Confirmed with Link: Flyers sign (D) Michael Del Zotto to a one-year contract ($1.3M per TSN)

south jersey flyer

Jun 2, 2010
Lumberton, NJ
MDZ- Coburn
Grossman-Streit
MacDonald-Schenn

I like this defense - I'm not as down on it as others seem to be. It's lacking elite talent, but is otherwise balanced. It's also nice having Alt and Hagg waiting to get called up in case of injury. I'm expecting a real nice year from Michael del Zotto, especially if he can make an impact on the 2nd PP unit.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I think the whipping boys on defense will be MDZ and MacDonald. I am expecting around the same from MDZ that he has produced the last few years. In other words, I have a feeling we won't be liking the signing by January. I hope I am wrong though!

Alchemy

Mind Control
Jul 8, 2006
I think the whipping boys on defense will be MDZ and MacDonald. I am expecting around the same from MDZ that he has produced the last few years. In other words, I have a feeling we won't be liking the signing by January. I hope I am wrong though!

I see MacDonald as the whipping boy. Just the way the off-season is setting up. I think GKJ will lead the club. (No hate GKJ;))

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
:shakehead Obviously you need it spelled out for you.

Tryout contract = do whatever it takes to make the team

Guaranteed contract = be careful in preseason, play hard in regular season.

If you disagree with that, you're dense.

I do disagree with it. Dense people ignore context.

Tryout contract = do whatever it takes to make the team

Guaranteed contract = do whatever it takes to show you're not the soft jabroni that got lobbed out of two NHL cities

End result: Don't be a wuss MDZ. Also, be a leader when the prospects are around and take a hit to make the play. Be tough. Show you still belong in the NHL.

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
It's not worth taking a hit from behind in a meaningless preseason game to show you're tough. Thats just stupid.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
It's not worth taking a hit from behind in a meaningless preseason game to show you're tough. Thats just stupid.

The guy is trying to rebuild his image. Remember this when he does the seem move out of habit in the regular season.

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
The guy is trying to rebuild his image. Remember this when he does the seem move out of habit in the regular season.

Then he can try and break the habit in the season. If he tries to act tough in the preseason and gets hurt he could find himself without a job next year more likely than not. At least this way he's guarenteeing he has a chance to play some actual games to prove his worth in the NHL.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Then he can try and break the habit in the season. If he tries to act tough in the preseason and gets hurt he could find himself without a job next year more likely than not. At least this way he's guarenteeing he has a chance to play some actual games to prove his worth in the NHL.

Sure, but runs the risk of making a bad early impression with the staff, becoming a 7th defenseman, getting replaced by a D in the pipeline. Still, doubtful, but I see your point.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
And I've seen some irrational nonsense from you about MDZ in this thread.

That comment coming from a snarky and dry guy like yourself is so standard it is impossible to be offended by it. :laugh:

Regular season isn't far away, so we'll see if he continues this trend:

(edit: I suppose I'm not supposed to quote directly other boards so I'll remove it and put the main points):

Criticism from Rangers fan: Doesn't play Flyers hockey. Very soft. Rear view mirror on helmet because always running away from hits. Misses the net. Defensively bad. Decent outlet pass, but not great.

So, this shying away behavior isn't atypical for him. Talk to some Ranger fans. Some will have this opinion about him -- others won't. Induction isn't a perfect form of reasoning, but there is nothing irrational about him already shying away from contact in the corners at minimum giving a fan some pause. This is a guy who has had those listed criticisms above and wasn't even offered a contract in this league until an injury happened.

Last edited:

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
That comment coming from a snarky and dry guy like yourself is so standard it is impossible to be offended by it. :laugh:

Regular season isn't far away, so we'll see if he continues this trend:

(edit: I suppose I'm not supposed to quote directly other boards so I'll remove it and put the main points):

Criticism from Rangers fan: Doesn't play Flyers hockey. Very soft. Rear view mirror on helmet because always running away from hits. Misses the net. Defensively bad. Decent outlet pass, but not great.

So, this shying away behavior isn't atypical for him. Talk to some Ranger fans. Some will have this opinion about him -- others won't. Induction isn't a perfect form of reasoning, but there is nothing irrational about him already shying away from contact in the corners at minimum giving a fan some pause. This is a guy who has had those listed criticisms above and wasn't even offered a contract in this league until an injury happened.

Several issues. First, who gives a crap what Ranger fans say? That's as irrelevant as what Flyer fans say about our players. Second, he said he did have interest and contract offers, just none from teams he wanted to play for. He was waiting for the right opportunity, had been talking to Hexy all along, and signed before the news of Kimmo's injury was made public - and didn't try to hold the Flyers over the barrel on price, clearly.

If you've watched any of the preseason, you can tell he has a great breakout pass, very consistent, quick and accurate - when the players are good enough to take them. He can skate the puck, join the rush, etc. His D is solid too. He's not getting beat easily, he's taking the man, even being a bit nasty at times. He's also older and stronger now, at 25 than he was as an early, scrawny Ranger.

Offensive Dmen don't need to absorb extra punishment for no reason any time. Kimmo and Streit don't. They dodge out of the way too.

You're trying to make a case, based on ONE play. It's not enough evidence compared to all the other plays he's made that are the opposite. In that case, a useless Leaf goon was headhunting and he smartly said, sorry, not taking this one in the preseason. In the regular season Orr's 4 minutes/game won't result in many similar opportunities.

Edit: Maybe it would have been better if Couts had bailed out on Orr's headhunting too, or would it be better to have two players on IR?

Last edited:

HighOFFHockey

Co-Founder of The Flyers Nitty Gritty
Aug 24, 2008
Philadelphia
flyersnittygritty.com
I like the pairings, just not sure I want mdz logging so many minutes every night. I would swap him with AMac.

This probably won't happen unless MDZ shows he can be a shutdown man. Coburn will be paired with someone who can compliment him in a shutdown role. Every team needs a pair that can go up against the top lines in the league. Amac and coburn are our best defensive defenseman. Most likely it will be schenn and MDZ and coburn amac.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
It's only preseason, but so far he's looked like absolute crap. Nowhere near NHL level, him and Schultz were the worst defensemen on the team by far (if we excuse Getlostisbehere for that stinker of a game he had against the Caps). Unless he rebounds, I don't want to see this guy anywhere near the starting lineup. We've got other options.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
It's only preseason, but so far he's looked like absolute crap.

I completely disagree, he had one tough game but i dont think he has looked like crap. In that game he had a couple of nice plays.

richter4ever

Jul 7, 2014
New Hartford N.Y.
Part of Bill Meltzers column on Hockeybuzz. "Something else to consider: Many of the Flyers' veteran defensemen have had mediocre preseasons. This includes new acquisitions Michael Del Zotto and Nick Schultz.

Truth be told, if there were no salary cap and development considerations to be weighed, Gostisbehere has markedly outplayed offseason free agent Del Zotto (his closest counterpart on the roster in terms of skill set and role) during camp. Gostisbehere will go to the AHL to work on adjusting his play away from the puck from the college game to the pro level. Offensively, it is quite obvious he is NHL ready.

Morin has had a good training camp and preseason but his inexperience has also been obvious at times. While he is a different type of player than Del Zotto, if Morin enters the season on the NHL roster, it may push Del Zotto to the scratch list for awhile." Not even the regular season yet and they're already thinking of scratching this guy. Thank the hockey gods that the Rangers got rid of him.

Last edited:

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Several issues. First, who gives a crap what Ranger fans say? That's as irrelevant as what Flyer fans say about our players. Second, he said he did have interest and contract offers, just none from teams he wanted to play for. He was waiting for the right opportunity, had been talking to Hexy all along, and signed before the news of Kimmo's injury was made public - and didn't try to hold the Flyers over the barrel on price, clearly.

If you've watched any of the preseason, you can tell he has a great breakout pass, very consistent, quick and accurate - when the players are good enough to take them. He can skate the puck, join the rush, etc. His D is solid too. He's not getting beat easily, he's taking the man, even being a bit nasty at times. He's also older and stronger now, at 25 than he was as an early, scrawny Ranger.

Offensive Dmen don't need to absorb extra punishment for no reason any time. Kimmo and Streit don't. They dodge out of the way too.

You're trying to make a case, based on ONE play. It's not enough evidence compared to all the other plays he's made that are the opposite. In that case, a useless Leaf goon was headhunting and he smartly said, sorry, not taking this one in the preseason. In the regular season Orr's 4 minutes/game won't result in many similar opportunities.

Edit: Maybe it would have been better if Couts had bailed out on Orr's headhunting too, or would it be better to have two players on IR?

Dude....as Meltzer pointed out today per richter4ever....Del Zotto has underperformed and looked very shaky thus far. Ghost and Morin have showed him up. For all that "born again" talk that Del Zotto spouted in the offseason...he still looks like a liability out there. Dude may be scratched already. I'd rather have Rob Zettler or Stewart Malgunas come out of retirement from what I've seen of MDZ....

Ad

Upcoming events

• Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $9,251.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Torino vs Bologna
    Torino vs Bologna
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,430.00