Speculation: Flyers need of a 3RW

rokkinman139

Jun 11, 2013
Skalica, Slovakia
There is a relatively large hole in the Flyers' depth chart prior to free agency, but I don't believe that free agency is the best way to fill it. They have four prospects with legitimate NHL upside (though their ceilings obviously vary), and even though Fletcher has been aggressive, he hasn't blocked up any of the roster that could realistically be filled by youth. Essentially, I'm just wondering what is out there for middle six wings on a shorter term deal and what returns they could potentially garner from Philadelphia.

Potential Depth Chart:

Giroux-Couturier-Konecny
JvR-Hayes-Voracek
Lindblom-Patrick-???
Raffl-Laughton-Pitlick

Prospects mentioned above: Frost, Farabee, Ratcliffe, Rubtsov

Other marginal/long-shot prospects to possibly fill spot in one/two years: Aube-Kubel, Vorobyev, Strome, Laberge, Laczynski, Kase, Allison

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Depending on what the Habs do in free agency I would think one of Shaw/Byron/Lehkonen/Armia would be available. Armia plays RW the Other 3 play both LW and RW interchangeabley.

IMO likelyhood of moving from most to least are as follows:
Lehkonen
Byron
Shaw
Armia

Don't know what the ask would be, If we can't include then in a package for a better player I'd probably want a boom/bust Lhd prospect/young roster player + a pick depending on the guy

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
My preference would be to sign Donskoi and call it a day, but if that's not an option, we could realistically package Robert Hagg and either our or Nashville's 4th this coming year, or a 3rd in 2021, for a credible option.

rokkinman139

Jun 11, 2013
Skalica, Slovakia
Depending on what the Habs do in free agency I would think one of Shaw/Byron/Lehkonen/Armia would be available. Armia plays RW the Other 3 play both LW and RW interchangeabley.

IMO likelyhood of moving from most to least are as follows:
Lehkonen
Byron
Shaw
Armia

Don't know what the ask would be, If we can't include then in a package for a better player I'd probably want a boom/bust Lhd prospect/young roster player + a pick depending on the guy
We legitimately have no true D prospects left. Morin would probably be the closest thing if you're looking for a LHD that would be available. Though his value around the league is probably at rock bottom. But he is French Canadian so who knows with Bergevin lol

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
We legitimately have no true D prospects left. Morin would probably be the closest thing if you're looking for a LHD that would be available. Though his value around the league is probably at rock bottom. But he is French Canadian so who knows with Bergevin lol

Don't let @Stizzle hear that. And yes we do have LHD...it's the next wave however:

York
Zamula
Kalynuk
Hogberg
Ginning
Bernhardt
Millman

As for the #3RW spot....just let a kid battle for that spot and if all fail, address it in late Sept/early Oct.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario

Honestly I could see the Habs taking a flyer on something like Morin + a pick (pick changes depending on the player) for one the of three not named Armia.

I'd probably do something like

Lehkonen + 4th or 5th
For
Morin+2nd

Or drop the picks from the habs and make the Philly pick a third.

Or

Byron+(late round pick)
For
Morin+2nd+(mid to late round pick)

Late round picks are for minor balancing with Philly's pick imo being a round or two early like a 5th from Philly and a sixth from Montreal etc.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
If the Flyers can't slot in Frost or Farabee in a cozy, semi-sheltered 3rd line wing situation, they are morons.

This is the same team that fired Ron Hextall because he wasn't open-minded enough to call-up Carter Hart and "give him a shot" but they can't give a hot shot, wiz kid like Frost a shot in a 3rd line role? Don't get me wrong, if the Flyers still had a ton of cap room, they could afford to be extra patient with the kids and spend for a real good UFA option on that line... but they don't.

Which UFA has the potential to be a gamebreaking forward, with young, fast legs, while making very little money? The Flyers top-6 are locked in stone and they could go with a "kid line" in Lindblom-Patrick-Frost and see how it shakes out. Worst case, by mid-Dec, Frost looks like he needs more seasoning, and you demote him and swing a trade with a team who has a 3rd line, short-term fix available.... there's always players like that who could be had for a 2nd or 3rd.

The Blues gave Thomas a shot last year and he panned out. The Flyers shouldn't waste a darn nickel on a 3rd line player until they give these kids a long look in camp. They also need to focus on their main priority... getting Provorov and Konecny locked up. Forget about spending on a so-so player like Armia, Shaw, Nyquist, etc.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
I Would like to see Farabee take the spot on merit. He reminds me of Gagne. Good one both ends and solid finisher. Intelligent player.

Other wise let Raffl, Laughton, Pitlick or Nic Aubel fight for those minutes until closer to Jan.
If they can’t sign someone like Donskoi in a good contract.

Listening to WIP this morning, Keith Jones thinks Simmer is a real possibility if he doesn’t get a good offer after July1. 3 year deal. Morganti says doesn’t make sense especially with JVR getting 1PP mins.

rokkinman139

Jun 11, 2013
Skalica, Slovakia
If the Flyers can't slot in Frost or Farabee in a cozy, semi-sheltered 3rd line wing situation, they are morons.
Problem is that our third line is more than likely going to face the second toughest matchups on the team. Lindblom and Patrick are both solid defensive forwards (via my eyes, don't have data) with Lindblom already being counted on to PK towards the end of the year. JvR-Hayes-Voracek is probably going to be, by far, the most sheltered line on the team. That's why I think Fletcher looks for another veteran option that can eat tough minutes.

rokkinman139

Jun 11, 2013
Skalica, Slovakia
I Would like to see Farabee take the spot on merit. He reminds me of Gagne. Good one both ends and solid finisher. Intelligent player.

Other wise let Raffl, Laughton, Pitlick or Nic Aubel fight for those minutes until closer to Jan.

Listening to WIP this morning, Keith Jones thinks Simmer is a real possibility if he doesn’t get a good offer after July1. 3 year deal. Morganti says doesn’t make sense especially with JVR getting 1PP mins.
Simmer on a three year deal? No thank you. One year as a nicety, maybe.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008

I don't want Simmer, but I think people may be surprised by how possible Simmer's return really is.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Well obviously York, but he's not going to be traded now. Every other one of those guys is three years away at the very least.
They are not all 3 years away for other teams.

Zamula-agreed
Kalynuk-could be 1 year away
Hogberg-playing in SHL now. Could be 1 year away
Ginning-see above
Bernhardt-see above
Millman-agreed

But again...I just let a kid play for that spot.

Actually....Leaf fans...Brown for Hagg?

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

mercury

Mar 10, 2003
South Philly/SoCal
Visit site

These are not 3rd line guys on a team that wants to make the playoffs this season. And Patrick's needs better linemates to help him develop.

Reactions: rokkinman139

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad