Confirmed with Link: Flyers Sign Christian Folin to one-year contract, $800K

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
You can't just go into the season expecting all of our young defenseman to be ready, especially if they haven't yet established themselves at the NHL level. Sanheim and/or Myers could **** the bed during training camp, or we could experience some injuries. You also need to create some competition, which brings out the best in people.

This is a smart signing by Hextall.
Myers will get hurt putting his skates on LOL.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
I do wonder if Friedman is "not ready" at this point, does that mean he is ultimately just "not good enough"? No sarcasm (for once), just wondering how much development or potential is left there to be tapped into and brought out.

I think this year is Friedman’s chance to show he has NHL upside. If he puts in a good year with the Phantoms, then we’ll see.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I do wonder if Friedman is "not ready" at this point, does that mean he is ultimately just "not good enough"? No sarcasm (for once), just wondering how much development or potential is left there to be tapped into and brought out.

He was a very good college defenseman, stocky, good skater, good offensive skills.
He struggled at first in the AHL then improved as the year went along.
This is the key season for Friedman, he needs to keep improving and show that he's NHL quality.
It's pretty normal for most defensemen to spend 2-3 years in the AHL, learning the ropes.
People tend to get spoiled by top 20 picks, but later picks need time to develop, or in most cases they wouldn't be later picks.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
yea.. you gotta imagine theres no way he signed to be a 7-8...

when it comes to Haktard i have ZERO faith he wont play this guy wayyy above were he has right to be.
He signed a 1 year deal for likely under $1m 4 days after free agency started...that's a desperate move by a hockey player likely knowing he's fighting for the #6 spot

Reactions: BernieParent

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
He was a very good college defenseman, stocky, good skater, good offensive skills.
He struggled at first in the AHL then improved as the year went along.
This is the key season for Friedman, he needs to keep improving and show that he's NHL quality.
It's pretty normal for most defensemen to spend 2-3 years in the AHL, learning the ropes.
People tend to get spoiled by top 20 picks, but later picks need time to develop, or in most cases they wouldn't be later picks.
Yeah just ask the Islanders about Chara

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Tell that to everyteam that has them which is evry team. Gotta be tough to play.
There's a lot of dumb GMs. And the one who aren't dumb have those types of players because they're cheap.

Notice how none of them are stars. The real hockey players actually play hockey.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
There's a lot of dumb GMs. And the one who aren't dumb have those types of players because they're cheap.

Notice how none of them are stars. The real hockey players actually play hockey.
HAHAHAHAHA. Every team that wins has punishing D and we are gonna have a lot of them will skill also that makes a perfect d core. Folin skates well and can pass the puck way better then Gudas but we need both to make it hard on forewards.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I remember that a lot of people were hoping the Flyers would sign Folin out of college but I can't say I've paid much attention to his NHL career. Has he lived up to expectations?

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018
Oh good, we're back to the exaggerated pessimism again. :laugh:

So hows those guaranteed Manning, Filppula, and Beagle signings looking? :popcorn:
Haven't been on this site for too long but this place really is amazing. This team is set up the best it has been in a long time and most people sit here and complain about the smallest of things. Over on the Isles site there is optimism after losing Taveras and having no home arena for at least 3 years.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Fine with this outside of worries about Hak's usage. Even if Myers is an integral part of the lineup by the spring, I could see Hak playing the "vet" Folin over him.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Myers was never starting the season on the Flyers, so this move is fine. They needed a 7D until Morin is healthy and signed someone who isnt good enough to tempt Hakstol to use him over Sanheim.

Who am I kidding?

RIP Sanheim

:laugh:

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
If the most standout skill a player has is that he's big and hits, then he's not a good defensemen. It's 2018.
When you ask anyone about Gudas it's literally the first thing they mention, yet he is not considered bad.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
When you ask anyone about Gudas it's literally the first thing they mention, yet he is not considered bad.
Because he can actually play hockey too. He isn’t Hagg-like.

The reason he’s known for his hits is just because so many were controversial, not because it’s the only thing he can so.

I’ll edit that post to clarify. I should have said “only” not “most”.

Reactions: BernieParent

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Kings fan here. This is a good signing. Folin is solid. He's nothing special but is underrated IMO. Minnesota fans will speak highly of him as well. I can't believe he came this cheap. I would have gladly taken him back for that price.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Myers was never starting the season on the Flyers, so this move is fine. They needed a 7D until Morin is healthy and signed someone who isnt good enough to tempt Hakstol to use him over Sanheim.

Who am I kidding?

RIP Sanheim

:laugh:
I don’t see this as any threat to Sanheim or Myers. They’re both definitely above him on the depth chart and their roles on the team shouldn’t be effected by him at all.

Neither of them ever had a chance of filling the role he was signed to fill (extra d). Hextall won’t have them on the roster to sit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad