Flyers to open 19/20 season in Prague

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
You've got to laugh. I spend my entire life over here watching us open the season at 3am on the west coast and the one time they come to Europe i'm going to be in Western Canada.

Prague's an amazing city, you should all go if you haven't already.

mod edit:

=================
Flyers, Blackhawks to open 2019-20 season in Prague - Sportsnet.ca

Both Philadelphia and Chicago feature Czech players including Flyers star Jakub Voracek and Blackhawks standout rookie Dominik Kahun.

In early November of last year NHL commissioner Gary Bettman announced that the league would send clubs to play season-opening games in Prague and Stockholm, Sweden.

This announcement came on the heels of the NHL playing a regular-season game played between the New Jersey Devils and Edmonton Oilers in Gothenburg, Sweden, and just before the puck dropped on a tilt between the Florida Panthers and Winnipeg Jets in Helsinki, Finland.

The NHL saw great success in both contests, and is looking to build on that momentum in a different European nation next season when the Flyers and Blackhawks meet in Prague.

Last edited by a moderator:

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
I'm torn between excitement and concern as this is a great opportunity for me as Central European citizen to attend a game and it should provide a boost to the visibility of the NHL brand but noboy knows how that kind of travel actitivity will impact the teams involved. This Flyers team has a habit of starting slow every year and it's not like anyone was asking for any kind of additional distraction. Would be more balanced if all teams would have to play 1 game abroad.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
Can someone explain to me how the Flyers got swindled into giving up a home game and the Blackhawks didn’t? I’m pretty sure it’s standard procedure for it to be a home and home over there.

I can't wait to hear the explanation for this. I was thinking the same thing. It's two years in a row the Flyers have technically given up a home game now since they gave up the game for the Stadium Series this season.

Reactions: Lurch

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Neat! I wonder how they make these decisions? I would imagine it has something to do with the popularity of the teams in those countries?

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
I can't wait to hear the explanation for this. I was thinking the same thing. It's two years in a row the Flyers have technically given up a home game now since they gave up the game for the Stadium Series this season.

By "gave up the game" you mean "got to sell 3.5 times as many tickets for one game than they do for a normal home game" right?

I'm not sure how the revenue split works for the outdoor games, but I have a hard time believing the Flyers "gave up" much of anything with that.

Reactions: BernieParent

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
By "gave up the game" you mean "got to sell 3.5 times more tickets for one game than they do for a normal home game" right?

I'm not sure how the revenue split works for the outdoor games, but I have a hard time believing the Flyers "gave up" much of anything with that.

It's a league event else season ticket members wouldn't have had to buy a ticket to the game we would have been alloted a ticket based on our current arrangements.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
It's a league event else season ticket members wouldn't have had to buy a ticket to the game we would have been alloted a ticket based on our current arrangements.

Ah so it's a season ticket holder complaint, not a team revenue complaint. But I'm imagining at least that that was factored into the price of the other 40 games. I dunno, this to me would the annoying one. STH were given a guaranteed chance to buy Stadium Series tickets directly at retail price and I'm assuming all could afford to do that if they so chose, while a trip to Prague is a whole different story.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
What happens when -- if fan wishes come true and Fletcher actually tries to improves this team NOW -- they trade Voracek for a late 1st+B prospect and Gudas for a 2nd? And then have to go to Prague?

giphy.gif

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
What happens when -- if fan wishes come true and Fletcher actually tries to improves this team NOW -- they trade Voracek for a late 1st+B prospect and Gudas for a 2nd? And then have to go to Prague?

giphy.gif

I believe something similar happened when the Rangers came to Prague in 2008 (?) but Jágr went to Russia before the season. Or maybe I'm just misremembering things :laugh:

Anyway, I'm going. But I'm probably not bringing my erection (like my Euro colleagues above). Just a Jágr Flyers jersey

Reactions: RANKKA and Magua

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Sucks since they always seem to start slow, but hopefully an actual NHL coach changes this. Regardless, I am definitely going to Lausanne and Prague!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad