GDT: Flyers @ Devils, 7 PM, MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
And I'd hope we sit Cory tomorrow and let him sit on this performance, and put him back in there on Tuesday.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Cory's overall stellar career gives him lots of rope as it should.

He doesn't become gutter trash because he has gone through a bad patch with a **** team in front of him.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
Cory's overall stellar career gives him lots of rope as it should.

He doesn't become gutter trash because he has gone through a bad patch with a **** team in front of him.

Eh, him playing really well in past seasons does not excuse ****** play for the present season. Criticizing his horrible play is not saying he is gutter trash, it is just criticizing his play. He has been terrible for the majority of this season. Blaming the D in front of him doesn't change him giving up bad rebounds, going down to early, not reading the play correctly etc.

His relatively easy 16 save shutout tonight does not all of a sudden make the past stretch of horrible play on his end go away, nor does it impress me to the point of saying he is back to form and playing like the elite goalie he is. Am I happy he finally got a shutout? Yea, he didn't let in a weak goal like he has during games earlier in the year, especially when he was playing really well and blew a shutout with a weak goal.

Like I said, lets see him either get another one relatively soon or not let in 3+ goals for a stretch of play.

Glad they stopped the losing streak and glad they did so in convincing fashion against one of the hotter teams in the NHL that is also a a rival and also how they physically dealt with some of the Flyers and their chippy play.
Really impressed with how Wood keeps playing well. Happy that Zacha is starting to look better and still making small but smart plays on both ends of the ice. Really happy that Henrique was playing the way he was playing, from playing physical, scoring, getting multiple shots / shot attempts off. Glad Hall got a point, was happy Cammalleri scored and also put Manning down. Glad Palms scored and also was into it as well, especially at the end even though the game was over. Impressed the team shut down such a good offensive team and only allowed 16 shots against. Happy Schneider didn't let in a softy and finally got a shutout.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
The Flyers have only missed the playoffs three times since 1995 :amazed:

Once was just after the lockout when they had a horrendous season and got Hitch fired, the other two times were in the last four years.
Speaking of almost always making the postseason it's totally off topic but I mention it because I think you'd appreciate this: the Metrostars/Red Bulls have only missed the playoffs in 4 of their 21 seasons (98, 99, 02, 09). They have never failed to make it since RBA opened in 2010.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Eh, him playing really well in past seasons does not excuse ****** play for the present season. Criticizing his horrible play is not saying he is gutter trash, it is just criticizing his play. He has been terrible for the majority of this season. Blaming the D in front of him doesn't change him giving up bad rebounds, going down to early, not reading the play correctly etc.

His relatively easy 16 save shutout tonight does not all of a sudden make the past stretch of horrible play on his end go away, nor does it impress me to the point of saying he is back to form and playing like the elite goalie he is. Am I happy he finally got a shutout? Yea, he didn't let in a weak goal like he has during games earlier in the year, especially when he was playing really well and blew a shutout with a weak goal.

Like I said, lets see him either get another one relatively soon or not let in 3+ goals for a stretch of play.

Glad they stopped the losing streak and glad they did so in convincing fashion against one of the hotter teams in the NHL that is also a a rival and also how they physically dealt with some of the Flyers and their chippy play.
Really impressed with how Wood keeps playing well. Happy that Zacha is starting to look better and still making small but smart plays on both ends of the ice. Really happy that Henrique was playing the way he was playing, from playing physical, scoring, getting multiple shots / shot attempts off. Glad Hall got a point, was happy Cammalleri scored and also put Manning down. Glad Palms scored and also was into it as well, especially at the end even though the game was over. Impressed the team shut down such a good offensive team and only allowed 16 shots against. Happy Schneider didn't let in a softy and finally got a shutout.

Can we at least enjoy the fact Cory finally had a spotless game? :laugh: It's one thing to analyze the games he stinks, but this is the kind of stuff we read from the Marty critics when those teams actually did allow 16 shots in multiple games (or six against the Laffs in the playoffs). Plus if anyone NEEDED an easier game atm it was Cory. Maybe this gets him out of his slump.

Sixteen shots IS amazing for us though, I can't remember the last time we allowed that few. Generally we've allowed twice as many in almost every game this season.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Can we at least enjoy the fact Cory finally had a spotless game? :laugh: It's one thing to analyze the games he stinks, but this is the kind of stuff we read from the Marty critics when those teams actually did allow 16 shots in multiple games (or six against the Laffs in the playoffs). Plus if anyone NEEDED an easier game atm it was Cory. Maybe this gets him out of his slump.

Sixteen shots IS amazing for us though, I can't remember the last time we allowed that few. Generally we've allowed twice as many in almost every game this season.

You know we can't enjoy anything on this board. :laugh:

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York

I'm sure Philly playing the night before against the Caps had something to do with this but yeah, bolded for emphasis.

Cory has not been his usual self this season but last night was most likely the single game out of 33 this season where the team really clamped down and played a solid defensive game in front of their goaltender. The Cory bashing has been out of control this season, imho. Yes, he has been struggling, but I just can't understand how this is a surprise to anyone or how a goaltender can be expected NOT to slump playing behind a team that has played as lousy as the Devils have for what, the last 5 weeks or so? It doesn't matter who the goalie is, if they're playing behind garbage, they're not going to do well.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Was nice to not have noticed Giroux at all except when Wood almost clipped him in the face while lifting his stick in celebration after his goal.

Talk about a no-show effort, Claude was already in Christmas break mode last night.

Simmonds and Gudas also played dumb games last night.

Great to see the Devils finally get under a team's skin for once.

Rebel Devil

Mar 16, 2014
And I'd hope we sit Cory tomorrow and let him sit on this performance, and put him back in there on Tuesday.

I want to see him go again tonight after the nice night last night. He didn't get a ton of work and should be plenty fresh. Nothing would bolster his confidence more than putting back to back good performances together. Yeah, I know it's going to be an angry Pens coming off of a bad loss, but it seems Cory needs to be challenged to back up his performance from last night against a strong foe. If he gets beat so be it .. take a few days off and come back strong.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Was nice to not have noticed Giroux at all except when Wood almost clipped him in the face while lifting his stick in celebration after his goal.

Talk about a no-show effort, Claude was already in Christmas break mode last night.

Simmonds and Gudas also played dumb games last night.

Great to see the Devils finally get under a team's skin for once.

Simmonds and Gudas are dirtbags.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Yes, he would be an excellent addition to our team.

One last time (I promise), Conte preferred Mike Hoeffel, we could have had Wayne.

Yes please stop. Simmonds was a late second rounder, almost everyone had two chances to draft him. You could literally do those kind of comps with any GM/scout. And Conte's been gone over a year, when are you going to stop harping on suspect choices of a guy that's long gone? That's not just beating a dead horse, that's exhuming it from the casket to beat it some more.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
What if they sweep the pens and split with the caps?

Ideally we deny the Caps any points while gaining ground. They're in the wildcard spot right now.

Denying Washington 4 points while ourselves gaining 4 points would be an enormous swing. That's why these divisional games are so important. There's plenty of time to get back in the hunt IF we pick up points while the other teams gain no ground.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010

I'm enjoying it, but also being realistic about it haha. I agree he needed an easy game, but at the same time lets see how he does going forward before we start acting like he is back to form. Hopefully they can continue to play like this. They weren't trying to run and gun like before, but they still did well with shots on net and possession. Granted the PP opportunities helped, but that is also another area that the team was struggling with. I was skeptical about Helgeson being in the lineup, but he looked solid last night, actually all the d did for the most part.
I don't mind Gazdic being in the line up, I would probably sit Kalinin for Lappin though to bring a bit more speed and skill into the lineup if we are going to have Gazdic on the 4th line. Can't have two big guys like Gazdic and Kalinin in the lineup that aren't exactly the fastest around haha.

I so wish we had Simmonds tho, hell of a player.

He is, same with Marchand. Scummy players to play against and they do some really questionable things that can hurt the team, but they are really skilled.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Apparently Bill Clement was saying that the Devils are a bunch or "impostors" and that the only reason Simmonds kept doing stuff was "because he hates guys that pretend like they're tough when they're not".

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Yes please stop. Simmonds was a late second rounder, almost everyone had two chances to draft him. You could literally do those kind of comps with any GM/scout. And Conte's been gone over a year, when are you going to stop harping on suspect choices of a guy that's long gone? That's not just beating a dead horse, that's exhuming it from the casket to beat it some more.

I know this is not the right thread, but is there a thread were we can dissect Lou Conte's work?

Years of poor drafting and asset mgmt are the main reasons why we are where we are at the moment.

Thanks.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Apparently Bill Clement was saying that the Devils are a bunch or "impostors" and that the only reason Simmonds kept doing stuff was "because he hates guys that pretend like they're tough when they're not".

What does that even mean? lol. He's just salty because Philly hasn't gotten a cup since the 70s.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
If we sweep the next 4, I'm back on the hype train lol.

Expectations need to be tempered.

Could they sweep true next four? Sure. Anything is possible.

But, this team is very fragile. They are the team that's played terribly over the past month. It's more likely they backslide a bit. Going from terrible to consistently good is hard. My sense is that they'll make progress, but we're a 2-3 weeks (at best) from the team really pulling itself out of the bad habits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad