GDT: Flyers @ Devils, 7 PM, MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Seems like every team you think is overrated or are chokers have been perennial playoff contenders lately...

So I hope we one day can choke or be overrated.

And what other team that I call overrated and a choker is perennial playoff contender lately?

I call Ottawa overrated, they're perennially in the playoffs? Montreal is overrated if not for Price, did you see when they made the playoffs last year without him?

The Flyers aren't even a perennial playoff team, Jesus Christ. They missed the playoffs in 2013 and 2015. They've missed the playoffs 2 times in the last 4 years....

How are they a perennial playoff contender?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
And what other team that I call overrated and a choker is perennial playoff contender lately?

I call Ottawa overrated, they're perennially in the playoffs?

Ottawa is in the playoffs an annoying amount for a team that's usually mediocre :laugh: Even post-glory days they haven't missed more than one straight year.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
If they want to play up tempo with Hall on the ice, then fine. But you can't play high event hockey with Kalinin on the ice

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
If they want to play up tempo with Hall on the ice, then fine. But you can't play high event hockey with Kalinin on the ice

Problem with that is sometimes you have the third-pairing defensemen on the ice at the same time as the Hall line too. You can't automatically tether Greene/Severson/Lovejoy to them and playing up tempo with the likes of Moore/Quincey/Helgeson isn't ideal either.

We? You just got here :laugh:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Ottawa is in the playoffs an annoying amount for a team that's usually mediocre :laugh: Even post-glory days they haven't missed more than one straight year.
I think they're an okay team, I also think they can upset a team or two in the playoffs. I don't think of them as contenders though. I do think their run with Hamburger guy in 2014 was a complete fluke though. As much as I laughed at Paulrus, I think they were a better team under him than I gave him or them credit for. They were kind of like us during the first month of this season. Allowed a lot of shots against but got a lot of shots for.

I know I've called the CBJ overrated and they were overrated last year. And they haven't exactly been a perennial playoff contender, they've stunk for the 2 years before this and have one playoff berth this decade and two in the 16 years they've been in existence. I don't think many people predicted them to be this good this year, that was last year when people predicted them to mow through everybody.

Some people acted like Philly was the greatest team in the world because of the recent win streak. Just like a couple people acted like the Islanders were pretty good after this fairly recent win streak, before returning to the basement again....

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar

I call Ottawa overrated, they're perennially in the playoffs? Montreal is overrated if not for Price, did you see when they made the playoffs last year without him?

The Flyers aren't even a perennial playoff team, Jesus Christ. They missed the playoffs in 2013 and 2015. They've missed the playoffs 2 times in the last 4 years....

How are they a perennial playoff contender?
You've constantly ragged on these teams in the last few years, Sharks Blues Wild Penguins Rangers Flyers Capitals...

My point being you make fun of many teams that have been solid for quite some time. Devils must be a bag of horse manure then in your eyes if the teams listed above are jokes.

Last edited:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
We? You just got here :laugh:
I LOL'd that was my first though.

I really don't think Parenteau is that bad, I'd like to not see him scratched again. He's one of a half a dozen guys that's on pace to score over 25 points this year and he's close to a 40 point pace.

Severson is on pace for over 40 points as well.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Come back to me when the Capitals win something.

Been around since 1972 (or is it 74?) and no cups.

Always lose series that they shouldn't and roll over to the Rags constantly and blow multi game series leads.

But please tell me how I'm wrong. Kalinin is still not the worst offensive forward on the roster either, right?

What does this have to do with what I said? I can't even remember my last post about him. You have the wrong poster in mind I think... or thats just a weird way to change the subject.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
You've constantly ragged on these teams in the last few years, Sharks Blues Wild Penguins Rangers Flyers Capitals...

My point being you make fun of many teams that have been solid for quite some time. Devils must be a bag of horse manure then.

Teams like the Flyers, Capitals and Wild are definitely overrated when people say these teams are cup contenders. I don't really think the Rangers are cup contenders either, at least not anymore. But at least they've made a finals in the last couple years and two conference finals in the last half decade. What the hell have those other teams done? A couple of second round appearances? And once again, the Flyers don't belong in this category because they're really not a perennial playoff team.

The Sharks are my second favorite team, as most of you know. I'm not sure I called them overrated in the past few years, though I didn't really think they were a cup contender between 2012 and last year and I didn't even consider them a contender early last season.

I think they can contend again but their bottom 6 is kind of like ours and struggles to score.

I think the Pens had their fair share of chokes between 2010-2015, for a couple different reasons. Fleury being terrible or Crosby going invisible, or both Crosby and Malkin going invisible. Last year, Sullivan ran one of the most impressive team systems I've seen in quite some time. I think they're a legit contender.

Ya know, the Blues could be a decent contender but their goaltending isn't very good. I'm not a believer in Jake Allen at all. He's not having a very good season either and he always serves up a dud in the playoffs, albeit in a small sample size.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
What does this have to do with what I said? I can't even remember my last post about him. You have the wrong poster in mind I think... or thats just a weird way to change the subject.

I only brought him up because you told me it was a narrative when I posted about him being the worst offensive forward on the team (which is not even arguable) when he couldn't score on a breakaway.;)

But it's cool, I didn't mean to snap at ya. Just breaking chops.:P

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
One thing I noticed tonight though was that they were putting D pairings with forwards though. So Greene got 9 minutes with Hall but only 2 minutes with Fiddler. The Fiddler line was out as a unit with the Merrill-Helgeson tandem also - Fiddler played 11 minutes, and 8 of it was spent with that 3rd D pairing. (Thanks to the newly re-awakened shiftchart.com for those numbers) Now you can do that in a game where you're up 3-0 in the third period - I'll be curious to see if this continues.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Is there a more medicore playoff team? They usually aren't bad enough to miss all the time, but not good enough to scare anyone
Now that I think about it, it might actually be the Flyers. They seem to make the playoffs every other year as of late and don't get past the first round. Although Ottawa seems to miss every other year and the Flyers made the playoffs almost every year between the early 90's and 2012. Was 2007 the only year they missed in that time span? But just going over recent years, I'd say it's between Ottawa and Philly.

I think the Flyers could have beaten the Rangers in round one back in 2014 (could have but not saying would have) if Mason was healthy and played much better than Emery in the games that Ray Emery played. Ray Emery started the first few games and played like Ray Emery played between 2007 and 2015.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Now that I think about it, it might actually be the Flyers. They seem to make the playoffs every other year as of late and don't get past the first round. Although Ottawa seems to miss every other year and the Flyers made the playoffs almost every year between the early 90's and 2012. Was 2007 the only year they missed in that time span? But just going over recent years, I'd say it's between Ottawa and Philly.

I think the Flyers could have beaten the Rangers in round one back in 2014 (could have but not saying would have) if Mason was healthy and played much better than Emery in the games that Ray Emery played. Ray Emery started the first few games and played like Ray Emery played between 2007 and 2015.

The Flyers have only missed the playoffs three times since 1995 :amazed:

Once was just after the lockout when they had a horrendous season and got Hitch fired, the other two times were in the last four years.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Once was just after the lockout when they had a horrendous season and got Hitch fired, the other two times were in the last four years.

I remembered the time they missed in 07, then made the conference finals the next year and lost to Philly.

I knew they had a pretty long streak in there, not quite as long as ours though.

And in that time, I think they've made two cup finals? They had the one in 2010 and I'm pretty sure they lost one of those years the Red Wings won back to back cups in the late 90's. The Craps were the other team they played.

BadFella

"$8 Million Goalie My Ass!"
Jan 9, 2013
Exit 105
I feel really bad for Stolarz, local kid & grew up a Devils fan, but we needed this game and it was cathartic to watch us sh-- on someone for a change.

Our PP was still garbage though. Can't even get shots off.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I do find it hilarious that this board generally fills up GDTs when we lose, and can barely half fill one on a win.

I think we had like a 14 page GDT going during the big winning streak

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
So should we hold off on sending Cory to the glue factory?

So his relatively easy 16 shot shutout negates how bad he has been? Lets see him put together either another shutout or not give up more than 3 goals in his next start haha.

hutter

Mar 6, 2014

The big problem with them post-pronger was a garbage defensive core. I'm not going to say that's totally changed yet, but I'm also not buying that they're as good as they're currently playing.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
So his relatively easy 16 shot shutout negates how bad he has been? Lets see him put together either another shutout or not give up more than 3 goals in his next start haha.

He has put together 2 really good games in his last 3 starts for the first time in over a month. Even though this was probably his easiest shutout as a Devil, it was needed for his confidence.

As I said earlier even before this game, I fully expect Cory to get hot and go on a run where we win a ******** of games 2-1 or even games where he only allows 0-2 goals against and we'll get back in the bubble race somewhat. I think we've probably screwed our chances of making it in, barring a really huge run. But I expect him to heat up and we possibly finish with 88-90 points if that happens. I expect his numbers to progress to the mean and this team to drive us crazy and get back to a respectable position.

But sadly, I also expect we'll have some brutal losses down the stretch to teams that will finish below us. which will ultimately help keep us out of the playoffs. Much like those brutal losses to the CBJ when they were terrible last year or those two losses in a one week span to Ottawa back in March 2011 with Lemaire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad