Hagg

Morin
Zamula
York
Millman
Ginning
Hogberg
Wylie

That is the Flyers LHD depth. Can't blame a guy for looking elsewhere as a 23 year old UFA when there is that depth to compete with.

And for the Flyers, there is no room for them all so some are going to be moved at some point anyways....even though you hate losing a prospect for nothing. But the Flyers have the depth to not be affected by this at all.

Not meaning to derail the thread but was just wondering when Ghost and Hagg play on the same pair who plays on the right side?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Unless the guy leaving as the UFA is actually better than the guys on that list. If he’s not, it’s not an issue. If he is, then the Flyers are worse than they could have been.
He isn't better than Provy, Sanheim or Ghost....and isn't projected to be better than York or Zamula. After that, who knows.

Just pointing out that on another team, he likely has a much better chance to play NHL games since the LH competition can be way less elsewhere.

Not meaning to derail the thread but was just wondering when Ghost and Hagg play on the same pair who plays on the right side?

Both have played each side, but Ghost is way better on the right side.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
He isn't better than Provy, Sanheim or Ghost....and isn't projected to be better than York or Zamula. After that, who knows.

Just pointing out that on another team, he likely has a much better chance to play NHL games since the LH competition can be way less elsewhere.

Both have played each side, but Ghost is way better on the right side.
Then this guy leaving is a non issue. Seems like he even recognized his chances aren’t good in Philly, so he’s going elsewhere.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Colorado has a history with college free agents (i.e. Kerfoot), and so I wonder if Sakic would make an offer.

Avs are quite deep at LHD right now, but that probably won't be the case a year from now after Zadorov and Cole have moved on (via trade and UFA respectively). Avs also need a 7D this offseason to replace Barberio.

As a smooth-skating Dman he'd be a fit stylistically, and has a reasonably realistic path to the team, either as a 7D in 2020/21, or in 2021/22 after spending 1 season in the AHL.

To illustrate Avs depth a bit more, beyond 2021 and once Byram gets established Avs blueline projects something like this:

Byram -- Makar
Girard -- Timmins
Graves -- Johnson

There were rumours at the deadline of Montreal being interested in Graves (for a top 6 forward), and if such a trade were to materialise there would be an opening on the 3rd pairing, and Kalynuk's only legitimate competition in that case would be Zhuravlyov.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Then this guy leaving is a non issue. Seems like he even recognized his chances aren’t good in Philly, so he’s going elsewhere.
We very likely won't see any effect from him leaving, but like I said, you still don't like to lose assets for nothing. Especially Dmen who do have NHL upside.

But personally, I look at it that this coming year Provy, Sanheim and Ghost are better and they will likely keep Hagg as the #7 while Kalynuk is the in the AHL.

Then the following year, the Flyers very likely could lose Ghost in the expansion draft opening a spot...but then he has Zamula and York to beat out.

So yeah, he can see this just as well as we can so going to a team who needs LHD gives him a much better chance to get NHL money and sooner, imo. Can't blame him for that.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Unless the guy leaving as the UFA is actually better than the guys on that list. If he’s not, it’s not an issue. If he is, then the Flyers are worse than they could have been.

As was already pointed out, it’s unlikely he plays for the flyers given their NHL depth and future NHL caliber dmen. I think it’s just a career move. Flyers have done a 180 from the days when Ryan Parent needed to be their number 1D...

Reactions: Flyer lurker

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
Saw all of Caufield's games this year, so inevitably saw quite a bit of Kalynuk, too. Overall I feel he played well, but I don't know if he has it in him to make it to the NHL full-time. He's definitely worth a shot in the AHL though, and I feel that a team will likely offer him a contract before play resumes next season.

I think a team like Minnesota might make sense here, they have contract space and could use some depth on LD in the AHL.

• The kid might play better in the NHL than in college. I too say Wisky play live when they came to PSU. Under Granato, the Badgers played as individuals and not as a team. I'd take this guy over K'Andre Miller who will be a bust IMO. Grossly overrated by the masses.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Being from Manitoba and given the Jets roster I could see him looking at Winnipeg pretty hard. After Morrisey nothing is set in stone and given his age he could certainly find himself fast tracked not only into the NHL but the top 4.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Is there a freeze on signings? No one has been signed since June 15th in the nhl.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Being from Manitoba and given the Jets roster I could see him looking at Winnipeg pretty hard. After Morrisey nothing is set in stone and given his age he could certainly find himself fast tracked not only into the NHL but the top 4.
Is Kalynuk good enough to be a top 4 Dman?

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
The Flyers seemed to more priority to sign Sandin and Allison at f so top 4 seems unlikely. Now can he be a n ahl d-man with chance to make it as a 3rd pairing d-man? Sure.
Do you think he's going to be looking for a team where he can get NHL action immediately, or would he be ok with a season in the AHL and then getting called up permanently in 2021/22?

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Do you think he's going to be looking for a team where he can get NHL action immediately, or would he be ok with a season in the AHL and then getting called up permanently in 2021/22?
We are taking speculation for sure here.

At 23 he may think he is NHL ready and for sure he is AHL ready.

Flyers signed Wylie and Ginning and at this point Kalynuk was offered and did not sign.

Knowing Hextall knows the Flyers prospects pretty well can i see a scenario where he signs out with Kings and is given a chance to make roster. On paper it makes sense.

The views are all over the place on him. For example you can find
Dan Silver
@dsilver88

·
Jun 26
Re: Wyatt Kalynuk I honestly have never understood all of the hype around him He was drafted as an overager (always an uphill battle to make the NHL) and while he is a good skater with a good shot, nothing else about his game screams NHL to me Hogberg much better NHL prospect

or you go to Hockey news and find him above Hogberg.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Re: Wyatt Kalynuk<br><br>I honestly have never understood all of the hype around him<br><br>He was drafted as an overager (always an uphill battle to make the NHL) and while he is a good skater with a good shot, nothing else about his game screams NHL to me<br><br>Hogberg much better NHL prospect</p>&mdash; Dan Silver (@dsilver88) <a href="">June 26, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Reactions: Richard88

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
We are taking speculation for sure here.

At 23 he may think he is NHL ready and for sure he is AHL ready.

Flyers signed Wylie and Ginning and at this point Kalynuk was offered and did not sign.

Knowing Hextall knows the Flyers prospects pretty well can i see a scenario where he signs out with Kings and is given a chance to make roster. On paper it makes sense.

The views are all over the place on him. For example you can find
Dan Silver
@dsilver88

·
Jun 26
Re: Wyatt Kalynuk I honestly have never understood all of the hype around him He was drafted as an overager (always an uphill battle to make the NHL) and while he is a good skater with a good shot, nothing else about his game screams NHL to me Hogberg much better NHL prospect

or you go to Hockey news and find him above Hogberg.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Re: Wyatt Kalynuk<br><br>I honestly have never understood all of the hype around him<br><br>He was drafted as an overager (always an uphill battle to make the NHL) and while he is a good skater with a good shot, nothing else about his game screams NHL to me<br><br>Hogberg much better NHL prospect</p>&mdash; Dan Silver (@dsilver88) <a href="">June 26, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Whatever the case with him, adding free talent is rarely a bad thing, so whoever gets him should be pleased.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

JesterOnly

Mar 5, 2007
SF Bay Area, CA
More likely to just want an avenue to the NHL that isn't blocked by a slew of potential top 4 defensemen. I could see him happy to play in the AHL if offered a top 4 role in the AHL with potential for movement up for even multiple years as long as he's not blocked from the NHL when he's ready.

I would love for the Sharks to give him an offer. He's skilled enough to be slotted directly into the Barracuda top 4 and has higher potential than all but Merkley and maybe Knyazev in the entire Sharks system. The forced cap crunch would mean that the Sharks will be forced to cycle bottom pairing NHL defensemen for the foreseeable future, so he could jump to the NHL quickly too.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I would love for the Sharks to give him an offer. He's skilled enough to be slotted directly into the Barracuda top 4 and has higher potential than all but Merkley and maybe Knyazev in the entire Sharks system.
Knyazev has the higher upside and it's not debatable.

Reactions: themelkman

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
So many comments are underrating this guy. He has 2nd pair upside with his smarts/skating/size combination. Can't believe we'll possibly lose this guy for nothing.

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com

Weird choice. With Boqvist, Maatta, Beaudin, Carlsson, Mitchell, Regula, Tuulola and Vlasic all in the system and under 25 year of age, it's not exactly wide-open route to the NHL there.

Reactions: CF Punk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad