Flyers STH 'Chalk Talk' With Coaches (Feb. 22nd)

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
I submitted these... yes, I included @CanadianFlyer88's ones also because f*** 'em, that's why.

A real question that is neither disrespectful nor a "gotcha":

For years this team had tons of success with Giroux on the left boards, Voracek on the right boards, and Gostisbehere at the point, which saw them at 1st, 10th, and 14th in league-wide PP points over a three year sample. Since this current coaching staff has been hired, that exact setup has never been tried even once. Why not give something with a long track record of success a chance when the PP has regularly struggled and required constant changes over the past two years?

In the playoffs last year into the early going this year, there has been an apparent change in the depth of the forward support on the breakout. This has lead to more space between the forwards and defensemen and more difficult pass attempts when leaving the zone. Is this stylistic change permanent, or is there a plan to return to a more controlled exit strategy?

The team is near the top of the league in dump in percentage, despite having several high-quality transition players. With shot generation generally favoring controlled entries over dump ins by 50%, why is there a focus on attempting to regain possession, rather than using it as a secondary entry method?

I'd just try these 3, all for AV.

1) What did Claude Julien do or say to you that made you change from one of the most exciting 5 on 5 teams the Flyers have had in years to a boring, cowardly mess that has now spanned almost 30 consecutive games over two seasons?

2) Is Michel Therrien the greatest powerplay coach in the NHL today, or is he the greatest powerplay coach of all time?

3) Now that TK's confidence is in tatters, should he be healthy scratched indefinitely until his confidence comes back?

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
iu

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
Ask them why this team is phyiscally incapable of holding a lead against the Islanders.

Edit: If you want to phrase it like a question they might actually answer, just throw out the stats of every blown lead they've had against the islanders since 2019, and ask them why they think it continually happens.

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
I enjoyed the one that I got to go to. There was no screening of questions, so people were asking Hextall and Berube some relatively tough ones. Although not a great question, one of the most memorable interactions was:

"If Lecavalier retires, do we get his whole cap hit back?"
Hextall: "Yes, his cap hit would completely go away."
"So, shouldn't you be pushing for that?"

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
I enjoyed the one that I got to go to. There was no screening of questions, so people were asking Hextall and Berube some relatively tough ones. Although not a great question, one of the most memorable interactions was:

"If Lecavalier retires, do we get his whole cap hit back?"
Hextall: "Yes, his cap hit would completely go away."
"So, shouldn't you be pushing for that?"

There was actually a lot of tension at the one I went to when someone mentioned the untouchables to Hak and he got super super defensive about it.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
For those who take Friedman seriously, here's AMAC's 3 game cameo with the Islanders:
CF 52.09, xGF 56.07%
Unfortunately, once he played full-time, he never approached those metrics again.
In fact, he never had a xGF>50% except for 28 games in 2015-16.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad