Confirmed with Link: Flyers sign (D) Michael Del Zotto to a one-year contract ($1.3M per TSN)

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Pretty interesting comments by Hextall on him:

We look at a young player like Michael Del Zotto coming into the NHL at his age. He has a lot of money. He’s got fame, he’s got people wanting to spend time with him and thinking he’s a big deal. Any 20-21-22- or 23-year-old, it’s pretty easy to get off the rails. I think that is what happened to him. I think in two years, he will look back and say, 'It was the best thing that ever happened to me. I regained my focus and what is important.'

'Everyone at that stage of life, we didn't all have the fame and money and everything else. Sometimes we don't spend enough time teaching young people what is right and wrong and how not to get off track. That's why you see a lot of teams with development coaches. That's part of their job. Grab the kids when they are 18 years old and teach them what it is to be a pro and what the expectations are and expedite the process. ... You go from being a junior hockey player playing in front of 3,000 people and riding a bus to playing at Madison Square Garden or Wells Fargo in front of 19,000 people. You’re in the NHL, in front of Hockey Night in Canada. It’s ... national TV. It’s a big adjustment for any kid in any walk of life. It’s a lot tougher than people think. These young people have to grow up in a hurry.'

Surprised Hextall actually said that about him.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Pretty interesting comments by Hextall on him:

We look at a young player like Michael Del Zotto coming into the NHL at his age. He has a lot of money. He’s got fame, he’s got people wanting to spend time with him and thinking he’s a big deal. Any 20-21-22- or 23-year-old, it’s pretty easy to get off the rails. I think that is what happened to him. I think in two years, he will look back and say, 'It was the best thing that ever happened to me. I regained my focus and what is important.'

'Everyone at that stage of life, we didn't all have the fame and money and everything else. Sometimes we don't spend enough time teaching young people what is right and wrong and how not to get off track. That's why you see a lot of teams with development coaches. That's part of their job. Grab the kids when they are 18 years old and teach them what it is to be a pro and what the expectations are and expedite the process. ... You go from being a junior hockey player playing in front of 3,000 people and riding a bus to playing at Madison Square Garden or Wells Fargo in front of 19,000 people. You’re in the NHL, in front of Hockey Night in Canada. It’s ... national TV. It’s a big adjustment for any kid in any walk of life. It’s a lot tougher than people think. These young people have to grow up in a hurry.'

Surprised Hextall actually said that about him.

Trying to read between the lines here, but is he saying MDZ had some off-ice issues that hindered his ability on the ice? Or is he just talking in general about "distractions" that young players face?

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Trying to read between the lines here, but is he saying MDZ had some off-ice issues that hindered his ability on the ice? Or is he just talking in general about "distractions" that young players face?

I think it is more in general that young players acclimatisation to the NHL is tough, and wide range of distractions both external and internal can affect them...

but he pretty much says that Del Zotto (he mentions Mason as well as an example) has been affected at some point by some of that, and that is not particularly something to hold against them or their fault so long as they learn from it and become 'pros', instead of them thinking they have made it after a good season as a young kid and never achieving what they have the ability to do in the game.

I don't think his 'off the rails' comments refer to crazy drinking or lack of conditioning or anything, more of a mindset of younger players in the NHL and not to get distracted... be those distractions external or internal.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
Man, I really hope this guys rebounds here not only because it would be great for us, but it would surely piss Rangers' fans off. :nod:

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
There is Michael Del Zotto the hockey player, Michael Del Zotto the wannabe star and how HF boarders see the world, which isn't always pretty, but last but not least there is also a real person behind the scenes and that story definitely show us a different facette of the picture...

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia
It seemed like there was a large group of people last year that were enjoying MDZ's downfall, which, yeah, that's just human nature. I get it. But after hearing this story I don't know how you can't help but root for the guy. Hopefully he gets his career back on track with us.

FlyersFanz

aut viam inveniam au
Jan 26, 2010
BlkVanOutsideUrHouse
It seemed like there was a large group of people last year that were enjoying MDZ's downfall, which, yeah, that's just human nature. I get it. But after hearing this story I don't know how you can't help but root for the guy. Hopefully he gets his career back on track with us.

I agree, hopefully he does well and Flyers can sign him for 3 or 4 years and get a decent Dman out of him, he definitely has potential, is young and has decent speed.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I agree, hopefully he does well and Flyers can sign him for 3 or 4 years and get a decent Dman out of him, he definitely has potential, is young and has decent speed.

The great thing with MDZ is the no risk factor.

If he plays poorly, we don't quality him.

If he plays good, we do qualify him AND he is a RFA so we control him still.

Him being a RFA next year is huge for us. It would suck if he had a great year for us THEN left as a UFA. At least this way, if he plays well, we still got him AND he should be grateful we gave him a shot.

He also knows that different coaches and teams can effect his play...in a bad way. So if he has success here, he should want to stay for awhile.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
MDZ really seems like a great guy... I like him already and wish him success throughout his career, no matter where he goes.

What a sweet kid there... he looks like he is taking the hand he was dealt and playing it with class and honor. I wish him and his wonderful family the best going forward. :yo:

Girouxtiful

Jul 17, 2012
Great story - gotta root for the guy. There's another video where they sent the same kid down to Nashville last year and he hangs out with him. Just excited about the no-risk factor - the guy has so much upside. Would be really great to have him long term.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
His best fit might be Schenn, though.

Coburn's fit is more important, given that in a perfect world, Coburn would be the only defenseman on the NHL roster who is still on the team next season. Unless of course Del Zotto is used properly and excels.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
After the season he had despite being burdened with Grossmann and his proven excellence at running a top PP unit, I'm in no hurry to lose Streit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad