Confirmed with Link: Flyers have re-signed F Jason Akeson to a one-year, two-way contract

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I think this is a pretty good assessment of Akeson, and to be honest a lot of guys have fallen into this weird category. Skilled guys that aren't good enough to take up a top 6 spot but don't provide the qualities of a bottom 6er either.

See I don't agree with this. He was good with Read and Couts in the playoffs.

He has 5 points in 9 NHL games while 7 of those games are on out shutdown line.

Nick Bonino started last year on the 4th line and as a PP guy. He then worked his way up. We had a 4th line that often we only wanted to play against other teams 4th lines...and still lost the matchup. I see nothing wrong with having skill on every line as opposed to the old thinking of a guy like Rinaldo and Rosehill playing.

I want us to give him a REAL chance to show what he can do over time. Who knows, he might surprise us.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
If Akeson's defense was good enough for him to on our shutdown line in the playoffs, maybe it's good enough for him to at least be on the 4th line in the regular season. Keeping hold of the puck is the best form of defense, and in that aspect of the game Akeson >>>>>>>>>>>>> Rinaldo.

Grare

Registered Factor
Nov 15, 2013

Nick Bonino started last year on the 4th line and as a PP guy. He then worked his way up. We had a 4th line that often we only wanted to play against other teams 4th lines...and still lost the matchup. I see nothing wrong with having skill on every line as opposed to the old thinking of a guy like Rinaldo and Rosehill playing.

I want us to give him a REAL chance to show what he can do over time. Who knows, he might surprise us.

I agree, just because he's on our "shutdown" line, doesn't mean he can't be there to create offense as well.
Matt Read has a hell of a shot, and Akeson does a good job getting him the puck. Becomes more of a "shutdown" line, that can score.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
How is that possible? Wasn't his qualifying offer for like 700k?

Either way, I'm excited to have him back. The kid was thrown into some pretty tough minutes right off the bat in the playoffs, and he was clearly our second best player behind Voracek for most of the series. He doesn't have the pedigree, but that shouldn't mean he doesn't have the potential. He just needs some opportunity. He's also a guy who can be tossed on a lot of different line combos, and I'm a fan of anybody who gives us more lineup flexibility.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
The cheaper the better because it increases his chances to stay with the team! Seems like Akeson took the theoretical pay-cut because they promised to keep him around and give him a fair shot at camp.

Mylec 22

Jun 2, 2010
Very happy about this. I've liked everything I've seen from him. He performed very well during the playoffs and looked pretty composed for the most part. If he picks up where he left off in the playoffs, he'll do just fine. I believe he'll be here for a while.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia

I know he looked good on our shutdown line with read and coots, but he was the weaklink on defense on that line and one of best parts about that line on offense. He looked out of place on d .

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
at that low a price...for sure he is on the team. Too cheap not to have on the roster. I think he gets 38 points this year.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
How was Akeson's D on the Phantoms?

He worked his ass off to improve it. I would say average to abit above average. He isnt the fastest guy but is a smart player which helps him defensively.

Lets just say in the beginning...it was atrocious.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
He worked his ass off to improve it. I would say average to abit above average. He isnt the fastest guy but is a smart player which helps him defensively.

Lets just say in the beginning...it was atrocious.

That's good to hear. I'm thinking that perhaps some training camp time with Couturier and Read would help Akeson look more integrated into their line's defense.

fauxflex

Sep 5, 2009
....The negatives are his size because you could tell he was just over powered a lot out there so a full NHL season would not be kind to him. Which is why I would have him as one of the top call ups that way he doesn't have to play the whole season and it will keep him fresh.

Any smallish player breaking into the league has to prove he can withstand the physical game, and many have done just that. I thought Akeson bounced back well from the physical stuff they were trying on him. When he got knocked down, he got right up and made a concerted effort to get right back to it, sometimes with even more determination. That's what you want to see imo. Also, I think having three years of seasoning in the AHL (against men), where he led the team in points each year, should tell you he shouldn't have a problem adapting his game (to the NHL). We'll see.

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
If he's given power play time, I could see him breaking 40 points if he plays a full 82 games, although I see him missing quite a few with injuries.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Please this is akeson make or break season I say he isn't resigned after this year.

It more than likely is, he's 24 & has to clear waivers to get sent down at this point. If he doesn't make the team out of camp I would imagine he's traded by Hextall to get something back because I can't see him clearing waivers.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
If he's given power play time, I could see him breaking 40 points if he plays a full 82 games, although I see him missing quite a few with injuries.

He should be running the 2nd PP unit from the left boards like Giroux does on the top unit.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
I still want to see Giroux play the full two minutes, but I'm not holding my breath for that to ever happen. I'll settle for Akeson running the left side on PP2, though in that case I would like to run more of a traditional umbrella than the hybrid overload we see on PP1.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
Any local articles or interviews about him resigning and commenting on the contract details? Him taking 575,000$ is a big deal and commitment to the team. I'd be interested to hear his reasoning.

RJ8812*

Any local articles or interviews about him resigning and commenting on the contract details? Him taking 575,000$ is a big deal and commitment to the team. I'd be interested to hear his reasoning.

taking a lower cap hit makes it easier for him to stay up with the Flyers. They probably told him they'll take care of him next season if he has a good year

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
I would gather as much but it'd be interesting to hear his take on it. Good for him doing everything possible to make the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad