Flyers Off-Season Part I, Reg/Season Thread VII or Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I hope you don't have season tickets.

That is a D lineup that promotes faintheartedness for sure, but it is far beyond realistic to think that Hextall would allow such an inexperienced lineup as that for his NHL roster. I think it is for the best that the rookie D will have their debuts staggered.

Hagg and Morin will be in their third seasons of professional hockey.

Ghost will be 24 and in his 3rd season in the NHL.

Older journeymen defensemen make mistakes all the time, and without mixing in much upside. I have no problem playing 2 or 3 rookies on the blueline at the same time if they are among the best 6 defensemen in the organization.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Honestly, id would rather have TJ Brennan on the AHL roster then have Manning or Amac on the NHL roster. Not that he is worth protecting, but if you had to protect 3 D to keep in general, and lets say the rest of your non protected guys would disappear somewhere, Id protect Ghost, Gudas, and TJ.

I don't know if that makes sense at all.

However I think you protect Manning, just because it forces LV hand a little bit more to take a bad contract like Amac, Wesie, Raffl, Read, PEB, or Neuvy. Manning sucks, but he is paid accordingly, which you cant say about many flyers, and prob can be traded for a future 7th or a depth AHL guy

The probability of TJ being claimed is zero. You mind as well protect Will O'Neil. There would be no effective difference.

Sam's idiotic argument was that even though no NHL team wants him now they might in the future with an additional team in the league and therefore he would have future value.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
obviously. But when the kids make mistakes you get the "bust" and "not ready for the NHL comments" even when the sample size is very small.
i have seen it here enough. A kid plays in his first NHL game, doesnt have the greatest of games and it brings out the best(or worst in folks).

People say questionable things on the internet. Not really that shocking.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I hope you don't have season tickets.

That is a D lineup that promotes faintheartedness for sure, but it is far beyond realistic to think that Hextall would allow such an inexperienced lineup as that for his NHL roster. I think it is for the best that the rookie D will have their debuts staggered.

As opposed to having season tickets this season when Streit and Schultz and MDZ played 128 games? Those are the guys the kids will be replacing.

The rookie dmen have already been staggered. Ghost in 15-16 and Provorov in 16-17. And they came into the NHL without much/any AHL experience. If playing around 200 AHL games isn't enough for Hagg and Morin to be ready for a regular NHL role then we're in trouble.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The probability of TJ being claimed is zero. You mind as well protect Will O'Neil. There would be no effective difference.

Sam's idiotic argument was that even though no NHL team wants him now they might in the future with an additional team in the league and therefore he would have future value.

I think that was Isaac, unless Carchidi stole his idea.

http://www.courierpostonline.com/st.../08/flyers-mailbag-assessing-future/97637670/

So there are two options for a team's protected list: eight skaters and a goalie or seven forwards, three defensemen and a goalie. Let's assume they'll protect Stolarz and we already know Claude Giroux is on the list because he has a no-move clause. If it's me, I do 7/3/1. Here would be my list: Giroux, Voracek, Schenn, Couturier, Simmonds, Cousins, Gostisbehere, Gudas and Brennan.

Why T.J. Brennan? Read Steve Whyno's story on what adding a 31st team does to the NHL. Brennan is such an on-the-cusp player that he benefits most from an extra team. He'd have a job in a 31-team NHL and doesn't in a 30-team NHL.

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
I actually think Hagg will have a better 2017-18 season then Morin. Sam will have a better career, but I think can see Morin being very hard on him self next year. When I watch Morin, I see a guy that can try and do too much at times, and let his emotions get the best of him. We say that with Provy a bit at the start of last season too. Hagg on the other hand is cool and collective, some times a little to much.

My guess next year is

Oct:
Provy-Amac
Ghost-Hagg
Morin-Gudas

Xmas
Provy-Hagg
Sanhiem-Gudas
Morin-Ghost

I have Hagg on 1st pairing not because he is that good, rather because I think he can play the same style of game were asking out of Amac right now. Ideally that's Gudas spot, but I don't think your bottom 4 D can be Ghost, Hagg, Morin, Sanhiem...not yet atleast.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Why?

Why is playing Manning over somebody like Morin better for this team?

Because he has experience? He has experience being a ****** ****ing dman. So what, they make mistakes. That's how they learn. Hextall basically said they are bringing in 2 kids next year. I'm very confident you will see 2 of the 4 dmen (Myers/Sanheim/Morin/Hagg) next year. If you want to play it safe, call up the defensive minded ones. Let the offensive guys get more learning

Because Manning is going to get played next season, probably a lot, over the multiple first-year players. It makes little sense and we know it would be better to go with the unproven guys over the proven lacking guy, but Hakstol will be hyperventilating into that stony visage not having a go-to "vet". Beside that, I am of the general mind that even the top-line prospects who aren't cyborgs should get lower-pairing minutes to get up to NHL speed for proper development.

My optimal scenario is the two best of Sanheim, Morin, and Hagg starting with the Flyers, and the third on the top pairing with the Phantoms.

Ghost Beer said:
Hagg and Morin will be in their third seasons of professional hockey.

Ghost will be 24 and in his 3rd season in the NHL.

Older journeymen defensemen make mistakes all the time, and without mixing in much upside. I have no problem playing 2 or 3 rookies on the blueline at the same time if they are among the best 6 defensemen in the organization.

There's nothing in your post with which I disagree. I am not averse to two rookies, but Provorov is going into his sophomore season and Hakstol still has trust issues with Gostisbehere. My focus is on maximizing the development of these players, even more than the outcome of next season.

I believe I value less the two years of pro service of Morin and Hagg than I infer you do because of the big leap from AHL to NHL. They both got their feet wet and, thankfully, didn't look shellshocked; however, the NHL season is pretty gruelling and an awful lot of first-year players hit a wall partway through.

Curufinwe said:
As opposed to having season tickets this season when Streit and Schultz and MDZ played 128 games? Those are the guys the kids will be replacing.

My comment was further to Heisenberg's comment that he may not wear pants to watch the Flyers with all of the rookie D. See, if you have to explain it ...

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Didn't MDZ say they were going to fill two spots on the backend with youth?

I believe it's going to happen. Also depending on his moves I could see Hexy making a move to add a defenseman if something is worth it.

Pretty much if Macdonald is traded. That's it.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
Having Morin and Hagg together on the Flyers next year isn't far fetched at all.

Two rookies isn't a big deal, especially when Provorov has already proven to play like a seasoned vet (and better than most seasoned vets) and is capable of carrying dead weight. The age of the defensive core would be fairly young, but not in a bad way.

Provorov-MacDonald
Morin-Gudas
Ghost-Hagg

or something like that? Very possible.
Oooo not again...

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware
I mean Hextall has been pretty vocal this year about a youth movement next year. It would be pretty pointless to say it if you don't mean it.

Well as long as haktard is in control of line ups and playing time it doesnt really matter what hexy says, the dumbass will play his favorite manning and vdv (if resigned) as much as he wants

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Well as long as haktard is in control of line ups and playing time it doesnt really matter what hexy says, the dumbass will play his favorite manning and vdv (if resigned) as much as he wants

I seriously doubt playing nobodies over guys you have a lot invested in is going to sit well with Hextall. I think it's stupid that Hakstol scratched Konecny & Gostisbehere but in the grand scheme of things they still played a lot this year.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The season won't be lost because of him. He's an idiot but most coaches are trash and the players cover for them by performing in spite of their stupidity. If the roster and players improve as expected they should be in the playoffs, even with Hakstol there.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
The season won't be lost because of him. He's an idiot but most coaches are trash and the players cover for them by performing in spite of their stupidity. If the roster and players improve as expected they should be in the playoffs, even with Hakstol there.

Add to that the fact that Hakstol's vet options are diminishing, and 2017-18 should prove to be an intriguing season. Maybe not hugely successful in terms of final finish / playoffs, but a big step forward in assembling the team Hextall has planned.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

You're underestimating the extent to which Hakstol is capable of ****ing things up.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada

i'll take that bet.

i predict no POs again next season

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
i'll take that bet.

i predict no POs again next season

Let's see how the roster shakes out but Hagg and Morin added is a modest improvement but they are still rookies and will make plenty of mistakes. We were spoiled with Provorov but learning to play D in the NHL is tough. Lindblom should help alot but we don't know who our goalies will be and we have at least four teams in our division that are clearly superior. I think the odds are better that we end up not making the playoffs.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Let's see how the roster shakes out but Hagg and Morin added is a modest improvement but they are still rookies and will make plenty of mistakes. We were spoiled with Provorov but learning to play D in the NHL is tough. Lindblom should help alot but we don't know who our goalies will be and we have at least four teams in our division that are clearly superior. I think the odds are better that we end up not making the playoffs.

Will Hagg/Morin be worse or the same as MDZ/Streit/Manning?

That's all they need to be better than and I'm confident they will be, that in itself will help the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad