Confirmed with Link: Flyers Sign Christian Folin to one-year contract, $800K

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Oh good, we're back to the exaggerated pessimism again. :laugh:

So hows those guaranteed Manning, Filppula, and Beagle signings looking? :popcorn:

It is not exagerating pessimism to suggest Hak chooses his pets and this new vet ( Who sounds like a pretty good 5-6 guy ) over Sanheim and Myers.

Folin Haag Sanheim Myers, 2 can't play when healthy as Farmer is a lock

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Feeling good about the Folin signing!
Hextall has had him on his radar since Folin finished college hockey!
Was a top NCAA free agent!
As a Kings fan he is f***in solid but the forwards play a lot harder on the back check also that's helps the d out. Great pick up.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
It is not exagerating pessimism to suggest Hak chooses his pets and this new vet ( Who sounds like a pretty good 5-6 guy ) over Sanheim and Myers.

Folin Haag Sanheim Myers, 2 can't play when healthy as Farmer is a lock
Theres a trade coming for a good center.

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
Not a bad signing at all, does this say there is a trade forthcoming?

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
You can't just go into the season expecting all of our young defenseman to be ready, especially if they haven't yet established themselves at the NHL level. Sanheim and/or Myers could shit the bed during training camp, or we could experience some injuries. You also need to create some competition, which brings out the best in people.

This is a smart signing by Hextall.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Folin is a #6/#7 defenseman.
He's got good size (6'3 204), decent mobility, but nothing special, but also nothing awful.
It's a good, low cost depth signing - with Alt gone, Friedman not ready, and injuries inevitable.
Last two years:
pp/60 0.66, CF48.80, CFrel -1.48, xGF 50.34, xGFrel -1.57

Owns an ideal frame (6-3, 204 pounds) and plenty of puck-moving acumen. Is sound defensively and can provide a fair amount of offense at lower levels.
Needs to prove he can handle National Hockey League power forwards in the big league. Must also prove he can produce more offense in the NHL.

Coming out of college:

Folin has good size and strength. His mobility and footwork are sound and make him tough to get around. He battles well enough around the walls, though I think most teams would like to see him be a bit more punishing with his frame. Folin certainly doesn’t shy away from contact and every once in a while he’s good for a big hit. His puck-moving ability is solid, but I think it’s his patience with the puck that really makes him effective. Additionally, his poise defensively and with the puck on his stick is what makes him an attractive option for the pro game. There is no panic in him, regardless of competition and he often sees teams’ top lines.

Folin can do a little of everything but other than his physical game he doesn’t stand out in a ton of areas. He’s big, strong and hits so physically even for a college player he should make the physical transition to the pros somewhat easily

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
I think this means we might look at acquiring a similar profile center on a 1 year deal. I think Hextall’s going to hedge his bets a little out of fear of just handing a spot to a kid.

Who’s left?

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
They came out and said they didn't want to play Hagg with Gudas, so that pairing seems unlikely.
They like pairing MacDonald with the rookies though, which is why you would expect to see Sanheim with Macdonald and Hagg with Gudas. But I think Sanheim and Gudas were a better pairing

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I do wonder if Friedman is "not ready" at this point, does that mean he is ultimately just "not good enough"? No sarcasm (for once), just wondering how much development or potential is left there to be tapped into and brought out.

Reactions: BernieParent

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad