Confirmed with Link: Flyers have re-signed F Jason Akeson to a one-year, two-way contract

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
It does make him more likely to be utilized. Friendly cap hit on a cap tight team. Perhaps a gamble to make him into an NHL player by default and increase his value

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I think this is a pretty good assessment of Akeson, and to be honest a lot of guys have fallen into this weird category. Skilled guys that aren't good enough to take up a top 6 spot but don't provide the qualities of a bottom 6er either.

I think we thought that before about Akeson, but should no longer.

I consider Couturier/Read to be the 2nd line, so that's where Akeson would fit in. But he should be fine playing 12 minutes on the 3rd line as well.

Akeson is also still RFA, and arbitration-eligible.

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
If he does make the team I would like him on the 2nd/3rd line with Simmonds and a center to be named. He would get easier minutes on that line and he is really good with the puck to help them out on the offensive side of things.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
If we still have Lecavelier on the team I'd like to see a line of Akeson-Lecavelier-Simmonds, might be the best way to utilize him.

Then the lines would look like

Schenn-Giroux-Voracek
Umberger-Couturier-Read
Akeson-Lecavelier-Simmonds
Bellemare-Laughton-Raffl

Looks good to me.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
If we still have Lecavelier on the team I'd like to see a line of Akeson-Lecavelier-Simmonds, might be the best way to utilize him.

Then the lines would look like

Schenn-Giroux-Voracek
Umberger-Couturier-Read
Akeson-Lecavelier-Simmonds
Bellemare-Laughton-Raffl

Looks good to me.

Akeson-Vinny-Simmonds line would be hemmed in our zone for the entire shift everytime that line is sent out there.

I think something more like

Read-Couts-Simmonds
Umberger-Vinny-Akeson

It gives you at least one competent player on the wing defensively on that line and Akeson really only saw time at RW during his stint last year. Still not to sure if he makes it or not on the team.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Akeson-Vinny-Simmonds line would be hemmed in our zone for the entire shift everytime that line is sent out there.

I think something more like

Read-Couts-Simmonds
Umberger-Vinny-Akeson

It gives you at least one competent player on the wing defensively on that line and Akeson really only saw time at RW during his stint last year. Still not to sure if he makes it or not on the team.

The way I'm thinking, if Lecavelier doesn't at least get some of his form back then they'll be stuck in their zone anyway, but if he can get back to normal then they should be fine. Akeson is basically mini-Giroux and I think that's the type of player Lecavelier and Simmonds need to be playing with if they're going to be useful at 5v5. Honestly, either lineup is fine though, as long as Schenns on the 1st line and Read+Couturier are still together I'm happy... everything else is interchangeable.

tuckrr

Nov 28, 2008
Yeah I think Vinny has a much better year this season.
Barring another unlucky injury of course.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad