Flyers introduce new mascot named Gritty

Status
Not open for further replies.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
No.

I am saying I am fine to pretend this is a thing and play along until this stupid SOB dumps food on me at the arena :laugh:

Oh, because my version would be way cooler.

Seriously, though, a mascot steps on the line while interacting with fans of opposing teams. It seemed all in good humour, the opposing fans seemed to enjoy it, and it was popcorn, but I agree that the mascot has to really be cautious about this.

Reactions: Cellee

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
No.

I am saying I am fine to pretend this is a thing and play along until this stupid SOB dumps food on me at the arena :laugh:
The Rangers fans should just be relieved he only dumped popcorn on them because usually he would decapitate them and bring their heads back to his underground lair as souvenirs.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I think he's a great marketing stunt, credit to the Flyers on this but I'm not a fan of him accosting fans of other teams.

I don't care if they are in your arena you don't physically touch opposing fans or dump food on them if you work in that arena.
[mod] When things like this happen with a visiting fan in the crowd they're either some team staffer planted in a jersey or they were approached and asked if they'd play along.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014

Seriously, though, a mascot steps on the line while interacting with fans of opposing teams. It seemed all in good humour, the opposing fans seemed to enjoy it, and it was popcorn, but I agree that the mascot has to really be cautious about this.
Yeah, anything that can stain, no. :laugh:

Reactions: BernieParent

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park

I know MeLVin at Phantoms games does a similar gag. Im 90% sure one of the handlers talks to the people first to make sure its okay. I used to work event staff, ive seen communication between staff and fans prior and post popcorn. It's all in the name of fun. People are just happy to be involved and on the big screen.

Helistin

Dustin's equilibrium
Aug 12, 2006
Close to you
This could ignite some friendly competition with other teams so they could also start introducing even crappier mascots.
Looking forward to it.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
Please HF... Please please please. Can we just keep this thread going forever. Sticky It and call It the Temple of Gritty or something ... anything. It can be the repository for all things mascot. Even as a Pens fan I never want this thread to die. :laugh:
Yes, please sticky.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I know MeLVin at Phantoms games does a similar gag. Im 90% sure one of the handlers talks to the people first to make sure its okay. I used to work event staff, ive seen communication between staff and fans prior and post popcorn. It's all in the name of fun. People are just happy to be involved and on the big screen.

For sure, the pro mascots can pull this off and probably even check first with the target fan(s). But it just takes one wrong encounter and the mascot is labeled for a good long while.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
It is so bad its good... The sheer weirdness actually makes it almost instantly iconic.

Honestly, this is actually getting news coverage and giving the Flyers exposure on the news and talk-shows so "Gritty" is definitely a plus for the Flyers.

Reactions: Devonator

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
For sure, the pro mascots can pull this off and probably even check first with the target fan(s). But it just takes one wrong encounter and the mascot is labeled for a good long while.

If something went wrong and Gritty ended up stabbing someone I think the local authorities would just shrug.

Reactions: Cellee

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
Who ever named the guy must have had some form of dyslexia. The first two letters should be reversed and shifted up one letter in the alphabet. R to S and G to H.

Reactions: PredsV82

Bruckuss

FML & FCF
Apr 1, 2012
Not Toronto
Does anyone else want to see the Flyers and Gritty do something similar to what Carlton The Bear did a few years ago.

If gritty does anything remotely along these lines, it will be a) entertaining and b) sponsored by depends because people are likely to lose their s#1+

Carlton is a teddy bear, who kids love.

Gritty is a monster, who twisted adults love lol

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
tenor.gif

I just ordered a Gritty t-shirt. #noregrets

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events