Confirmed with Link: Flyers re-sign Rinaldo and Rosehill

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
http://www.capgeek.com/flyers/

scroll to the bottom. projected cap space for 13/14 75,119. the Flyers cant resign anyone else until they clear salar for next season.

Oh, that's all?

I don't see that as a big deal--the college UFAs have already signed. I guess it means we can't re-sign Hall until July 1, but they could agree to a deal in principle. We were always going to be limited until either Bryzgalov or Briere gets bought out.

EDIT: Does the "tagging space" include the 10 percent offseason cushion?

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Oh, that's all?

I don't see that as a big deal--the college UFAs have already signed. I guess it means we can't re-sign Hall until July 1, but they could agree to a deal in principle.

We were always going to be limited until either Bryzgalov or Briere gets bought out.

I was just laughing at the Flyers always being near the top of the cap ceiling. Pretty much guarantees that someone is gone. Who that is, is anyones guess. Not that the Flyers have been unpredictable before.

Edit: I am not up on the tagging space rule either. I asked about it at the trade deadline and when the Flyers were ready to give out that extension for Mason for a higher number then what he got.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
I was just laughing at the Flyers always being near the top of the cap ceiling. Pretty much guarantees that someone is gone. Who that is, is anyones guess. Not that the Flyers have been unpredictable before.

The cap went down. What did you think was going to happen?

The Flyers have most of their projected roster under contract. Once you consider that nearly 10 percent of the projected cap is tied up in Pronger's hit, and that one of Briere or Bryzgalov will almost certainly be gone, there's quite a bit of space.

There are other teams in far worse shape, IMO. Vancouver has $1.3 million in cap space with only 15 players on their current roster signed for next year. Tampa has $2.8 with only 18 guys signed.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
The cap went down. What did you think was going to happen?

The Flyers have most of their projected roster under contract. Once you consider that nearly 10 percent of the projected cap is tied up in Pronger's hit, and that one of Briere or Bryzgalov will almost certainly be gone, there's quite a bit of space.

There are other teams in far worse shape, IMO. Vancouver has $1.3 million in cap space with only 15 players on their current roster signed for next year. Tampa has $2.8 with only 18 guys signed.

I know you have to factor in the cap going down into the remaining cap space and I realize there is plenty of time to get down to an acceptable number regarding cap space.
Just didnt agree with the timing of the contracts. Especially Rosehill.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
I know you have to factor in the cap going down into the remaining cap space and I realize there is plenty of time to get down to an acceptable number regarding cap space.
Just didnt agree with the timing of the contracts. Especially Rosehill.

Because you would have preferred that they use that space to get Hall signed now?

I can understand that--though, if you do the math, it doesn't seem like there would have been enough room--I assume Hall will get $800k+, and after Rinaldo's extension, there was only about $750k available. It seems, thne, that the choice wasn't Hall or Rosehill--it was Rosehill or no one.

I'd like Hall back, but the team does have other options at 4C (Laughton and Talbot), so perhaps they didn't see it as as pressing a need. I'm just happy that we are only spending $675k on our goon. While the timing wasn't ideal, the half-a-million discount from Shelley more than makes up for it.

Last edited:

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
I'm fine with this. Rinaldo has had a heck of a season and Rosehill is good for the type of player he is.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
http://mobile.philly.com/sports/flyers/?wss=/philly/sports/flyers&id=203516841

Well Gags wants to come back. And at a lower price to make it work.

Also he has 6 points in the last 8 games, I wouldn't say that is nothing offensively. He still has those wheels though, when I saw him live last Thursday, he stuck out just because of that speed. Fully recovered from all his injuries he looks good. I wouldn't mind him on our 3rd line and PK next year.

Wasn't sure where to put this, but since we are talking about re-signing both Gags and Hall in this thread I thought it was suitable.

That's encouraging. Though I think I will file this under "believe it when I see it." I said earlier I could see him getting anywhere from $2 mil to where he is at now. I think Jagr said the same thing last year. Carle too. I'm not saying he won't sign for that much (or even if the Flyers will offer him, thought I think they should), but if let's say the Canadiens or someone where he might be comfortable offers him $3.5 million and the Flyers are calling at $2 million, hard for anyone to walk away from $1.5 million, especially when you are nearing the end of the road.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Because you would have preferred that they use that space to get Hall signed now?

I can understand that--though, if you do the math, it doesn't seem like there would have been enough room--I assume Hall will get $800k+, and after Rinaldo's extension, there was only about $750k available. It seems, thne, that the choice wasn't Hall or Rosehill--it was Rosehill or no one.

I'd like Hall back, but the team does have other options at 4C (Laughton and Talbot), so perhaps they didn't see it as as pressing a need. I'm just happy that we are only spending $675k on our goon. While the timing wasn't ideal, the half-a-million discount from Shelley more than makes up for it.

i think guys like Rosehill you can get in August Thats what I am getting at. As far as Hall goes I am sure the Flyers can get him back in July if they wanted to. Should be able to get him at or near the league minimum I would think.
At least they can dump Rosehill in ADK if they need to and lose the cap hit.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
i think guys like Rosehill you can get in August Thats what I am getting at. As far as Hall goes I am sure the Flyers can get him back in July if they wanted to. Should be able to get him at or near the league minimum I would think.
At least they can dump Rosehill in ADK if they need to and lose the cap hit.

If they know he's the goon they want next year, why wait? It isn't likely that he would have signed for less in July, right?

I'm not clear on the timing argument, I guess. What was lost by signing Rosehill now?

dawkins121

Jul 7, 2007
Philadelphia
If they know he's the goon they want next year, why wait? It isn't likely that he would have signed for less in July, right?

I'm not clear on the timing argument, I guess. What was lost by signing Rosehill now?

Yeah I don't really see the downside if you are already committed to signing this type of player anyway (which is a whole different debate). Waiting until July/August is how you end up paying Jody Shelley 7 figures.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Personally I think Rosehill is a large step up from the idiocy that was Shelley and his horrible contract. He is what he is as is Zac Rinaldo. Both are suited for what they do and offer. I have no real issues with either.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
I am perfectly fine with Rinaldo getting resigned. Does his job well. Wish he could play the pk but oh well. He isn't a 3rd liner though. Doesnt have offensive or defensive abilities. Thats not a slight against him either. He does a good job with his role, but no reason to overplay him.

Rosehill is a 13th forward type of guy. nothing more.

flyersfan018

Mar 2, 2011
NJ
At least Rosehill can play some semblance of hockey. Every time Shelley's out there it looks like it's his first day on ice skates. Plus Rosehill can at least win fights unlike that punching bag.

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA
My major gripe about Rosehill's play so far (given his ability level) is that it seems like he's iced the puck at a very large rate given his limited playing time. It seems like he doesn't get the red line at least once a game.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
At least Rosehill can play some semblance of hockey. Every time Shelley's out there it looks like it's his first day on ice skates.
I think Shelley is actually a better hockey player.
Plus Rosehill can at least win fights unlike that punching bag.
True, Shelley has been a former shadow of his old former self fist-wise since coming to Philadelphia, and Rosehill has been pretty impressive. Not a heavy weight, but he did a great job against Orr and Asham.

But it's funny that the question whether re-signing Rosehill was a good move or not has for a lot of posters seemingly been reduced to a simpler problem of whether Rosehill is better than Shelley. Kind of silly, no? I wanted both of them gone, and one being better than the other has no bearing on whether this is a good move or not.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
I think Shelley is actually a better hockey player.True, Shelley has been a former shadow of his old former self fist-wise since coming to Philadelphia, and Rosehill has been pretty impressive. Not a heavy weight, but he did a great job against Orr and Asham.

But it's funny that the question whether re-signing Rosehill was a good move or not has for a lot of posters seemingly been reduced to a simpler problem of whether Rosehill is better than Shelley. Kind of silly, no? I wanted both of them gone, and one being better than the other has no bearing on whether this is a good move or not.

Regardless of what you preferred, did you actually expect the Flyers to go into a season without a goon?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad