Post-Game Talk: Flyers @ Rangers -- 4/23/21

3 Stars

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
The Rangers really should be looking at repeating Chicago's feat from a few years ago. Anything else would be underachieving.
It’s not going to happen, and people should temper their expectations for when it inevitably doesn’t.

Half the reason the salary cap era dynasty teams (Chicago, Pittsburgh, LA) were able to pull off repeat wins the way they did was because they managed to get some of their best players on cap circumventing contracts.

Keith, Hossa, Sid, Malkin, Richards, Carter. All extremely important players in those cup wins signed to contracts that aren’t legal anymore.

With the way the salary cap punishes success I’ll be content if the Rangers pull off one cup. Anything more is just gravy.

Reactions: Lone Ranger

LetsGoRangers2021

Jan 25, 2021
View media item 8909View media item 8910
full

Last edited:

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
It’s not going to happen, and people should temper their expectations for when it inevitably doesn’t.

Half the reason the salary cap era dynasty teams (Chicago, Pittsburgh, LA) were able to pull off repeat wins the way they did was because they managed to get some of their best players on cap circumventing contracts.

Keith, Hossa, Sid, Malkin, Richards, Carter. All extremely important players in those cup wins signed to contracts that aren’t legal anymore.

With the way the salary cap punishes success I’ll be content if the Rangers pull off one cup. Anything more is just gravy.

You can mitigate the cap issues if you do not trade your 1st rounders and continue to backfill talent as players become too expensive to keep. The problem with potential cap era dynasty teams is that they move their 1st rounders trying to get over the hump.

Reactions: Off Sides

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Why shouldn't they do well even with a dime a dozen coach? This juggernaut is just starting to get momentum. The Rangers lucked into Fox, and two top draft picks, on top of being able to attract top UFA players, and having a solid pieces in place from before, in particular important centers and also a very good prospect pool. All the pieces are there to take giant strides.

The Rangers really should be looking at repeating Chicago's feat from a few years ago. Anything else would be underachieving.

Good to see someone else who believes Quinn could succeed here.

Not being Chicago would be underachieving?

I'll be happy if they get one Cup out of this.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Move? At this point seems pretty clear that the Rangers are looking for Miller and Jones to be 1LD and 2LD (or 1A and 1B depending on their RD pairings) and Robertson and Lindgren to figure out the final spot.

Lindgren ain't going anywhere.

Reactions: Sayba

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Lindgren ain't going anywhere.

Not for now, obviously. I was responding to the post that mentioned “Rangers should not move Jones”. I agree and was looking down the road when Miller and Jones are legit top-4. Robertson is joining the Rangers (likely AHL) next season and as the organization they seem to hit bullseye on their choice of defensemen (draft or trade), and if this trend continues 2-3 years from now Lindgren could find himself 4th on LD depth chart.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Not for now, obviously. I was responding to the post that mentioned “Rangers should not move Jones”. I agree and was looking down the road when Miller and Jones are legit top-4. Robertson is joining the Rangers (likely AHL) next season and as the organization they seem to hit bullseye on their choice of defensemen (draft or trade), and if this trend continues 2-3 years from now Lindgren could find himself 4th on LD depth chart.

It could change, but right now if I had to lose one of Miller or Lindgren, I'd be okay losing Miller.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
It could change, but right now if I had to lose one of Miller or Lindgren, I'd be okay losing Miller.

Not me. Miller doesn’t have the polish at the moment, but his realistic prime level is so much higher IMO. What we seeing this year from Miller is roughly corresponds to Lindgren season in Hartford after leaving college two seasons ago.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Not me. Miller doesn’t have the polish at the moment, but his realistic prime level is so much higher IMO. What we seeing this year from Miller is roughly corresponds to Lindgren season in Hartford after leaving college two seasons ago.

I understand I might be wrong. Miller certainly has the higher upside, but his game here reminds me of his game before he got here. He makes a lot of mistakes.

I'm not looking to lose either one.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
If he's still the coach next season, and they do well, it will be interesting here.

Hell, if they win the Cup with him, some here will still say if he was better, it would have been in less games.
Or, if he wins a cup, they would say he should have won it the year prior, "if he had taken HF's advice and done this or that sooner.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Or, if he wins a cup, they would say he should have won it the year prior, "if he had taken HF's advice and done this or that sooner.

To me, the biggest misconception of lots of fans is that they overrate the importance of the coach and assign player shortcomings to their coach.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Good to see someone else who believes Quinn could succeed here.

Not being Chicago would be underachieving?

I'll be happy if they get one Cup out of this
We all would be, but absolutely no reason WHY they couldnt do more. With this talent? Adding more? Looking around the league, tell me one other team that has more than the Rangers do.......Avalanche for sure, Tampa? but who else?

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
To me, the biggest misconception of lots of fans is that they overrate the importance of the coach and assign player shortcomings to their coach.
Agree. At least 80% has to be on the players. They don't prepare, keep in shape and give whatever effort they can.....
Well, that cannot be put on the coach. But it IS his job to allocate ice time. Play like crap.......4th line you go.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
We all would be, but absolutely no reason WHY they couldnt do more. With this talent? Adding more? Looking around the league, tell me one other team that has more than the Rangers do.......Avalanche for sure, Tampa? but who else?

Carolina and Vegas.

That might change, depending on what the kids do, but talent is often confused with potential, and offensive talent. Toronto has a very talented offensive squad, but it hasn't worked out for them.

Reactions: Larrybiv

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG

There's some great reasons why they might not win more.

The kids falling short of the current hype.

Injuries.

The salary cap.

Luck.

It's hard to win 1 Cup. 2 has become really tough.

Reactions: Larrybiv

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG

If he drops to the 4th pair, the Rangers will be the best team in the NHL. Him on the 3rd pair puts them in Cup contention.

I'd bet against him dropping out of the top two pairs, let alone the top three pairs.

Reactions: kovazub94
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad