know we hate to split up Couts and Read, but that should at least spread out the defense a bit at fwd.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
People who questioned my comment about Ryan O'Reilly it is really a joke. I don't expect him to be wearing a Flyers jersey anytime soon but he is one player who I wold love on this team.

Also, the people talking about the other teams in our division. Pittsburgh got better, Ernhoff is better than both Niksy and Orpik. They lost Neal but gained two players who can help out offensively but also play defense as well. They also don't take as many penalties as Neal does. Neal had 25 minors to Horny's 14. Similar to what the Flyers did with Hartnell. Biggest addition, they have a new coach. He is the wildcard but you see how every Pens fan reacted when Disco Dan was let go of. New coach brings new philosophies and I expect them to be better this year.

The New York Islanders- They improved majorly. They added Grabo and Kuli who will be a perfect third line or second line combo for them. Gives them a little more offensive depth as well. They didn't add a defender yet but it seems like Snow is hunting for one. They added Halak which is huge because they actually have a starting goalie. They might be the one team who improves the most this year. They lost JT to injury for some time last year as well, he will be fully healthy again. I think they have a chance at the playoffs, they just need to get rid of their dumb ass coach

New York Rangers- This is a tough one but they still are a great team for two reasons, elite goaltending and elite defense. Remember we were off to a horrible start but Lundy as well was dreadful in the beginning of the year. When he rebounded that team started to really come together. They lost Richards but he was being more detrimental than actually helping there. Nash can't be as bad as he was last year can he?? I don't think so.

New Jersey Devils- It's a shame we always right them off because they always make us look foolish. I have stopped saying they won't be in the playoff picture because they always seem to fight to get in. They are coached very well and they added a goal scorer. Contract aside, Cammy makes them a better team

Carolina-Meh as other have said, they are not a good team. They lack the depth to be a good team.

Columbus-They are just building upon the foundation and added a 20-30-50 guy with Hartnell. They will have Horton back next year as well, they could very well be a better team than us next season.

Washington Caps- They got better. They solidified their defense even if the contracts are terrible. Better coach now as well. Oates was arguably one of the worst in the league. Their defense is much improved now and they always are a threat with Ovie and Backstrom. If Holtby becomes what they want him to be, they have a legit shot at being a top seed in the east I believe.

I am not saying we will absolutely miss the playoffs, I feel like our chances went up more than they were last year though. I actually would be okay if we did though because the top end of this draft class will be special. If we can manage to squeeze into the top 10 or even the top 5, we will be set on defense and offense for the next 8-10 years. I believe our depth just isn't that great but improvements from our younger players hopefully make up for that. I think if we see Mason/Giroux/Couts go down for any elongated time period, we will be in some significant trouble.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
On another note, I am surprised we haven't made more of a fuss about Hexy saying they are trying to get another "role player" and about another player possibly going on waivers(Rosehill/Laurdisen).

My line up would be like this based off what they said

Umberger-Giroux-Voracek
Read-Couts-Akeson/Other role player Hexy mentioned
Raffl-Schenn-Simmonds
Bellamare-Vinny-Rinaldo

Vinny might not be a winger but I could see him slotting in as our 4th line center. When offense is needed he could move up to play wing on occasions.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Love what Hextall is saying, make moves that improve the team today AND tomorrow, not just to make a move.

Umberger actually makes sense in Hartnell's role, he's better defensively and a better skater, so he can balance out the line while they look for an upgrade the next couple years.

I like the idea of having the kids earn their way onto the team, but I also think there's some posturing, Hextall is getting pressured to dump Vinny, and wants to make it clear that he'll hold onto him if he doesn't get a decent offer, and let Laughton start at Allentown and hope that Vinny is healthy and some team antes up in October.

But again, nice to see a GM with patience.

The Hartnell comments were a little harsh, but true, and again that's a breath of fresh air. They know their weaknesses and are addressing them, they need speed and cap room - better to struggle scoring for a couple years than struggle getting the puck out of your defensive zone and watch the other team score.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Scott Hartnell-33
Rinaldo-29
Simmonds-28
Downie-25

I would like to see all those players off the team except one. We already have two gone, now just have one more. Those are the minor penalties they took also. Coburn came in next with 24

RJ8812*

Scott Hartnell-33
Rinaldo-29
Simmonds-28
Downie-25

I would like to see all those players off the team except one. We already have two gone, now just have one more. Those are the minor penalties they took also. Coburn came in next with 24

you want Simmonds off the team? :laugh:

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Flyers are going to be a middle of the pack team again. Last year though ,despite the slow start, the team was fairly healthy all year so they were able to compete. Berube was also able to get more consistency from the roster although not as much as we would have liked including from the coach who was questionable with roster decisions. Who knows how this year will go. We lose a key player(s) to a long term injury and it's curtains for the playoffs. I think they will be a cusp playoff team this year regardless ...which is fine. We have to be patient..just sucks that I'm not getting any younger.

BTW..I truly believe it was Hextall that convinced Holmgren last year not to sign Gagne despite all the howls from the Gagne fanboys on here. Luckily we didn't sign him and Raffl got a chance to prove himself. I'm glad Hextall has moved away from signing older players and the country club culture of ex Flyers coming back here to retire. In this league you can't have loyalties...has to be pure business like what they did with Hartnell...

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
NYI aren't a threat. Halak isn't going to carry a team on his own and he's going to get shredded behind that defense. Grabo helps them a lot, but they're still fatally flawed to the point where missing the playoffs should pretty much be expected. Washington too. Orpik and Niskanen help their D (Niskanen more than Orpik, Orpike is short-term help signed long term :laugh:) but they lost their other top 6 center...on a team with horrific center depth. They have like, 2 top 6 forwards right now. And they've spent the last year doing their best to trash the development of Holtby and Wilson. NYR took a step back, the Pens lost some D depth (possibly detrimental short term, but they do have a lot of D prospects) and shuffled the deck chairs at forward. The Division looks to remain the weaker one in the East overall.

I hate those comments about Umberger taking Hartnell's spot on the top line. Hartnell, for the first time in his tenure, looked to be blatantly holding his linemates back on offense for pretty much the whole year. I'd rather see Schenn there. Especially since they said they want Vinny at center, which means...what? That we either have Schenn as 4C, a 4.5mil 4C lacking the skillset generally hoped for in that position, or Couturier there which is a big step back in his development. If it's the plan to roll 4 lines, well, we flat out don't have the depth to attempt that.

Whatever, words are wind. We'll see how it actually plays out.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
If they're keeping VL -- moving LSchenn to wing and VL back to center makes sense.

I wonder if Umby being on the first line could make an ugly:

LSchenn-VL-RW line. Yeah, I hate that.

Pelle31

Apr 3, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Did any season ticket holders ask about Ryan o'Reilly??? That's the serious question here. I don't care that he belongs to another team or not.

Edit: I also like that he is preaching patience here. I have said it a couple of times I think next year is not going to go to well for us. We lost depth and our defense is basically the same. MacDonald played well but I could see us having trouble against our tough division. Almost every other team got better regardless of crappy contracts or not. This year might be a tough one.

It's been tough on the Flyers fans for the last 39 years not seeing a Flyer team raise the cup. As a fan, I'm all for building through the draft and not trading away young players for aging vets. If Snider can think that far back that's how his Flyers won their two cups was Keith Allen building through the draft and making trades at the right time to better the team. If the Flyers are going to miss the playoffs this upcoming season I hope they crap the bed so they can get a top 3 pick.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
Washington Caps- They got better. They solidified their defense even if the contracts are terrible. Better coach now as well. Oates was arguably one of the worst in the league. Their defense is much improved now and they always are a threat with Ovie and Backstrom. If Holtby becomes what they want him to be, they have a legit shot at being a top seed in the east I believe.

Whattttttttttt

Caps are awful

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Whattttttttttt

Caps are awful

There is absolutely no way a team with 2 top six forwards and nothing else, with a mediocre defense is going to beat out Montreal, Pittsburgh, or Boston for top seed in the East. There is literally no way the Caps do that. At best they might compete with the Islanders, or Devils for a PO spot.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Yeah I really don't see how you can say any team in the division took significant steps forward this offseason. Maybe the Isles but they were so far behind that it likely won't even matter.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
Flyers are going to be a middle of the pack team again. Last year though ,despite the slow start, the team was fairly healthy all year so they were able to compete. Berube was also able to get more consistency from the roster although not as much as we would have liked including from the coach who was questionable with roster decisions.

The Flyers are already one of the best offensive teams in the NHL. Team defense will likely get better as the players will have time during the offseason to practice Berube's system in order to more effectively implement it during the next regular season and beyond. There was a span of 20+ games last season in which the Flyers didn't play in a system--the mess with Laviolette and the scramble to acclimate to new coaching.

With guidance, Berube can be a decent coach. He does make terrible decisions, but his system is solid. A start would be releasing Rosehill and making Rinaldo a fixture on the AHL squad. Getting rid of extraneous pieces like Lecavalier and Grossman would do a lot of good as well.

The offseason's still young. Hextall has time to build a better team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad