Rumor: Flyers prospect Wyatt Kalynuk free to negotiate with other teams

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I can see the Habs having interest. He's a teammate of Cole Caufield and a LHD. Habs have a massive hole at LHD.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
50 deals goes quick and Flyers signed Allison, Sandin, and Laczynski.

Throw in Flyers have York Zamula and Wylie in the pipeline and you see why he/Flyers went elsewhere. Worth a contract look for sure.

Reactions: qqaz and BHD

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
For those curious why Kalynuk could become a UFA only 3 years after being drafted from college in 2017--he was drafted at age 20. For age 18/19 college players the default rights are 4 years. For age 20 college players it's only 2 years.

He could have become a UFA last season had he chosen to do so. The Flyers received a 3rd year of rights when he remained at Wisconsin this season. Per the draft rights rules, once Kalynuk notified the NHL/Flyers he had withdrawn from school they had a 30 day window to sign him before becoming a UFA.

Last edited:

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
For those curious why Kalynuk could because a UFA only 3 years after being drafted from college in 2017--he was drafted at age 20. For age 18/19 college players the default rights are 4 years. For age 20 college players it's only 2 years.

He could have become a UFA last season had he chosen to do so. The Flyers received a 3rd year of rights when he remained at Wisconsin this season. Per the draft rights rules, once Kalynuk notified the NHL/Flyers he had withdrawn from school they had a 30 day window to sign him before becoming a UFA.

Ahhhh, makes sense. I see he is 23 years old now.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Could be decent, he made the Big-10 conference 1st all-star team this past season, but his numbers haven't shown much improvement.

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
Even at 23 I don't know that he's a straight to the nhl guy. Promising for sure. A team with more need at ld will probably offer him more than Philly can

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
Saw all of Caufield's games this year, so inevitably saw quite a bit of Kalynuk, too. Overall I feel he played well, but I don't know if he has it in him to make it to the NHL full-time. He's definitely worth a shot in the AHL though, and I feel that a team will likely offer him a contract before play resumes next season.

I think a team like Minnesota might make sense here, they have contract space and could use some depth on LD in the AHL.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I can see the Habs having interest. He's a teammate of Cole Caufield and a LHD. Habs have a massive hole at LHD.

I don't think they would have much interest and they have a lot of LD prospects so there's not a need there and they likely won't have room for him in Laval especially if Fairbrother ends up there and you likely have Harris joining them after next season plus whatever they opt to do with Norlinder.

Reactions: BHD

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Saw all of Caufield's games this year, so inevitably saw quite a bit of Kalynuk, too. Overall I feel he played well, but I don't know if he has it in him to make it to the NHL full-time. He's definitely worth a shot in the AHL though, and I feel that a team will likely offer him a contract before play resumes next season.

I think a team like Minnesota might make sense here, they have contract space and could use some depth on LD in the AHL.
Meh. I think we will be just fine without him. I don’t like his tendency to turn the puck over and put his d partner in bad spots with his positioning.

Reactions: montreal

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
He's a pretty solid prospect. Good size. Smooth-skating. Brings some offense. Definitely has NHL potential. The Flyers are just absolutely loaded with LHD.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Dont let the round fool you. He'd go considerably higher in a re-draft based on his post-draft play.

Last edited by a moderator:

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Dont let the round fool you. He'd go considerably higher in a re-draft based on his post-draft play.
He was passed over the draft twice, IIRC, and then taken in the last round. He went to college later than most guys, presumably to fill out a bit first.

He looks like he has the skating and skill to play in the NHL, it's just at 23 he better get on with it.

He'll sign somewhere, if it's with the Flyers fine, but if not that's OK too.

Reactions: Rebels57

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Provy
Sanheim
Ghost
Hagg
Morin
Zamula
York
Millman
Ginning
Hogberg
Wylie

That is the Flyers LHD depth. Can't blame a guy for looking elsewhere as a 23 year old UFA when there is that depth to compete with.

And for the Flyers, there is no room for them all so some are going to be moved at some point anyways....even though you hate losing a prospect for nothing. But the Flyers have the depth to not be affected by this at all.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Provy
Sanheim
Ghost
Hagg
Morin
Zamula
York
Millman
Ginning
Hogberg
Wylie

That is the Flyers LHD depth. Can't blame a guy for looking elsewhere as a 23 year old UFA when there is that depth to compete with.

And for the Flyers, there is no room for them all so some are going to be moved at some point anyways....even though you hate losing a prospect for nothing. But the Flyers have the depth to not be affected by this at all.
Unless the guy leaving as the UFA is actually better than the guys on that list. If he’s not, it’s not an issue. If he is, then the Flyers are worse than they could have been.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad