News Article: Flyers GM Hextall: Changes could be coming soon

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
If someone offers a massive overpayment for Simmonds take it... but it would have to be big.

Otherwise:

xxxxx-Giroux-Voracek
Schenn-Couturier-Simmonds
xxxxx-Laughton-xxxxx
xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx

Morin-Gostisbehere
Hagg-Sanheim
xxxxx-xxxxx

Mason
Stolarz

All those players apart from Simmonds should still be good enough for those slots in 7 years time... when the draft picks from 2015 will be ~25. There will be a 3 year window minimum and a ~5 year max where they should contend.

with legitimate potential for:

Forwards: Lindblom, Leier, Aube-Kubel, Fazleev and Cousins.
Defence: Alt, Vasiliev, Friedman and Willcox

to be NHLers...

solidify that by obtaining a 2nd and another 4th or something along those lines this year and we should really have another 3-5 legitimate prospects in the pipeline this time next year.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
^^^ A recent article (Meltzer?) stated GMs view the player is going to be what he is going to be by the 300 game mark. Couturier will hit that this season with B.Schenn nearly there. While I hope Schenn-Couturier-Simmonds is the future 2nd line, it makes you wonder (outside of Berube being an idiot) why that isn't a line already?

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Good thing for Vancouver they didn't ship the Sedins out for scraps after 300 games. They didn't even play in the league until they were 20 and didn't break out as 70+ point players till they were 25.

H - First 318 games, 146 points, 0.459 P/G
D - First 315 games, 151 points, 0.479 P/G

Now I don't think BSchenn or Couturier will ever be 70 point players, but it's interesting to look at their NHL stats in comparison considering that they started in the league as teenagers.

BSchenn - 231 games, 112 points, 0.485 P/G
Couturier - 244 games, 101 points, 0.414 P/G

Last edited:

Qyburn

Apr 2, 2012
Allentown
The good news is that forwards Vinny Lecavalier and R.J. Umberger have played much better lately and would help a playoff team down the stretch.
That's where I stopped reading. There might be a teeny tiny chance someone would be naive enough to take Umberger. I'd be shocked, but I'd chalk it up to a manager who's had people screaming in his ear all year about how his team desperately needs utility players.

Vinny? Not a ****ing chance. The scenery change argument won't work since he's already had one, and his new team started dreaming about buying him out almost as soon as he started playing for them, and has been dreaming it ever since. No one's dumb enough to lay a finger on that cancer, unfortunately.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
I've never been of fan of Carchidi's and this article doesn't say anything new (as some bloggers have pointed out). He's thinking outloud and even Hexy's quote contradict him on some of those (like him wanting to bring the kids up and let them play and Hexy saying later in the article he won't do that)

Carchidi's thoughts regarding Coburn, Vinnie and Umberger

If the Flyers can get around some no-movement clauses and somehow deal those three players, they would free $13.6 million in cap space for 2015-16.

That's a lot of bad 'If's Sam...
This illustrates how very little he cares to know about the NHL or the Flyers.
Coburn is the only one of the three that might get moved. Nobody is taking Umberger at 4.6 and slim to none that somebody wants Vinnie (even tho rumor around still that Preds might bite if the FLyers eat half of the contract)
That's what he doesn't say, that in order to move any of those 2 or say AMac's, you have to eat a good portion. The Flyers would not be getting 13.6 back.
Not too many teams with the CAP not going up much next year who are in a position to take on a contract for under performing players with that big price without the FLyers eating some of it and since the Flyers currently have only 2.9M in space (with 10 expiring contracts) even if somebody bit on Vinnie if the Flyers would retain some, they don't have room to. And it would then have to be a team that the player agrees to , thanks to the NMC. Vinnie turned down 2 over the summer.
IF a GM on a playoff team is asking, it will be for a good player with a good contract that can step in and be productive. And that might not be the ones that Hexy wants gone.
Hexy's got his work cut out for him, trying to untangle the knots in the CAP in the best way to move players , get picks and try to upgrade.

JustJim

Feb 20, 2012
Paignton,UK
It's halfway through this disastrous season and Hexy hasn't pulled the plug on this completely inadequate coaching staff. I agree with those who say that he can't speak critically about Berube unless he's about to make a change, but it's long overdo.
I just hope that he doesn't continue with the same Flyers stupidity by trading away prospects for over-the-hill veterans, just to make the playoffs. This "team" is no where near being a contender for the Stanley Cup. Trying to make the playoffs is just a way to vindicate the players who are on the current roster, and it is also a way to make more money through ticket sales for Ed Snider's franchise.
What they need to do is fire the entire coaching staff, and the scouts, then hire from outside the franchise and build a system that works in 2015 ice hockey.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Good thing for Vancouver they didn't ship the Sedins out for scraps after 300 games. They didn't even play in the league until they were 20 and didn't break out as 70+ point players till they were 25.

H - First 318 games, 146 points, 0.459 P/G
D - First 315 games, 151 points, 0.479 P/G

Now I don't think BSchenn or Couturier will ever be 70 point players, but it's interesting to look at their NHL stats in comparison considering that they started in the league as teenagers.

BSchenn - 231 games, 112 points, 0.485 P/G
Couturier - 244 games, 101 points, 0.414 P/G

Sedins aren't a great example. Their breakout year coincided with the 1st year out of the lockout when the game opened up from the clutch and grap, interference heavy game before it. Jakub Voracek is a better example of a guy who put it all together his 5th year in the league when he was close to a point per game player. However Voracek started playing at the place at the very end of his 4th season and into the playoffs. I personal think the 5th is really the bench mark year for all skaters. Expecting any kind of serious improvement after that is dreaming. Yes there are always a handful of exceptions like Knuble, but for the vast majority they are who they are at that point.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hextall had to wait for the team to tank before making moves, as long as they were playoff contenders (theoretically) they don't want to piss off the season ticket holders.

But when you're bad, you might as well be young, bad and hopeful than old, bad and hopeless. Problem is how to dump the 30+ year old veterans with big contracts. This is why they're looking at a 3 year rebuild, because it'll take that long to trade, play out or buy out those contracts and have enough cap room for flexibility, and for the young defensemen to arrive.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
It's halfway through this disastrous season and Hexy hasn't pulled the plug on this completely inadequate coaching staff. I agree with those who say that he can't speak critically about Berube unless he's about to make a change, but it's long overdo.
I just hope that he doesn't continue with the same Flyers stupidity by trading away prospects for over-the-hill veterans, just to make the playoffs. This "team" is no where near being a contender for the Stanley Cup. Trying to make the playoffs is just a way to vindicate the players who are on the current roster, and it is also a way to make more money through ticket sales for Ed Snider's franchise.
What they need to do is fire the entire coaching staff, and the scouts, then hire from outside the franchise and build a system that works in 2015 ice hockey.

What culpability do the scouts have in this mess? If anything, they should be getting raises for signing the high-quality prospects we are hoping to see very soon.

SchennSational1022*

I wouldn't move Mason either, but of the skaters there's only three or four I'd take off the table. G, V, Laughton and Couts. Keep the C spine in place, all others are available.

You would keep Laughton over BSchenn? Bizzare...

SchennSational1022*

If Berube is the coach next year I will drop my season tickets and stop watching the team, but firing the scouts is....something. The scouts we have do an excellent job, Nolet, Greig, Pryor Pattenson etc...

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
What did Eric cole fetch that year he was traded with a horrible contract. I see vinny or rj fetching similar

Doubtful.

Eric Cole had a 60 point season the year before the season he was traded. Bad contract and a player on his decline but not really comparable to the Lecavalier situation.

JustJim

Feb 20, 2012
Paignton,UK
If Berube is the coach next year I will drop my season tickets and stop watching the team, but firing the scouts is....something. The scouts we have do an excellent job, Nolet, Greig, Pryor Pattenson etc...

If the scouts are doing such a wonderful job, then why does this team look so damn bad? If the scouts have caused the Flyers to sign some decent players, where are they?

Mkoll

Inkvisiittori
Jul 5, 2008
New Brunswick, Canada
If the scouts are doing such a wonderful job, then why does this team look so damn bad? If the scouts have caused the Flyers to sign some decent players, where are they?

You do know scouts also scout draft eligible players too right? The entire farm system the Flyers have are because of the scouts.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

Ah yes, Mark Grieg, he of Tyrell Goulbourne and Garret Klotz being 'his picks' in the 3rd round of the draft.

Chris Pryor "no one plays like Zac Rinaldo."

Whoever the pro guy is over in Europe does a great job though. I'm not sure if it's Slansky or Sinisalo, but they produced Bobrovsky, Raffl, Bellemare.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
That quote from the article is a little misleading. It is clearly not a direct quote from Hextall, but perhaps Hextall intimated that this was the direction in which he wanted to go? Or is it Carchidi making a suggestion as to what he thinks they should or could do? Or is it Carchidi reading too much into the quote relating to the "changes" referenced by Hextall earlier in the story? Etiher way, I think the Flyers should listen to any and all offers on pretty much any and all players (with the exceptions of the obvious Guroux, Voracek, and Couturier, and maybe another player or two depending on your thoughts about them, like Laughton).

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Ah yes, Mark Grieg, he of Tyrell Goulbourne and Garret Klotz being 'his picks' in the 3rd round of the draft.

Whoever the pro guy is over in Europe does a great job though. I'm not sure if it's Slansky or Sinisalo, but they produced Bobrovsky, Raffl, Bellemare.

That's accurate. :laugh::help:

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010

In fairness you also have taylor Leier and Travis Sanheim from the Mark Grieg's area too. Fazleev also looks promising.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Who do you have in mind?

The main reason I don't want to trade BSchenn is because I don't think the return would be that high. If he can be a 50 point LW on a reasonable contract for us then I can live with the frustrating aspects of his game.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
You would keep Laughton over BSchenn? Bizzare...

I think I would too, and I'm a big B. Schenn fan. I think Laughton is just more valuable to this team (ATM anyway). Laughton looks like he's going to be able to handle the third-line center in a very good way, which should (in theory) give Couturier more offensive opportunities without missing out on the defense. Laughton is not Couturier defensively, but he appears to not be a slouch. Schenn looks like he is a fine second line LW, but unfortunately, at least at this point doesn't look like a true top line LW. He could eventually turn into that, but he also may be nothing more than a 2nd line LW, which is totally fine. The difference, I think, is that you could get a good haul for Schenn, and a second line LW is not something impossible to find in UFA, RFA, trade, or the draft. Laughton likely wouldn't get as big a return, and while a third line center is also not impossible to find, I think Laughton fills that role pretty will (or at least will in the very near future).

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
I think I would too, and I'm a big B. Schenn fan. I think Laughton is just more valuable to this team (ATM anyway). Laughton looks like he's going to be able to handle the third-line center in a very good way, which should (in theory) give Couturier more offensive opportunities without missing out on the defense. Laughton is not Couturier defensively, but he appears to not be a slouch. Schenn looks like he is a fine second line LW, but unfortunately, at least at this point doesn't look like a true top line LW. He could eventually turn into that, but he also may be nothing more than a 2nd line LW, which is totally fine. The difference, I think, is that you could get a good haul for Schenn, and a second line LW is not something impossible to find in UFA, RFA, trade, or the draft. Laughton likely wouldn't get as big a return, and while a third line center is also not impossible to find, I think Laughton fills that role pretty will (or at least will in the very near future).

It's true that 3rd line centers can be signed in free agency but the combination of speed, youth, potential and all on a cap-friendly ELC is hard to beat. Laughton will never be an All-Star player in this league but he is already better than most overprized, washed-up Vets that would apply for the job.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00