Flyers introduce new mascot named Gritty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eat The Rich

Jun 17, 2017
I've held off on saying anything at all about Gritty up until now, but I think it's excellent. Mascots don't need to make sense as far as I'm concerned. Toronto has a polar bear, Ottawa has a weird.. cat.. thing.. What the hell is Youppi even supposed to be?

The Flyers and Flyers fans have always been a little crazy. Gritty looks crazy. At least it fits on some level.

That doesn't even begin to touch on the marketing aspect either. IMO mainstream media these days has been essentially reduced to a meme, which is also pretty much what Gritty is. Look at the buzz it's already generated after 5 days. He's already a celebrity, and people love their celebrities.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
I read an article complaining about his ''toxic masculinity'' and love him even more now than I already did.

Thought that one was a litte tongue-in-cheek, but yeah (it's some Philly-born writer penning for The Guardian, just tryna get his clicks, he's making an ineffective joke).

Gritty combines mainstrean meme culture with Philly's thirst for resentment and cult-hero lovable losers. It doesn't hurt that we live in a particularly divisive, distressing time in domestic affairs, and he's a delightful diversion from the seriousness of most people's social feeds.

The character is right for his own market, and he was introduced in a time that could use a bit of (relatively) innocent, imaginative fun. Even the people complaining that they hate Gritty or he's stupid or they're sick of him are kind of getting something out of it: If he's what's pissing you off today, your day can't be all that bad.

Also, we have the "NHL Players Have No Personalities!" threads here every couple of days it seems, and I just watched Shea Theodore mumble 3 empty sentences in an intermission "interview." Gritty brings a bit of personality and humor to a pretty stodgy league. He's a mascot, but he's a girlfriend-stealin', opposing-fan-fightin', t-shirt-gun-totin', hip-thrustin' maniac of a mascot.

Last edited:

HabsInsider

Buy XRP.
Mar 2, 2013
Gritty Exposed: The Truth About Philly's New Mascot

There's a new mascot on the scene in Philadelphia. No big deal, right? Yet, many of us are left wondering -- who or what is 'Gritty,' and what does he/it represent?

InOrOutOnGritty_AP_Ringer.jpg

Gritty is the type of creature that would have terrified you as a child, and perhaps even as an adult. His appearance alone has caused some people to experience feelings of panic, anxiety and outright fear.

One look into his soulless, bugged out eyes and you can discern Gritty is completely amoral and driven only by basic instinct and raw impulse. He's the type of mascot who more than shares your enthusiasm for hockey, but would attempt to eat your child at the slightest indication of hunger. He is more beast than man.

giphy.gif

It has been surmised that Gritty is a genetically modified, human-animal hybrid, cultivated in an advanced laboratory using genetic material from Yukon Cornelius and the Abominable Snowman. Others suspect the use of DNA from players active during the Broad Street Bullies era.

tenor.gif

What has resulted is a mascot that strikes fear into the hearts of men. However, many consider Gritty to be a blasphemous, wretched monstrosity -- an absolute abomination before God Almighty.

----

Continue with this theme.

Benedict Kovalchuk

Kovalchuk: A spy?
Jul 19, 2011
CASCADIA NOW
I think that is too rough a take on Gritty. I've viewed him as a proud embodiment of Philly's blue collar background. First president of Flyer's mascots, then president of the US. Gritty 2020 y'all.

Reactions: sabremike

Talonted

Dec 9, 2010
Back in 1969 Oscar was unemployed, broke, and desperate to make a dollar. He was asked by his brother Gritty to drive him to a Sesame Street audition for $5 and accepted.
Gritty had graduated Magna cum laude from the prestigious Yale school of drama and had rehearsed his lines for the character "Grumpy" so well he could repeat them backwards.
As Oscar pulled up to the building to let Gritty out he suddenly felt the urge to urinate. Now Oscar had HORRIBLE kidney stones so he knew what was coming. He threw the car in park and as Gritty was getting out he got out as well. Gritty asked, "Where are you going?!" and Oscar replied "I'VE GOTTA PISS NOT A DAMN THING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT" and ran up the stairs into the building.
Oscar found the washroom and burst into a stall and began the slow painful process of urinating and disregarding what the other person in the washroom might think he let out a tirade of cuss words filled with anger. Suddenly he heard the other person in the washroom giggle. Oscar got angry and yelled out, "WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU ARE GIGGLING AT ME?!" and the person replied, "I"m Jim Henson and can always respect an actor who uses every available second before an audition to hone his skills..."
Meanwhile Gritty was dutifully waiting for his brother outside of the washroom and could hear every word. His heart sank lower and lower as Jim talked to Oscar about how he had thought he wanted a "Grumpy" but was now more intrigued by a "Grouchy" character instead due to Oscar's antics. As Gritty heard Jim Henson say, "You know what Oscar, I'm going to hire you on the spot as Oscar the Grouch and everyone who was going to audition for "Grumpy" might be well, GRUMPY as they will be told their audition are cancelled!"
latest

Gritty ran.
And ran.
And ran.
Gritty hid in his small apartment for 49 years making a living knitting socks and mittens from his beard trimmings until finally his big break came.
The Philadelphia Flyers were looking for a mascot and were paying $3500 per year!
Gritty grew his beard out, auditioned, and finally after 4 years at Yale and $175,000 in tuition spent, he was a somebody.

CalderSchmalder

Jul 26, 2009
Vancouver
Back in 1969 Oscar was unemployed, broke, and desperate to make a dollar. He was asked by his brother Gritty to drive him to a Sesame Street audition for $5 and accepted.
Gritty had graduated Magna *** laude from the prestigious Yale school of drama and had rehearsed his lines for the character "Grumpy" so well he could repeat them backwards.
As Oscar pulled up to the building to let Gritty out he suddenly felt the urge to urinate. Now Oscar had HORRIBLE kidney stones so he knew what was coming. He threw the car in park and as Gritty was getting out he got out as well. Gritty asked, "Where are you going?!" and Oscar replied "I'VE GOTTA PISS NOT A DAMN THING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT" and ran up the stairs into the building.
Oscar found the washroom and burst into a stall and began the slow painful process of urinating and disregarding what the other person in the washroom might think he let out a tirade of cuss words filled with anger. Suddenly he heard the other person in the washroom giggle. Oscar got angry and yelled out, "WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU ARE GIGGLING AT ME?!" and the person replied, "I"m Jim Henson and can always respect an actor who uses every available second before an audition to hone his skills..."
Meanwhile Gritty was dutifully waiting for his brother outside of the washroom and could hear every word. His heart sank lower and lower as Jim talked to Oscar about how he had thought he wanted a "Grumpy" but was now more intrigued by a "Grouchy" character instead due to Oscar's antics. As Gritty heard Jim Henson say, "You know what Oscar, I'm going to hire you on the spot as Oscar the Grouch and everyone who was going to audition for "Grumpy" might be well, GRUMPY as they will be told their audition are cancelled!"
latest

Gritty ran.
And ran.
And ran.
Gritty hid in his small apartment for 49 years making a living knitting socks and mittens from his beard trimmings until finally his big break came.
The Philadelphia Flyers were looking for a mascot and were paying $3500 per year!
Gritty grew his beard out, auditioned, and finally after 4 years at Yale and $175,000 in tuition spent, he was a somebody.
tldr

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
The marketing person who pitched and pushed through the Gritty idea needs to get a raise - big time. A genius move from a marketing/pr perspective.

Within a couple weeks hes the most famous mascot in the world with a tongue in cheek appeal now.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Thought that one was a litte tongue-in-cheek, but yeah (it's some Philly-born writer penning for The Guardian, just tryna get his clicks, he's making an ineffective joke).

Gritty combines mainstrean meme culture with Philly's thirst for resentment and cult-hero lovable losers. It doesn't hurt that we live in a particularly divisive, distressing time in domestic affairs, and he's a delightful diversion from the seriousness of most people's social feeds.

The character is right for his own market, and he was introduced in a time that could use a bit of (relatively) innocent, imaginative fun. Even the people complaining that they hate Gritty or he's stupid or they're sick of him are kind of getting something out of it: If he's what's pissing you off today, your day can't be all that bad.

Also, we have the "NHL Players Have No Personalities!" threads here every couple of days it seems, and I just watched Shea Theodore mumble 3 empty sentences in an intermission "interview." Gritty brings a bit of personality and humor to a pretty stodgy league. He's a mascot, but he's a girlfriend-stealin', opposing-fan-fightin', t-shirt-gun-totin', hip-thrustin' maniac of a mascot.
The Guardian explains it all.....

Reactions: God Bless Mr Coffee

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
Am I reading your post right by thinking you would expect to find nobody in Gritty's "costume" when you pull it apart?

No.

I am saying I am fine to pretend this is a thing and play along until this stupid SOB dumps food on me at the arena :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad