Confirmed with Link: Flyers sign (D) Michael Del Zotto to a one-year contract ($1.3M per TSN)

OriginJM

matt stromes skating coach
Feb 4, 2010
Hockey Buzz Eklund ‏@Eklund 1m
Del Zotto to Philly looks very close per a few courses.

Tim Panaccio ‏@tpanotchCSN 2m
there are some older, veteran d-men out there and there is also young Del Zotto, which Flyers have had some interest in

Bill Meltzer ‏@billmeltzer 2m
Team wants a vet and prefers not to put added pressure on its prospect D.

thoughts?

----------------------

MOD EDIT:

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=727870

The Philadelphia Flyers have agreed to terms with free agent defenseman The Philadelphia Flyers have agreed to terms with free agent defenseman Michael Del Zotto on a one-year contract, according to general manager Ron Hextall.
Del Zotto recorded 16 points (3g-13a) and 18 penalty minutes in 67 regular season games this past season, which he split with the New York Rangers and Nashville Predators. He was traded by the Rangers on Jan. 22 to the Predators, where he posted five points (1g-4a) in 25 games.
on a one-year contract, according to general manager Ron Hextall.

Del Zotto recorded 16 points (3g-13a) and 18 penalty minutes in 67 regular season games this past season, which he split with the New York Rangers and Nashville Predators. He was traded by the Rangers on Jan. 22 to the Predators, where he posted five points (1g-4a) in 25 games.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Several people have asked if Michael Del Zotto will be a restricted or unrestricted free agent next summer. The 24-year-old defenseman became a UFA this summer when the Nashville Predators declined to present him a qualifying offer. The same situation would apply with the Flyers next summer. If the team makes a qualifying offer, he will be a restricted free agent. Otherwise, he would become a UFA again. For both the player's sake and the team's, the best case scenario would be if Del Zotto plays well enough next season to make a contract extension a no-brainer.

Source: Bill Meltzer...http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-Meltzer/Meltzers-Musings-Thursday-Quick-Hits/45/61678

Last edited by a moderator:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I don't mind if they sign another dman to compete for the #6 spot at camp with Alt, especially if it's for around $1 million. The more competition the better.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
The remaining UFA list is like burnt hair on top of a fresh turd - pretty unappealing. Del Zotto is probably the best of the bunch and probably has the best chance of getting back his game. McBain's only bonus is that he's a right handed shot and then the rest of the guys are pretty much scrap heap/over the hill guys. If the Flyers are running with a top four of:

Stret - Coburn
MacDonald - Schenn

then maybe a third pairing of Grossmann - Alt is the way to go.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
No. The guy was pretty bad even while playing with two of the best defensive units in the entire NHL. Just imagine what he'll look like with a below average group.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
No. The guy was pretty bad even while playing with two of the best defensive units in the entire NHL. Just imagine what he'll look like with a below average group.

Signing Del Zotto means that the younger players aren't ready and that the Flyers are probably going into "tank" mode, even though they won't admit it. Who knows though. Maybe Del Zotto sees this as his last opportunity, shows up at camp in the best shape of his life and goes on to put the entire package together. Certainly no harm in signing him and if he bombs, you walk away a year later. No harm, no foul.

FlyersFanz

aut viam inveniam au
Jan 26, 2010
BlkVanOutsideUrHouse
MDZ is still young at 24yrs old and could turn his game around plus it could give him a chip on his shoulder and he ends up playing well. If its a 1yr deal I say go for it.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Signing Del Zotto means that the younger players aren't ready and that the Flyers are probably going into "tank" mode, even though they won't admit it. Who knows though. Maybe Del Zotto sees this as his last opportunity, shows up at camp in the best shape of his life and goes on to put the entire package together. Certainly no harm in signing him and if he bombs, you walk away a year later. No harm, no foul.

The Flyers are not going into tank mode because they lost one bottom three defenseman. Maybe MDZ turns it around knowing this is his last shot. Probably not, but maybe. I'd rather just stay away from him and let the spot stay open for grabs for one of the young guys. It's not like MDZ won't still be out there in a month if no one can step up and grab the spot in camp.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
While I would rather let a kid get the chance, MDZ wouldn't be the worst signing. Unless Ghost is the guy, we have a massive hole on PP2, and MDZ would actually do well there.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Is it possible to give him a tryout at camp so we can at least see if one of the prospects are a better option?

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The Flyers are not going into tank mode because they lost one bottom three defenseman. Maybe MDZ turns it around knowing this is his last shot. Probably not, but maybe. I'd rather just stay away from him and let the spot stay open for grabs for one of the young guys. It's not like MDZ won't still be out there in a month if no one can step up and grab the spot in camp.

I honestly see MDZ on equal footing with the younger players coming into camp if he is indeed signed. I don't think he'll be a roadblock since he has a ton to prove as well at this point in his career. I just see it as adding another body to the mix in hopes of catching lightning in a bottle.

peedicrakk

Apr 13, 2014
ARDMORE, PA

With the Hartnell trade and Timonen's injury, they're definitely not an improved team from last season. I wouldn't go as far as saying they're tanking but they're certainly not rushing anything or desperately trying to improve the team this season (not saying that's a bad thing cause it's the right move, IMO).
And assuming MDZ will just be sitting around in a month is a pretty bad plan. What if another team has an injury on defense in that time and signs him? If you're going to sign him you do it now when there are no other suitors, if you want to see how it plays out in camp then you take the risk of him not being available later. Then you're stuck with what you got or Derek Morris.....ew, even typing that made me feel sick.

Moondog47

Feb 5, 2014
With Hextall seemingly set on developing the young D-men at proper pace, a FA defenseman seems the path to go. If choosing between Morris, MDZ and McBain I choose MDZ because I feel he has the most upside and if playing well has a better chance to bring what the Flyers defense needs, skating and puck moving.

Coffe

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2010
Stockholm
The only benefit about Timonen is that it wasn't a multi year contract he signed. Not sure how the 35+ rule applies to one year deals though....

It doesn't. 35+ rule only applies to multi-year deals.

Slim pickens on the UFA market listed - I'd rather look for a replacement in-house.

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
While I would rather let a kid get the chance, MDZ wouldn't be the worst signing. Unless Ghost is the guy, we have a massive hole on PP2, and MDZ would actually do well there.

Pretty much how I feel. I don't see the Flyers as a Cup Contender in 2014 unless we catch some serious breaks. At least MDZ represents a reasonable reclamation project. He was more than decent in 2012 and is still quite young.

As for a young guy, Hextall (and rightfully so imo) has said that he is fine with a young player proving he is ready and forcing his way in, but he does not want to pencil them in for minutes as an expectation.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I don't think Kimmo will retire because that would cost him $2 million.

But I think him being on LTIR as well as Pronger doesn't really matter. They will just have to use Option 2 and have an even higher upper limit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad