News Article: Flyers GM Hextall: Changes could be coming soon

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
It's true that 3rd line centers can be signed in free agency but the combination of speed, youth, potential and all on a cap-friendly ELC is hard to beat. Laughton will never be an All-Star player in this league but he is already better than most overprized, washed-up Vets that would apply for the job.

Oh for sure. That's what I'm saying. I'd rather deal Schenn than Laughton for that reason. Schenn first off holds more value, and second off will be easier to replace. Not a knock on Schenn at all, but if we are liquidating assets, then I'd get rid of him before Laughton.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
In fairness you also have taylor Leier and Travis Sanheim from the Mark Grieg's area too. Fazleev also looks promising.

true but the Klotz pick was unforgivable. probably can say the same for Goulbourne who I really don't think will be qualified. every scout has swings and misses but those 2 are really, really bad ones. there is no sugar coating it at all.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
true but the Klotz pick was unforgivable. probably can say the same for Goulbourne who I really don't think will be qualified. every scout has swings and misses but those 2 are really, really bad ones. there is no sugar coating it at all.

I think Klotz pick is very forgivable. It was a third round pick in a ****** draft. Look at the players drafted in that area. The only somewhat decent NHLer is Yannick Weber. While it is by no means a good pick. It is in fact, a very, very bad, awful pick. But it is 100% forgivable. A more "upsetting" selection to me would be Kempe several picks ahead of Jamie Benn.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
The Klotz pick is overstated alot around here. DFF is right that there were no other nhl caliber players drafted where he was.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Honestly, I think we're in really good hands when it comes to drafting with Hextall as the GM and Homer with his eyes on things. Even with Klotz, Homer has been a pretty good drafter, he just hated 2nd rounders.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I think Klotz pick is very forgivable. It was a third round pick in a ****** draft. Look at the players drafted in that area. The only somewhat decent NHLer is Yannick Weber. While it is by no means a good pick. It is in fact, a very, very bad, awful pick. But it is 100% forgivable. A more "upsetting" selection to me would be Kempe several picks ahead of Jamie Benn.

Drayson Bowman
Robert Bortuzzo
Nick Palmieri
Joakim Andersson
Corey Tropp

All 3rd rounders taken after that awful pick

all those guys were good enough to make a NHL roster. Klotz cant even stick to a AHL roster. Are these guys star players? nope, but they are serviceable players. Something that Klotz isn't. So yes to me and to quite a few others it is a unforgivable pick.
I really don't want to derail the thread any further. So this is the last I will talk about The Klotz.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Evgeny Dadonov is also a pretty darn good player... puts up points, surprisingly willing to take the body, fast and nifty.

He actually came over, started to look pretty good in the NHL, Dineen came in, he got injured, seemingly gave him little chance in the top 6 when healthy and then he got traded and decided he would rather play 1st line minutes in the KHL than.

He likely never had 'the fire' to succeed in the NHL, but had he been in an organisation with a winning culture who knows if he would have bailed at his first chance?

He would have been a better pick than Klotz thats for sure...

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Alex Killorn, Alec Martinez, and Dwight King are decent NHLers.

Killorn I missed when looking at the draft. He's probably the best guy from that area, but even he went 11 spots later. Again, the pick was terrible. No argument here. But unforgivable? Hardly.

Drayson Bowman
Robert Bortuzzo
Nick Palmieri
Joakim Andersson
Corey Tropp

All 3rd rounders taken after that awful pick

all those guys were good enough to make a NHL roster. Klotz cant even stick to a AHL roster. Are these guys star players? nope, but they are serviceable players. Something that Klotz isn't. So yes to me and to quite a few others it is a unforgivable pick.
I really don't want to derail the thread any further. So this is the last I will talk about The Klotz.

Those players are all very much dime-a-dozen players, some of which are not even in the NHL/AHL anymore. I'm not defending the pick at all. It was not a good pick. It was an awful pick. But unforgivable to me would be like taking Ryan Leaf instead of Peyton Manning. If you take a guy who absolutely sucks and never makes the NHL instead of a guy who barely cracks an NHL lineup (or never cracks an NHL lineup), it is silly to be so devastated. Unless they picked Jamie Benn, Killorn, or Martinez with that pick, the other player chosen would in almost all certainty be on the Phantoms, or just filling a warm body spot on the Flyers until they can find someone better. And simply not picking Klotz does not mean they would have picked one of the other three (obviously not Benn since they passed on him two more times in that draft).

Bad pick, for sure. Worth complaining about seven years later? Probably not.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Not taking Bjorkstrand when he was supposedly the highest ranked player left on their board brought all the bad feelings about Klotz flooding back.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
What hurts more is passing over duclair after our close connections to the Q

I doubt he would have been in play anyway. The Flyers are pretty big on character & Duclair had question marks about that during his draft year. Him & Erne both were first round talents heading into the year & both dropped after clashing with Roy during the season as well as not having the greatest of seasons.

GingerFetish

Feb 26, 2013
@tpanotchCSN

Hextall came into media room looking rather glum. "We're in 25th place in the league and I'm supposed to come in all fricking cheery..."

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
@tpanotchCSN

Hextall came into media room looking rather glum. "We're in 25th place in the league and I'm supposed to come in all fricking cheery..."

29th and he'd have to hide that ****-eating grin

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
How have people not figured out yet that the problem is the mentality of the selection? You don't draft a guy that only tops out as a fourth liner with a top 90 selection in the draft... period.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad