Flyers Off-Season Part I, Reg/Season Thread VII or Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware
I'd like to be alone in a room with Dave and tell him exactly what I think of Andy.
I'd tell you here, but there aren't enough asterisks in the world to cover it.

:laugh: :handclap: id also like to do the same, but he seems like he is to stupid to understand logic and stats his response will be "but but i love him, hes a top 3 dman, hes our pride and joy"

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Eh, what do you expect? I sure as hell wouldn't want a head coach who didn't go to bat for his player publicly.

A coach, or player for that matter, should never criticize the fans for expressing their feelings. Ever. Not to mention the "top 3 defensemen" ********.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
A coach, or player for that matter, should never criticize the fans for expressing their feelings. Ever. Not to mention the "top 3 defensemen" ********.

I think it's fair for the head coach to say he doesn't like hearing his player get booed at home games. A head coach should be able to defend his player if his player is being attacked without being deemed a buffoon for doing so. I don't want a head coach who won't go to bat for his team.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Theres defending him and then there is claiming hes a top 3 dman........wayyyy different :laugh:

He said he was playing a top 3 or 4 role on the Flyers. Did you expect him to say MacDonald was a third pairing defenseman when he was playing him 20 minutes a game? Todd McLelllan wouldn't call Kris Russell a third pairing defenseman no matter how mad Oiler fans were about his Corsi numbers.

"He’s played like a legitimate top 3-4 role all year"

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
He said he was playing a top 3 or 4 role on the Flyers. Did you expect him to say MacDonald was a third pairing defenseman when he was playing him 20 minutes a game? Todd McLelllan wouldn't call Kris Russell a third pairing defenseman no matter how mad Oiler fans were about his Corsi numbers.

What he actually said according to witnesses..

“Hak got all red in the face, and went on several minutes defending A-Mac. Flat out said A-Mac is a top 3 or 4 defensemen in the NHL,” Broadstreethockey.com wrote. “Specifically said ‘you can throw Corsi out the window.’ Hak seemed to legitimately believe A-Mac is a top defensemen, deserves top minutes.”

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2017/02/08/dave-hakstol-andrew-macdonald/

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Playing a top 3-4 role and being a top 3 or 4 defenseman in the NHL is the same thing. It means the coach believes the player is good enough to play in the top 4 on his team, which is something we already knew be believed based on ice time. It doesn't mean that the coach thinks the player is one of the 3 or 4 best defensmen in the entire league behind only Burns and Doughty and Karlsson.

The idea that Hakstol is unique among NHL coaches in using a defensmen with low Corsi Rel in a top 4 role is hopelessly ignorant. Go look at Russell's ice time and Corsi numbers under the "buffoon" in Edmonton.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
It's genuinely hilarious that people are still pretending that Hakstol saying that MacDonald was being used a top 3 or 4 defenseman on his team, is a separate thing from the fact that MacDonald was used as a top 3 or 4 defenseman on the Flyers this season.

It would be like getting extra mad if he had said that VdV was worthy of being an everyday 4th liner and main penalty killer. We already knew he thought that based on his usage.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013

Just so you know there is many ways to defend AMac without saying he deserves a top 3-4 role / top minutes. For example "I like what AMac brings to the table and think he's an underrated player who isn't well received by the fans" or blah blah blah.

Back to the point AMac sucks and Hakstol is clearly delusional, there isn't much else to it.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Just so you know there is many ways to defend AMac without saying he deserves a top 3-4 role / top minutes.

What would be the point of Hakstol pretending MacDonald wasn't playing 20 minutes a game when anyone could look at the stats on NHL.com?

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
What would be the point of Hakstol pretending MacDonald wasn't playing 20 minutes a game when anyone could look at the stats on NHL.com?

To avoid criticizing other players. Hakstol isn't going to say well AMac isn't really good enough for a top 3/4 role but I don't trust Ghost, MDZ has been really up and down, and Streit looks slow and old.

There's a difference between legitimately believing something and going on a rant about it versus just towing the company line.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Hak used AMac as a #2 dman....2nd most TOI per game....and most at SH( though Provy 1 sec. less)

So he didn't just used him in a top 4. He used him with our best Dman against top lines AND gave him top SH minutes.

Defending his usage this year is idiotic.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
He had alternatives?

Only reason Gudas had less usage was he was banged up at times.
And after that, well, MDZ, Streit, Manning, Schultz, nuff said.
Ghost was limited to offensive situations because of Ghost, it wasn't until the last couple months he actually tried on defense.

MacDonald is a bottom pairing defenseman who would be instantly claimed on waivers if he was making $2M a year. He's not awful, he's just not good. But neither were the alternatives.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
AMac was better this year, but the bar was set low. People disliking AMac has little to do with his corsi, it is his defending and the way he gives up the blueline like an ECHLer.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
He had alternatives?

Ghost was limited to offensive situations because of Ghost, it wasn't until the last couple months he actually tried on defense.

MacDonald is a bottom pairing defenseman who would be instantly claimed on waivers if he was making $2M a year. He's not awful, he's just not good. But neither were the alternatives.

Yeah because missing the playoffs was an exceedingly good idea! There isn't any justifiable reason to defend Hakstol playing AMac as much as he did. Even if the intention was to lose games rather than win he still did a **** poor job in that department.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
AMac was better this year, but the bar was set low. People disliking AMac has little to do with his corsi, it is his defending and the way he gives up the blueline like an ECHLer.

I've been reading articles and comments for almost five years now that say his Corsi is low because of giving up the blueline, so they are entirely intertwined ideas.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013

Yep. His poor advanced stats are just a reflection of what you can see with the eye ball test.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
He had alternatives?

Yes he did have alternatives.

Provy Gudas would have been a much better pairing to go up against top lines.

And stop this ******** that Ghost did not try on defense. It makes you look stupid.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Yeah because missing the playoffs was an exceedingly good idea!

So playing MacDonald less, and playing MDZ and Schultz more would have got the Flyers into the playoffs?

It's not like Hakstol had the option of playing any of the D prospects. Hextall kept them in the AHL till the team was eliminated from the playoffs.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Yes he did have alternatives.

Provy Gudas would have been a much better pairing to go up against top lines.

So then the 2nd pairing is MDZ as the anchor without Gudas to carry him? That might be have been OK if MDZ didn't forget how to play defense for most of the season.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Hak used AMac as a #2 dman....2nd most TOI per game....and most at SH( though Provy 1 sec. less)

So he didn't just used him in a top 4. He used him with our best Dman against top lines AND gave him top SH minutes.

Defending his usage this year is idiotic.
That spot was meant for Del Zotto. But he was so bad he couldn't even stay in the lineup.
Streit wasn't a top pairing d-man anymore, Gudas was needed on the 2nd pairing, Ghost had a bad start,...
That leaves MacDonald, Schultz and Manning. Pretty easy decision who you want as #2 out of these 3.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad