Confirmed with Link: Flyers Sign Ivan Fedotov To One Year Deal (May 2022); May 2023 update: could return to CSKA per reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

PDX Flyer

Lost in the Woods
Nov 13, 2019
Michkov and his entire family including extended (so Putin doesn't, you know, have them fall out any open windows) should fly to USA for the Draft and they should then never return to Russia. f*** them, and f*** the KHL contract.
This seems an extremely insensitive comment considering the circumstances surrounding his Fathers death.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Oh..you better know Beef is the locomotiv engineer of a Russian armoured train somewhere behind the Volga River near Stalingrad late 1942, early 1943, guns a blazing …..Paulus and the German 6th Army don’t know what hit them…

Nah, just your cat…

Nay sir, the filthy Whites won't know what hit them. Nor will the people on my side either. We are kinda killing and stealing everything in sight.

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
My cat recently passed away at the tender age of 19, however he didn't look like Vasilevskiy's cat on the pic, he was a half Siamese half Russian Blue, unfortunately can't find a pic of him now.
Sorry about your cat. Crash is 18 years old, a little slower, but healthwise doing pretty good.

PDX Flyer

Lost in the Woods
Nov 13, 2019
Wasn't even thinking of that at the time, but to be honest it's even more reason for the family to come over here and never go know considering the deaths
I hear you. I hope it was an accident and that poor kid isn’t getting pressured. As you alluded to, current events might suggest the latter though.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Isnt it ironic all those Soviet defectors are back in Russia? Even in todays political climate, Larionov, Mogilny, Fedorov, Fetisov are all choosing Russia/KHL over the US and Canada.
Those westernized dudes would be the first people outta Russia if things were as bad as North Americans pretend they are.

And Michkov would be disgusted if he knew what N.A hockey media is saying about his dad. A horrible tragedy is being twisted to propagate an agenda and/or get clicks.

Yes Russia is the boogeyman nowadays, but try to use some common sense. Putin isnt sitting around his war room thinking about hockey players, nor will any ever be sent to Ukraine. Just the thought is preposterous.
Nor does Fedotov’s situation reflect the whole of the KHL. Like someone said earlier, it’s like blaming other NHL teams for Chicago’s sexual abuse misconducts.

Good lord, enough of the fear-mongering, xenophobia and melodramatics.

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Isnt it ironic all those Soviet defectors are back in Russia? Even in todays political climate, Larionov, Mogilny, Fedorov, Fetisov are all choosing Russia/KHL over the US and Canada.
Those westernized dudes would be the first people outta Russia if things were as bad as North Americans pretend they are.

And Michkov would be disgusted if he knew what N.A hockey media is saying about his dad. A horrible tragedy is being twisted to propagate an agenda and/or get clicks.

Yes Russia is the boogeyman nowadays, but try to use some common sense. Putin isnt sitting around his war room thinking about hockey players, nor will any ever be sent to Ukraine. Just the thought is preposterous.
Nor does Fedotov’s situation reflect the whole of the KHL. Like someone said earlier, it’s like blaming other NHL teams for Chicago’s sexual abuse misconducts.

I agree with that, Putin is desperate to maintain an aura of "normalcy," as he escalates the war effort. This is why conscription has centered around remote regions and ethnic minorities, and why any news about the "police action" has been vigorously suppressed. Russia is using its currency reserves to maintain consumer spending, but the decline in oil prices (support EVs and renewable energy and reduce the flow of petrodollars to assholes) and in natural gas sales limits how long this can be sustained.

But it would be hard to hide the deaths of star players and it would draw a lot more attention to the war. So having the KHL carry on as "business as usual" is probably part of the "normalcy" strategy. But Putin may not want emerging young stars to come to NA out of pique with Western sanctions, whereas blocking established NHL stars would be more problematic.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

You aren't up on current events? You seem very badly informed.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
I agree with that, Putin is desperate to maintain an aura of "normalcy," as he escalates the war effort. This is why conscription has centered around remote regions and ethnic minorities, and why any news about the "police action" has been vigorously suppressed. Russia is using its currency reserves to maintain consumer spending, but the decline in oil prices (support EVs and renewable energy and reduce the flow of petrodollars to assholes) and in natural gas sales limits how long this can be sustained.

But it would be hard to hide the deaths of star players and it would draw a lot more attention to the war. So having the KHL carry on as "business as usual" is probably part of the "normalcy" strategy. But Putin may not want emerging young stars to come to NA out of pique with Western sanctions, whereas blocking established NHL stars would be more problematic.

Nice post, very astute.

You're correct in that authorities are trying to maintain an aura of normalcy. Walk around any major city.....it's like war isn't even happening. Shit, the KHL just set playoff attendance record.

Russia is like most places in that the underclass are sent to die. But keep in mind the dudes currently mobilized are the equivalent of your military reserves. These are guys who've already done their conscription service. There are still hundreds of thousands of these guys that haven't been called up. We're a long, long ways away from sending hockey players.
Not a single player has fought in any war since WW2; and if we get to even a fraction of that it will probably be WW3 anyhow.

As for preventing young players from leaving? I could see it, eventually. However it would likely take the form of additional barriers to get to North America.
The most recent floated idea is forcing young guys to pay back their development costs to their hockey school before they can leave. Doing as such would be in the contracts they (or their parents) sign at a young age.

But all this fear-mongering about governments threatening and killing player's relatives, sending KHLers to Ukraine, etc. is stuff of movies. What's next, Boris Badenov kidnaps Michkov?

I mean the most serious threats players have faced thus far has occured in N.A. The NHL has needed to provide extra security for Russians because they and their families have been receiving death threats due to the anger from Ukraine invasion.

Last edited:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Nice post, very astute.

You're correct in that authorities are trying to maintain an aura of normalcy. Walk around any major city.....it's like war isn't even happening. Shit, the KHL just set playoff attendance record.

Russia is like most places in that the underclass are sent to die. But keep in mind the dudes currently mobilized are the equivalent of your military reserves. These are guys who've already done their conscription service. There are still hundreds of thousands of these guys that haven't been called up. We're a long, long ways away from sending hockey players.
Not a single player has fought in any war since WW2; and if we get to even a fraction of that it will probably be WW3 anyhow.

As for preventing young players from leaving? I could see it, eventually. However it would likely take the form of additional barriers to get to North America.
The most recent floated idea is forcing young guys to pay back their development costs to their hockey school before they can leave. Doing as such would be in the contracts they (or their parents) sign at a young age.

But all this fear-mongering about governments threatening and killing player's relatives, sending KHLers to Ukraine, etc. is stuff of movies. What's next, Boris Badenov kidnaps Michkov?

I mean the most serious threats players have faced thus far has occured in N.A. The NHL has needed to provide extra security for Russians because they and their families have been receiving death threats due to the anger from Ukraine invasion.

But you're proving my point here as to why it's so insanely unlikely that Fedotov would be targeted like this unless it's a deliberate leverage point to keep him in the KHL

Reactions: Rebels57

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
But you're proving my point here as to why it's so insanely unlikely that Fedotov would be targeted like this unless it's a deliberate leverage point to keep him in the KHL

It's more likely a personal dispute with Esmantovich that goes beyond just wanting to leave for the NHL. Keep in mind, other than Fedotov, CSKA's current leadership has no history of preventing players from leaving. Coach Sergei Fedorov is even on record giving NHL-friendly advice to CSKA youngsters.

So it's realistically one of 2 things:
1. Fedotov seriously angered Esmantovich. He probably gave him his word he'd re-sign with CSKA then reneged and signed with Philly. In retaliation Esmantovich notified conscription office that Fedotov had no deferement.
Either way Fedotov is an abject idiot for not getting a deferment himself and relying on CSKA to make officers look the other way. He'd be in the NHL if he did.

2. It's also been reported that Fedotov was implicated in the scandal with corrupt officer in Ufa who was selling fake military ID's. Several other players were arrested and fined. But unlike them, Fedotov's fake ID might be current.

The situation is such an outlier it's almost a given that there's more to it than him just innately signing an NHL contract.
I mean not long ago the senior head of CSKA (Sechin) said he does not want Fedotov on the team.

Last edited:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
It's more likely a personal dispute with Esmantovich that goes beyond just wanting to leave for the NHL. Keep in mind, other than Fedotov, CSKA's current leadership has no history of preventing players from leaving. Coach Sergei Fedorov is even on record giving NHL-friendly advice to CSKA youngsters.

So it's realistically one of 2 things:
1. Fedotov seriously angered Esmantovich. He probably gave him his word he'd re-sign with CSKA then reneged and signed with Philly. In retaliation Esmantovich notified conscription office that Fedotov had no deferement.
Either way Fedotov is an abject idiot for not getting a deferment himself and relying on CSKA to make officers look the other way. He'd be in the NHL if he did.

2. It's also been reported that Fedotov was implicated in the scandal with corrupt officer in Ufa who was selling fake military ID's. Several other players were arrested and fined. But unlike them, Fedotov's fake ID might be current.

The situation is such an outlier it's almost a given that there's more to it than him just innately signing an NHL contract.
I mean not long ago the senior head of CSKA (Sechin) said he does not want Fedotov on the team.

Nah, I don't see why Fedotov should be blamed for being targeted for revenge by such an insanely corrupt system.

swami24

Jul 24, 2020
It is called thinking ahead. What are your risks for getting what you want. Avoid them. It would have taking on a possible worst case scenario, and planning to avoid it. At the time, he never considered this option, which is excusable, but has messed everything up for him in hind sight.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Nah, I don't see why Fedotov should be blamed for being targeted for revenge by such an insanely corrupt system.

I have no sympathy for him.

He's was living in a bubble of luxury and privilege but was too stupid to even think of doing something reasonably responsible like getting a freakin' deferment. Its not that difficult.

Even so, his conscription service is largely playing hockey on some Navy team in St. Petersburgh. lol
Like I said, privileged hockey players arent gonna be asked to do anything difficult.

Crimea river.

Last edited:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I have no sympathy for him.

He's was living in a bubble of luxury and privilege but was too stupid to even think of doing something reasonably responsible like getting a freakin' deferment. Its not that difficult.

Even so, his conscription service is largely playing hockey on some Navy team in St. Petersburgh. lol
Like I said, privileged hockey players arent gonna be asked to do anything difficult.

Crimea river.

He's definitely not the only person in this situation. The rest are being ignored. Dude has had an NHL career taken from him out of spite, by someone far wealthier than him while others who are far wealthier slip by.

Reactions: Rebels57

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Well nobody at all is arguing that closing strawman, that's for sure. Don't know why you'd make that up.

But yes. Let us avoid discussing the wider international picture and keep political talk strictly to the situation as it directly impacts Fedotov.

Millenia-old titanic struggle between east and west? Beyond the scope here. The current domestic policies directly related to Fedotov? Sure.

Reactions: kudymen

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Folks, there’s lines between the situation of the player and how it relates politically, and actual politics and we don’t want to cross ‘em

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad