Confirmed with Link: Flyers Hire Dave Hakstol as Head Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Are you aware that Jakes production at ES dating back like 70 or so games, is absolutely pathetic? That was all at RW.

Not sure why you're so hell bent against TRYING him on LW. It can't hurt, because he is not producing at RW..like at all.

Jake may have an easier time entering the zone with possesion on the LW since he will be able to keep the puck to the outside on his forehand, instead of backhand.

Simmonds doesn't receive passes well or pass well on his back hand, which he would need to be able to do playing LW. He is good off the rush on the LW when he is already carrying the puck. That's about it.

I don't know how to look at game logs from last year but I am pretty confident this is an exaggeration. You think the second half of his last season was pathetic?

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
1-10-15 Boston at Philly is near 41 games back.

From that point, doing fast because I'm in a hurry:

6goals 32points

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
2g/19a at ES and -26 over the past 78 games.

Giroux has 13g, 9a, 22p in that same timespan... Simmonds leads the team with 25p at 5v5 in that span. No-one can score at 5v5 (though they are better in terms of chance creation this year)... mainly as our defense cannot move a puck up ice.

At 5v5 Jake is -5 in that time.

15 of the - came when the goalie was pulled and on the PP!

Another great example of why +/- sucks is that Giroux is -5 on the year... but in +2 at 5v5!

+/- on a team that is bad, but not bad enough to be blown out often, destoys +/-, especially through EN goals against!

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It makes perfect sense to separate 5x5, PP and SH situations.
Different skills and different metrics to measure performance.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Its going to be fun to see how well this organization will do when Hakstol is able to ice better talent than he has now. If the defense can play this well with what is on the roster now, its going to be quite good when Morin, Sanheim, Hagg and Provorov are playing. The same is true up front. Shedding Vinny, Umberger, Gagner and a few other underperforming costly contracts and adding NAK, Konecny and a few other guys us going to be a tremendous improvement. There's a lot to like for the future in Flyerland.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
Its going to be fun to see how well this organization will do when Hakstol is able to ice better talent than he has now. If the defense can play this well with what is on the roster now, its going to be quite good when Morin, Sanheim, Hagg and Provorov are playing. The same is true up front. Shedding Vinny, Umberger, Gagner and a few other underperforming costly contracts and adding NAK, Konecny and a few other guys us going to be a tremendous improvement. There's a lot to like for the future in Flyerland.

I was going to post something similar today. It's clear he's installed a better defensive system. Once we add some speed and some higher hockey IQ (aka less mistakes, especially defensively) this could be a great team. I know he likes defensive players to take chances, can pinch in and carry the play...he doesn't really have that with some of these guys, but it's working so far.

His personnel usage is still frustrating. But he's getting results from the slop he's throwing out there.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It's not just Sanheim, most of the players they've added the last few years will fit well.
Provorov - mobile defenseman
Morin - big mobile defenseman
Myers - big mobile defenseman
Friedman - smaller mobile defenseman
Konecny - fast playmaker (will have to be paired with a mucker)
Leier - fast forechecker type (needs to get stronger)
AK - fast scorer with the size to go into corners
Goulbourne - fast forechecker
Lindblom - average speed, but high IQ, toughess, playmaking skills
Fazleev - similar to Lindblom
Cousins - center with decent speed, good ice vision

There aren't a lot of players in the pipeline with below average speed if any, the range seems to be average to top speed, there's some size but not the immobile hulks that Homer used to like to mix in.

I think because Hakstol requires system discipline, they'll primarily build from within, teaching prospects the "Flyer way," and go outside only to patch holes or if a player is a really good fit. I sure hope they avoid the churn that characterized this team the last two decades - as we've seen, even mediocre talent executing this scheme properly can be competitive - if you could get good talent a couple years playing together they could be deadly.

WastedTalent

who is lord stanley?
Mar 22, 2011
your mind
I have to say in my honest opinion, Hakstol has been extremely underwhelming and disappointing as well. His style I'm least concerned with as I think it could be a successful style over time, but good lord some of this guys O/D zone usage with players as well as some of his lineup decisions have been really disappointing. Not to mention the amount of ice time some guys are/aren't getting...I appreciate how hard the Vdv-Bellemare-White line works on a daily basis but he's really counting on them way too much.

How's everybody feel roughly halfway through his first season?

Obviously there can be adjustments made but there's too much glaring negative for me to be excited about him right now

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
He's a coach with a terribly mediocre roster getting mediocre results. I don't always like his methods, but he's done about all you can expect for a coach in his position.

WastedTalent

who is lord stanley?
Mar 22, 2011
your mind
Well for the reasons I laid out, he really hasn't done all you can expect from a coach in his position.

In what world does a line of Vandevelde-Bellemare-White get as much ozone starts as they do while on the flipside your best offensive player in Giroux getting about half of his starts in the dzone? That's not good coaching

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
i said it early in the season, if the flyers miss the POs by a wide margin, eliminated early. and continue to look flat and lackluster. i predict the coach wont survive the off season...

i still beleive it..

Hakstol needs more NHL seasoning..i dont think the Flyers have the patience to wait for him to come around.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Well for the reasons I laid out, he really hasn't done all you can expect from a coach in his position.

In what world does a line of Vandevelde-Bellemare-White get as much ozone starts as they do while on the flipside your best offensive player in Giroux getting about half of his starts in the dzone? That's not good coaching

Giroux is the only guy who can win faceoffs. Having him start in the defensive zone, with the other centre options the Flyers currently have, is one of the least concerns I have.

His usage of Bellemare's line is questionable, given how much ice time they get, but I sure would rather Giroux take the faceoffs in the defensive zone over Bellemare.

WastedTalent

who is lord stanley?
Mar 22, 2011
your mind
Giroux is the only guy who can win faceoffs. Having him start in the defensive zone, with the other centre options the Flyers currently have, is one of the least concerns I have.

His usage of Bellemare's line is questionable, given how much ice time they get, but I sure would rather Giroux take the faceoffs in the defensive zone over Bellemare.

Very fair point, but at the same time there's no reason to throw out Bellemare in the offensive zone at the crazy rate that he does. If you'd rather have Giroux always taking defensive zone faceoffs then fine, why not let Laughton or Couturier's line have a go in the offensive zone?

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA
Very fair point, but at the same time there's no reason to throw out Bellemare in the offensive zone at the crazy rate that he does. If you'd rather have Giroux always taking defensive zone faceoffs then fine, why not let Laughton or Couturier's line have a go in the offensive zone?

Because Laughton has been underwhelming so far. You see flashes of what he can be, but he isn't able to carry his deadweight wingers offensively or defensively like Couturier used to. I'm not saying he won't be a good player (as I think he'll eventually become a solid, middle-6 winger), but he won't be a difference maker on either end of the ice.

WastedTalent

who is lord stanley?
Mar 22, 2011
your mind
Because Laughton has been underwhelming so far. You see flashes of what he can be, but he isn't able to carry his deadweight wingers offensively or defensively like Couturier used to. I'm not saying he won't be a good player (as I think he'll eventually become a solid, middle-6 winger), but he won't be a difference maker on either end of the ice.

I know Laughton's been underwhelming but how about trying to spark the kid a little bit? The point isn't about the players specifically though, it's the coaches decisions with how they're used and when they're used which I'm worried about with him

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hakstol is trying to coach a team that is full of players that don't fit what he wants to do, he knows Hextall can't make the moves that are needed right now, and that he probably needs to replace 5-6 forwards and 3-4 defensemen to field a team that can actually run his scheme.

So relax, this year is about development, identification and clearing salary.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
well, it took him long enough to realize that the only player on the entire roster that has chemistry with B.Schenn is Couturier, so hopefully he'll leave them together once and for all. enough with all the constant line changing, we all see it, he should too. Schenn belongs on Couts' RW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad