Flyers Town Hall - 2/17/20

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Are these things actually like fun or interesting to be at?

I'm interested in going, but am lukewarm that it would be worth it TO go

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Probably not. There was a live link on the Flyers website to one I think two years ago that was posted on here & it was brutal. Just repetitive dumb questions. You could probably count on your hand the amount of good/thoughtful questions. Even then you’re getting part fluff by those answering the questions anyway.

I don’t know if there’s stuff beyond it that make it interesting but the Q&A from what I can gather isn’t really worth it at least.

Reactions: Striiker

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota

I've always found it interesting... but probably not for casual STMs... The Format changed later in Hextall's Tenure, taking some of the fun out of it... and now they have dissected it, taking the HeadCoach/Staff out, making a separate Event... I assume the Scouting portion is now gone... What's left, I'd assume will be more for the diehard STMs who care more about Venue matters... and probably GM decisions... Past Town Halls have been at the WFC; with this one at Xfinity for the first time, I'm not sure what to expect.

To sum it up... Homer's THMs were great fun, with some honest Answers... Hextall sapped much of the fun out... This one is Day One of a New Era, trimmed down version. Personally I'm not very hopeful for as much fun.

HTH/JMO

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Hakstol cutting a wrestling promo on the fans over MacDonald seems like really the only truly entertaining to ever come out of that thing.

Seems like that time in general got a little rowdy & then they put things in place to dial that back with the events going forward IIRC.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Probably not. There was a live link on the Flyers website to one I think two years ago that was posted on here & it was brutal. Just repetitive dumb questions. You could probably count on your hand the amount of good/thoughtful questions. Even then you’re getting part fluff by those answering the questions anyway.

I don’t know if there’s stuff beyond it that make it interesting but the Q&A from what I can gather isn’t really worth it at least.

That was Hextall's Hexification of it... not nearly as enjoyable as past ones.

Back at the beginning, they broke us up in Groups of similar STMs of like Tenure/Seating... We would move from station to station that were set up for Speakers--Chris Pryor had Video setups and handouts... the best stop--Scouting, Coaching, GM, Business, etc... Then they changed up where were were still in Groups, but the speakers came to us... slightly less good.. Ten Hextall changed it to all Attending STMs gathered near Center Ice Stands and groups of Speakers talked to us all at once... less individual Q&A with more personal feel, more more comfortable Questioners asking in auditorium type settings... less casual questioning from people. Homer at times was brutally honest... and it felt like what he said was more likely staying in house with STMs... Now it's like a NBCSPN production.

I'm not expecting much... but I'm hoping... I don't know what Fletcher will bring... but do know there probably won't be smaller Groupings.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Ask about the PP and Therriens messing with it. Mention how effective G on left and Ghost have been.

Did they know for sure about Patty before the Hayes deal

Reactions: Rebels57

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Hakstol cutting a wrestling promo on the fans over MacDonald seems like really the only truly entertaining to ever come out of that thing.

Seems like that time in general got a little rowdy & then they put things in place to dial that back with the events going forward IIRC.

I'm thinking it was just Hextall micromanaging the Event... changing it... and then his dismissal killed it for a year in the interim changeover at the end of last Season.

I remember Hakstol praising AMac for the way he handled his AHL demotion... but I don't recall a strong pushback... at least not in my Group.

I just can't brush off the Homer to Hexy changeover and THM reformatting as coincidental.

Reactions: LegionOfDoom91

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I'm thinking it was just Hextall micromanaging the Event... changing it... and then his dismissal killed it for a year in the interim changeover at the end of last Season.

I remember Hakstol praising AMac for the way he handled his AHL demotion... but I don't recall a strong pushback... at least not in my Group.

I just can't brush off the Homer to Hexy changeover and THM reformatting as coincidental.

Part of it is in that MacDonald parody video that’s been posted on here a lot over the years. IIRC it just happened in the one group as people on here & Twitter were saying it was or wasn’t in their group.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Part of it is in that MacDonald parody video that’s been posted on here a lot over the years. IIRC it just happened in the one group as people on here & Twitter were saying it was or wasn’t in their group.

Never saw it... that I can recall.

Thing is that under Homer, nothing was off the table, and honest Q&A was the norm... That seemed to disappear with Hextall.

Homer was brutally honest as GM, and probably said some things he shouldn't have... I remember once someone asked Homer about if it was possible to trade a NMC... he responded by, on his own, using Hartnell as an example, saying basically that you just let them know that they are not wanted, and they willingly waive their Clause (<<<greatly paraphrased there)... BTW, it wasn't really aimed at Hartnell; it was only an example... Hartnell stayed here until Hextall became disenchanted with him--actually alluded to at a later THM, when Hexy was easing in, or the Asst GM, I forget which--and traded/gave him away to Columbus for a bag of pucks to shed his Contract Length... but I digress.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
I have a two part question:

What was the results of your promised in depth investigation on the Kate Smith allegations?

Follow up question(s) being... Where are you keeping her statue held captive and, if you don't plan on reinstalling it in the Complex, why won't you sell it to Wildwood so it can be appreciated on the Boardwalk?

I hope the answer is nobody gives and shit and you are wasting everybody's time.

Reactions: Rebels57

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Why not? ... In past THMs STMs have rightfully asked about Printed Tickets vs Digital Entry... The Coaches have already had their On-Ice Merting, this is really for Off-Ice stuff... Player Acquisition, Arena Concers, Parking... and I believe Statuary... and casting off longstanding Traditions/People. Asking for Information on promised Investigation is not unreasonable in my opinion.

You clearly have an entrenched opinion about this. If they were to do a in depth investigation through the lenses of their entrenched opinion and decided that the racial issue made it too much of a issue to put her statue back up. Would you accept this? Would your opinions be so out of line with theirs that you would never be okay with the likely inevitable results? What would be the possible upside to you of an investigation?

At this point there is unlikely to be any amount of direct evidence that will cause them to shed their lenses and go back to the previous status quo. Your lenses dictates that there is enough evidence and that they should. Neither is empirically right or wrong. But you are on the losing side because you are on the side lacking decision making power. You can choose to accept this or not, but in the end it is futilely used energy.

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
Pointless asking about anything like the PP. You are just going to get a canned response.

I would ask the following

1. As the Phantoms look destined to miss the playoff again, while dressing one of the higher cap hit teams in the league, is anything going to be done to adress the coaching situation, which has looked evident to be the cause of the issues.

1b. If not, what are your thoughts on the phantoms implementing the same style and system as the flyers in order to prepare callups better?

2. Is it concerning that we have 2 highly touted goaltender prospects currently in the ECHL and not the AHL.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Pointless asking about anything like the PP. You are just going to get a canned response.

I would ask the following

1. As the Phantoms look destined to miss the playoff again, while dressing one of the higher cap hit teams in the league, is anything going to be done to adress the coaching situation, which has looked evident to be the cause of the issues.

1b. If not, what are your thoughts on the phantoms implementing the same style and system as the flyers in order to prepare callups better?

2. Is it concerning that we have 2 highly touted goaltender prospects currently in the ECHL and not the AHL.

I can give you the likely answers:

1. The Phantoms struggles are largely due to injuries -- injuries on the Flyers, which have required more callups -- as well as injuries on the Phantoms themselves.

The Phantoms also have a lot of players with zero to minimal professional experience, so there are going to be ups and downs as they grow.

Scott Gordon is a good coach with over 500 professional coaching wins, an AHL coach of the year award, and a .595 AHL points percentage. Coaching isn't the reason the Phantoms has struggled this season. Injuries, callups, and young players needing to gain experience are.

1b. As was reported this summer, AV met with Gordon before the season to go over the systems the Flyers would be using so that there would be some similarity for callups. Obviously coaches need some leeway for tweaks -- different situations arise -- so nothing is going to be exact, but those meetings have already taken place and our coaching staffs continue to speak to each other frequently.

2. Concerning? I look at it as a positive reflection of the depth we're building between the pipes in the organization. You're talking two young kids playing their first season in North America. They have to get used to things like different angles on-ice, and off-ice things like different languages and cultures, which is a major adjustment. I think if you look back at a lot of European goalies who come over at age 20 or 21, you'll see that many spent some time in the ECHL at first and benefited.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
You're right to an opinion doesn't mean it is a good or well thought out opinion.

Asking for the results of an investigation that the Flyers promised to do isn’t a well thought out thought or opinion? Asking why they won’t just sell the statue to a town that has said that they wanted the statue isn’t a well thought out thought?

I couldn’t care less about the matter but it’s a chance to ask the question and bring something up that the organization has tried to hide from and hope that it just disappears.

There is a hell of a lot more thought process behind that question than 90% of the drivel I’ll hear tonight. Shootout questions included.

Again, I don’t care about the matter in the slightest. It doesn’t effect my life one way or the other. I also laugh hysterically every time when Carchidi tries to say that that’s the reason for low attendance.

Last edited:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I have a two part question:

What was the results of your promised in depth investigation on the Kate Smith allegations?

Follow up question(s) being... Where are you keeping her statue held captive and, if you don't plan on reinstalling it in the Complex, why won't you sell it to Wildwood so it can be appreciated on the Boardwalk?

:facepalm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad