News Article: Flyers GM Hextall: Changes could be coming soon

shipwreck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sep 7, 2011
Texas
Flyers GM Hextall: Changes could be coming soon

So what should be the plan moving toward the season's second half?

Deal a handful of veterans for draft picks before the March 2 trade deadline, and promote some players from the Phantoms. And if that causes more losses than usual, so be it. The kids will be gaining experience, and it will improve the Flyers' lottery chances.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports...GM_Hextall__Changes_could_be_coming_soon.html

blinds

Jan 5, 2012
Not that they're wrong that the players are underperforming, but it's interesting that Berube gets a complete pass. At what point is the coaching staff responsible? You'd think the complete collapse of the PK would fall at their feet.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
Not that they're wrong that the players are underperforming, but it's interesting that Berube gets a complete pass. At what point is the coaching staff responsible? You'd think the complete collapse of the PK would fall at their feet.

While I don't doubt the coaching staff is getting a bit of leeway here, I can't see Hextall going into next season with Berube if the team continue to plays like this. Everyone is at fault.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The GM can't really criticize the coaches unless he's ready to replace them.

McNasty

Jan 20, 2007
Rutgers

I feel like if Hextall is trying to light a fire under the players' ass he isn't going to point any criticism at Berube whether it's justified or not.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
The GM can't really criticize the coaches unless he's ready to replace them.

Yea there is no surprise here. And with a few big names likely being availabe this offseason there is no reason to call out the coach.

We are already and good drafting club and I think the Hartnell trade has its pluses and minuses so this trade deadline is going to speak a lot to hextalls skills as a GM. He appears to have a vision and he appears to be eradicated. Let's see what he does. If he makes the right moves he is setting up to be a really good GM. Bad moves and he is suboptimal. Big point in his career already.

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
I have a feeling there's going to be a player leaving that we all love.

Don't know if the trade will be a good trade or not, just worried that a fan favorite is on his way out

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
That's a pretty short list since G and Voracek won't be traded and no one likes the defense.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
I have a feeling there's going to be a player leaving that we all love.

Don't know if the trade will be a good trade or not, just worried that a fan favorite is on his way out

well, there is only 3 players i love: G, V, and Simmer. Everyone else has a price as far as Im concerned.

Schwarbomb

Howie Be Thy Name
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
"...But if we win 10 games in a row right now, we're not going to trade young players for older players to try to get incrementally better right now. We're staying on the right path."

orangecrush8

May 21, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
I love Simmonds but he's the guy someone would massively overpay for. People drool over power forwards. I don't want to trade him, but if the offer is good enough I'm definitely intrigued

Giroux and Voracek are the only guys off limits.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
We already know everything in that article.

Feels like it was written for those who casually follow the Flyers.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
If it's someone that other teams would seriously overpay to get then you probably shouldn't trade them...you want to keep those types of valuable players.

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
So how many is a handful, sounds like at least 3.
Coburn, man I have mixed feelings about that one. The most valuable name mentioned.
I don't know about this bringing up some phantoms idea. Laughton has been up and down like a yo-yo. But in fairness to him, this team is dysfunctional.
I understand his thinking on berube, he can't force the players to play better, it's in them or they are simply floaters. And I don't see floaters myself.i just don't care for the system he is using. He may say want them to play d first, but being structured, organized,teaching do not appear to on berubes menu. My former neighbour from humboldt sask, brad lauer is an assistant in Anaheim, and they have won 19 1 goal games. How. Proper systems, structure, teaching. Keep things simple.
Yah this is a very important time for hexy. I hope we make out well. If we do we are closer to the cup.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
So how many is a handful, sounds like at least 3.
Coburn, man I have mixed feelings about that one. The most valuable name mentioned.
I don't know about this bringing up some phantoms idea. Laughton has been up and down like a yo-yo. But in fairness to him, this team is dysfunctional.
I understand his thinking on berube, he can't force the players to play better, it's in them or they are simply floaters. And I don't see floaters myself.i just don't care for the system he is using. He may say want them to play d first, but being structured, organized,teaching do not appear to on berubes menu. My former neighbour from humboldt sask, brad lauer is an assistant in Anaheim, and they have won 19 1 goal games. How. Proper systems, structure, teaching. Keep things simple.
Yah this is a very important time for hexy. I hope we make out well. If we do we are closer to the cup.

Did Hextall even say the part with 'trading a handful Veterans' or was it just Sam Carchidid drawing implications while writing that piece? To me that is still unclear... might mean it's just speculation.

VanFlyer

Feb 18, 2007
get rid of the dead weight coach...

VERY first thing...

stop wasting time, just DO IT !!!

On the Philly.com article, a poster stated that Berube's contract is up at the end of the season. At this juncture, it really does not make much sense to release him now. Wait until the end of the year and see who is available.

I thought Babbcocks contract was up at the end of the year, but I have a hard time believing that a) he will leave detroit, b) be interested in a rehab project like the Flyers.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Wait as long as possible to make moves. As soon as we see Ghost and Hagg on this team we will start winning

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Keep the coach until the summer, get rid of whatever deadwood we can and just ride the fourth line to McDavidtown

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
I love Simmonds but he's the guy someone would massively overpay for. People drool over power forwards. I don't want to trade him, but if the offer is good enough I'm definitely intrigued

Giroux and Voracek are the only guys off limits.

I wouldn't move Mason either, but of the skaters there's only three or four I'd take off the table. G, V, Laughton and Couts. Keep the C spine in place, all others are available.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad