Flyers Off-Season Part I, Reg/Season Thread VII or Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
We really need to dump a lot of dead weight on this team. Goddamn.

Just think of that comment, then remember that Hextall has already dumped:

Pronger
Grossmann
Schenn
Vinny
Rinaldo
McGinn
Streit
Coburn

And soon to be:

MDZ
Schultz
VDV

He had a lot of trash to take out all while re-stocking the prospect cupboard.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Pronger
Grossmann
Schenn
Vinny
Rinaldo
McGinn
Streit
Coburn

And soon to be:

MDZ
Schultz
VDV

And those were just the warm bodies!

The problem the last few years has been depth, dump a lot of veterans, have no cap room so you have to bottom feed, and no prospects in the pipeline (Ghost and Cousins the only Holmgren picks that have made the team the last three years, Laughton played one season and couldn't stick, Morin and Hagg were slowly simmered).

Part of it has been Hextall's fault, since he got draft picks in almost every trade, Gudas, Weal and Filppula were the ones where he took a player back instead of more picks. He refused to trade those extra picks for players who could help now, and couldn't sign a serious FA.

Next year we're finally going to have enough forwards in camp that we might even field 3 warm bodies on the 4th line (no VdV, Luby, Leier a long shot) in guys like MV, Laughton, Read/Cousins, Raffl, etc.

Three rookies might make the team on defense, pushing MacDonald to 6/7th D-man or the AHL, and Manning to scrub duty.

Don't think we've had that kind of depth since 2011-12.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)

Pronger
Grossmann
Schenn
Vinny
Rinaldo
McGinn
Streit
Coburn

And soon to be:

MDZ
Schultz
VDV

I emphatically agree with the great work Hextall did to get most of these players off the team, but I don't think Coburn fits as "trash".

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
Hextall is responsible for these 3 bodies being here to begin with.

For all the positives that Hextalls displayed, his pro-scouting has been markedly poor.

Uhhh MDZ was signed as Timonen insurance and came in with zero to little expectations at all.

He actually played better and longer here than most ever thought he would; didnt really cost us anything at all either.

It was his time to go but let's not play revisionist and trash guys just because.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Hextall is responsible for these 3 bodies being here to begin with.

For all the positives that Hextalls displayed, his pro-scouting has been markedly poor.

None of those were bad signings.

MDZ was good for the first couple of years.

Schultz was a harmless 7th defensemen

VDV was fine at first, until he got severely overused.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010

Pronger
Grossmann
Schenn
Vinny
Rinaldo
McGinn
Streit
Coburn

And soon to be:

MDZ
Schultz
VDV

Hextall has done a good job up until this point but now comes the hard part. He could very well have to fire his first coaching hire and he must acquire an elite young forward or two, which is very difficult without tanking.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Hextall has done a poor job at signing veteran talent.

This year I hope he doesn't sign anybody. Maybe less is more for this team in that area.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
When you shop in the bargain bin . . .

MDZ was good value, up and down but a cheap acquistion, and short-term extension.

Guys like White, VdV, Luby. PEB, Gordon, etc. were short-term patches due to trading a lot of veterans. Same with Schultz.

Umberger was the cost of dumping Hartnell's contract

Weise looked like a mistake until he got on the right line.

In three years, the previous farm system produced one defenseman (Ghost), one forward (Cousins). Even with Provorov and Konency, that's 4 players in 3 years, so he had to trade for guys like Gudas, Weal, Filppula just to fill out the roster.

No money, no prospects, a GM's options are kind of limited.

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware
When you shop in the bargain bin . . .

MDZ was good value, up and down but a cheap acquistion, and short-term extension.

Guys like White, VdV, Luby. PEB, Gordon, etc. were short-term patches due to trading a lot of veterans. Same with Schultz.

Umberger was the cost of dumping Hartnell's contract

Weise looked like a mistake until he got on the right line.

In three years, the previous farm system produced one defenseman (Ghost), one forward (Cousins). Even with Provorov and Konency, that's 4 players in 3 years, so he had to trade for guys like Gudas, Weal, Filppula just to fill out the roster.

No money, no prospects, a GM's options are kind of limited.

Weise signing is still a mistake, too much money and term, and mdz wasnt really "cheap" almost 4 million per is what youd pay a top 4 guy, so i wouldnt say we went to the bargain bin when it comes to him, but you're right about him having a tough task when it comes to no money nor prospects, however im sure we could have gotten a better offer for hartnell than what we got

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
MDZ got that contract after scoring 32 points in 64 games. His original contract of $1.3m was definitely a bargain signing.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I doubt we could have gotten a better offer for Hartnell, he had control, a bad contract (5 years left coming off an off season). Hextall really didn't have a choice, he had to start carving out cap room, he could now that he was going to perform miracles (dumping Vinnie, Pronger's contract, etc.).

Umberger's contract allowed him to buy out after two years, Hartnell still has two years left on his deal.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
I doubt we could have gotten a better offer for Hartnell, he had control, a bad contract (5 years left coming off an off season). Hextall really didn't have a choice, he had to start carving out cap room, he could now that he was going to perform miracles (dumping Vinnie, Pronger's contract, etc.).

Umberger's contract allowed him to buy out after two years, Hartnell still has two years left on his deal.
Not true. I talked to Hartnell in Kelowna and I brought up the trade as I thought it sucked at the time and still does and I asked him if CLB was his only choice and he said no but Hexy took the CLB offer which is scary. He never told me the other teams but said in his mind there was better trades for the flyers. He loves CLB but loved Philly and it hurt to leave.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I'm not going to fault Hextall for MDZ

He signed MDZ for peanuts, he came in and did a good job year one

Earned a fair extension, year 1 looked like a ****ing steal and a lot of us expected and didn't mind an extension, year 2 was a dumpster fire, Hextall thankfully did not extend and we should probably give him credit.

I don't like the Weise signing, I don't like the PEB extension.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I miss Bobrovsky.

This time last year this board would have been screaming at how the 2nd highest paid goalie(Bob) is on the decline and always hurt if he was a Flyer.

2013 .932
2014 .923
2015 .918
2016 .908

Hell...look at Mason in 1 year differences and the flak he is getting at $4.1 million:

2014 .917
2015 .928
2016 .918
2017 .908

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad